[SOLVED] Connecting DSL Modem via Cat6

Aug 28, 2019
Ok, so I have a new house under construction and need some guidance on how to connect my DSL modem to the Cat6 line coming into my house. My initial thought is to convert the cat6 cable to an RJ11 end which plugs directly into the modem, then connect the modem to the router via rj45 connections.

Does this sound right or is there a better way to go about this?

Thanks!

Solution
My initial thought is to convert the cat6 cable to an RJ11 end which plugs directly into the modem
Totally unnecessary.

U can plug a landline RJ11 plug into a RJ45 jack just fine, just gotta be careful that the plug goes in CENTERED. RJ11 simply uses the middle 2 pins of the RJ45.
Aug 28, 2019
The house was pre-wired with Cat6 and there are two redundant lines running outside where the phone company has made a connection to. The two redundant lines then run to the structured media enclosure in the house which is where I need to figure out how to get connected to the modem.

Last edited:
Your plan will work the dsl can run on cat3 wire. Although it is hard to crimp a ethernet cable into a rj11 neatly it works fine just be careful to not put any stress on the wires you only have the tiny metal pins holding the cable since you can't crimp the jacket into the plug.