Connecting GT-AC5300 to modem router

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
Hi all, basically I've purchased a new router as I'll soon be changing ISP to a cable connection, however as it might take a little while for this to happen I figured in the meantime I'd run my current DSL connection through my old modem router into my new router.

The issue is I have connected everything and set up the new router through the WAN settings and have put in my ISP password and username, and yet it still won't connect. I'm aware I need to more the modem router into bridge mode, but I don't want to do that until after the new router is working as I have no devices that have ethernet ports to undo moving it to bridge mode if I can't make it work.

Essentially if someone can give me a detailed step by step guide on how to set up a router with a modem router that'd be fantastic.

You don't need any userid and password if you are not going to bridge the dsl router. Only the device that talks directly to the ISP will use the userid and that is the DSL modem/router.

Just hook the new router wan port to any lan port on the dsl router. Not sure why you would want to do that it will not make your connect any faster. Running 2 routers in the path mostly only causes issues with game consoles.

Nothing to be gained by attempting to use both routers in that configuration -- just unnecessary hassle & headache.

The only time it makes sense to use two routers is if you want to use an existing spare one as a WiFi extender to avoid having to buy a dedicated extender. That's not your situation.

Use only the old modem/router whilst your still on ADSL service.

Switch to the new cable router only after your switchover to fibre service has been confirmed by the new ISP.

wehler53

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2013
I'm not in anyway planning on using two router's, once I have the new router set up the old modem router will be used simply as a modem only, and the new router will be used as the router for the internet connection.

The current modem router will ONLY serve as a modem.