[SOLVED] Connecting fans

Jan 24, 2021
Hi there,

I'm trying to correctly connect my fans and my AIO.
Currently it is like so:
  • aio connected to aio_pump
  • radiator fans of aio connected through splitter cable to cpu_opt
  • case fans connected to Fan Hub which is connected through PWM with cpu_fan

Is this right?
The mobo has other connectors: cha_fan1, cha_fan2, cha_fan3 and w_pump+

Thanks!

CPU | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor | $548.74 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler | NZXT Kraken X73 73.11 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $159.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard | Asus PRIME X570-PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard | $243.72 @ Amazon
Memory | Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory | $221.59 @ Amazon
Storage | Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $108.48 @ Amazon
Video Card | MSI GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING X TRIO Video Card | $1155.67 @ Amazon
Case | Fractal Design Define 7 ATX Mid Tower Case |-
Power Supply | Cooler Master V Gold V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply |-

Solution
Do you mean to say I should connect my case fans directly to the mobo on the cha_fan connectors? So I shouldn't connect them to my fan hub? As you can see in my original post I mentioned the fractal design case which has a fan hub. This fan hub has 2 parts, one with pwm 4 pin connectors and also 3 pin connectors.

What I've done now is, I connected the aio radiator fans to the pwm 4 pin connectors and the case fans to the 3 pin connectors. So all my fans are now on the fan hub.

Does it make a difference? What I now assume is that everything will be based off of the cpu temperature, with other components not taken into account, like gpu temp, ram temp, mobo temp, ...

Ideally, it should go like this:

CPU/AIO fan -> CPU_FAN...
If you can, switch the header your radiator fans are plugged into with your case funs/fan hub. CPU_OPT is the secondary CPU fan header while CPU_fan is the primary. If your BIOS controls the PWM, the CPU_fan header will adjust the PWM according the CPU temp while CPU_OPT usually adjusts according to motherboard temp. If however you're using third party software to control pwm per header manually, then it doesn't matter what fan header you use.

Reactions: alexbirdie
Jan 24, 2021
Case-fans to cha-fan ...

Do you mean to say I should connect my case fans directly to the mobo on the cha_fan connectors? So I shouldn't connect them to my fan hub? As you can see in my original post I mentioned the fractal design case which has a fan hub. This fan hub has 2 parts, one with pwm 4 pin connectors and also 3 pin connectors.

What I've done now is, I connected the aio radiator fans to the pwm 4 pin connectors and the case fans to the 3 pin connectors. So all my fans are now on the fan hub.

Does it make a difference? What I now assume is that everything will be based off of the cpu temperature, with other components not taken into account, like gpu temp, ram temp, mobo temp, ...

Ideally, it should go like this:

CPU/AIO fan -> CPU_FAN header (check if your board has a dedicated pump/AIO header, you can also plug it in there.)
Case fans (multiple fans) -> fan hub -> Sys_fan / case_fan header.

There is no real issue with plugging any fan cable into any fan header on the motherboard, but for managing your PWM speeds what I wrote above is the best method to set it up in if you are able.

Please note I am talking about FAN headers, nor RGB plugs. Those require SPECIFIC headers if you have 5v or 12v RGB cables. Please refer to your manual if you need further guidance on what kind of cable your RGB components have if applicable.

Solution