Connecting CPU Fan To USB Wire

Axel10

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Hi guys,
As I've mentioned above,I want to join a CPU fan to a USB cable to power supply it.I've seen a video in which the guy had a fan with red,black and yellow wires.but mine have green,black,yellow wires.
So,I'm little confused about that.Can someone please tell me which of the two wires should be connected to USB cable's red and black wires???????

Solution

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMoQ1vDiAI

Then fan is almost definitely 12Volts but if it's a 3-pin CPU fan it will be voltage-controlled thus vary its speed by the voltage. That means 5Volts from USB will work, it will just run slower.

I'm not sure how easy this will be for you, or if you'll really get much cooling. You can...
CPU fans are normally 12 Volts and USB supplies 5 Volts so it's probably not a good idea.

The CPU fan should also be connected to the motherboard CPU_FAN connection if possible. Any reason why not?

There are 4-pin MOLEX adapters as well for fans that connect to the +12V and Ground though you'll get no fan control as you would with the motherboard and fan control software (though the fan must be PWM or Voltage if the motherboard requires one or the other or the fan still spins at one speed.)

Axel10

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Actually buddy I'm kind of den't like to waste money and I want to build a cooler for my laptop.So can you help me out????
I just want the output power from usb to rotate the fan whether the RPM is 100 or 1000!!!

Axel10

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Actually I am going to make a laptop cooler using an old computer cpu cooler fan.
So I just want to ask you that am i be able to get the highest output of the fan by connecting it to the usb output of laptop.
I also dont know what is the operating voltage of the fan.......

VIDEO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKMoQ1vDiAI

Then fan is almost definitely 12Volts but if it's a 3-pin CPU fan it will be voltage-controlled thus vary its speed by the voltage. That means 5Volts from USB will work, it will just run slower.

I'm not sure how easy this will be for you, or if you'll really get much cooling. You can monitor the CPU temperature then turn on the fan to see if it makes a difference. I really don't see the point myself.

Solution

Axel10

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

Thnx for answering my qstns buddy.The link is also very useful.