[SOLVED] connecting IEEE1934 source to HDMI port : please help me with adaptor

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
Please kindly help me to get a solution to connect a video signal source (SONY HDRF-X1 camcoder) to HDMI port.
An adapter from IEEE1934 to HDMI would help me -- please kindly advise me.

The camcoder has output possibilities :
  • IEEE1394, named i.LINK® DV
  • a proprietary A/V output (as 3.5mm stereo mini-jack ) trough a proprietary cable with code 1-837-320-21

I have to connect the camcoder to a HDMI port.

I would be grateful if you would help me !
Emma

Solution
No such thing exists, FireWire is a data connection like USB, and while there are USB video cards with HDMI, there are no such things using FireWire.
What you can do is use the A/V output cables and get an HDMI adapter for those, or use a capture card.
No such thing exists, FireWire is a data connection like USB, and while there are USB video cards with HDMI, there are no such things using FireWire.
What you can do is use the A/V output cables and get an HDMI adapter for those, or use a capture card.

Solution

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
You can buy a PCIe Firewire card for a desktop PC (1394, not 1934), for older PC's 1394 PCI adaptors are available as well, and for laptops you are looking for express card connection and for an old laptop PCMCIA card.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=1394+pcie&_sacat=0&_sop=15
Thank you for your help!
The device I have to connect is : Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro Switcher Video HDMI
https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini/techspecs/W-APS-14
I made attempts to search for adaptor, but I was not able to figure out any solution.

I would be grateful if you would advise me !

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Blackmagic-Design-Switcher-Authorized-Reseller/dp/B08711XK6W

I made attempts to search for adaptor, but I was not able to figure out any solution.

https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Blackmagic-Design-Switcher-Authorized-Reseller/dp/B08711XK6W

OK so that has an HDMI input, you need a converter for whatever video out the camcorder you are using has to HDMI.

Reactions: EmmaDobozi

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
OK so that has an HDMI input, you need a converter for whatever video out the camcorder you are using has to HDMI.
Firewire to HDMI is possible, but it can only "display" on the screen and not be used to copy/transfer the data from the Camcorder.

The OP needs to have a firewire port on their computer to copy/transfer the video from the camcorder into a digital file on their computer.

There are options available for laptops and desktops.

I am not sure with the OP's camcorder, but the only ones I am familiar with can only transfer pictures taken with the camcorder via USB, not video so that may not even be an option either.

To quote myself.

You can buy a PCIe Firewire card for a desktop PC (1394, not 1934), for older PC's 1394 PCI adaptors are available as well, and for laptops you are looking for express card connection and for an old laptop PCMCIA card.

Firewire to HDMI is possible, but it can only "display" on the screen and not be used to copy/transfer the data from the Camcorder.

The OP needs to have a firewire port on their computer to copy/transfer the video from the camcorder into a digital file on their computer.

There are options available for laptops and desktops.

I am not sure with the OP's camcorder, but the only ones I am familiar with can only transfer pictures taken with the camcorder via USB, not video so that may not even be an option either.

To quote myself.

What will get Firewire to display a screen using HDMI? I have never seen or heard of Firewire used for this.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
What will get Firewire to display a screen using HDMI? I have never seen or heard of Firewire used for this.
Neither have I, but HDMI is a one way connection, and such cables purportedly exist.

HDMI being one way, is one way FROM the computer, so in "theory" it is possible to have FireWire to HDMI video OUT, but not FireWire to video IN on the computer.

Unless playing a video from the video-cam straight to a screen is what the OP actually wants, then this is a useless option, and I cannot see any good reason to do this... The OP needs to have a FireWire connection on their PC, and there are various options available (far more for a desktop, and none for a new laptop that does not even have an ExpressCard slot).!

Perhaps the OP could tell us what computer they are using and then I would be happy to suggest a single product (plus perhaps a cable as FireWire has more than one cable type) and then we can bring a happy end to this question :)

Neither have I, but HDMI is a one way connection, and such cables purportedly exist.

HDMI being one way, is one way FROM the computer, so in "theory" it is possible to have FireWire to HDMI video OUT, but not FireWire to video IN on the computer.

Unless playing a video from the video-cam straight to a screen is what the OP actually wants, then this is a useless option, and I cannot see any good reason to do this... The OP needs to have a FireWire connection on their PC, and there are various options available (far more for a desktop, and none for a new laptop that does not even have an ExpressCard slot).!

Perhaps the OP could tell us what computer they are using and then I would be happy to suggest a single product (plus perhaps a cable as FireWire has more than one cable type) and then we can bring a happy end to this question :)

Just because one is an output of something and the other thing in an input does not mean it will work. Firewire is for data not a video signal, I've never seen a Firewire to video adapter. You can use a Firewire connection to the computer with a Firewire port to send the file to the computer but you can't send the video directly to an HDMI port like on a TV. You need to use the video out on the camcorder and then use that output with a converter to get it to HDMI.

If you read the later post it's for connecting to a Blackmagic HDMI switcher. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...se-help-me-with-adaptor.3701046/post-22303850

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
Just because one is an output of something and the other thing in an input does not mean it will work. Firewire is for data not a video signal, I've never seen a Firewire to video adapter. You can use a Firewire connection to the computer with a Firewire port to send the file to the computer but you can't send the video directly to an HDMI port like on a TV. You need to use the video out on the camcorder and then use that output with a converter to get it to HDMI.

If you read the later post it's for connecting to a Blackmagic HDMI switcher. https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...se-help-me-with-adaptor.3701046/post-22303850
Please re-read my first two paragraphs that you quoted, thanks 👍

Also, feel free to suggest something that the OP can use that will work rather than trying to pick holes in me trying to help the OP, this 👆 isn't helping anyone.

TheJoker2020

Commendable
Oct 13, 2020
I found this on videomaker.com forums from 2006.

"There is no actual adapter that I have ever found that you could use to switch from Firewire to HDMI. Probably because they both really operate on very different standards. HDMI (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) is one of the fastest (hard wire) interfaces out there and is capable of handling 5 Gbps while IEEE1394 (Firewire) is only capable of 400 Mbps. There is an IEEE 1394b protocol that can handle up to 800 Mbps put the most common one is 1394a. Needless to say these would not really complement each other. The other issue is that Firewire utilizes 4 contacts (6 with power) while HDMI uses 19 contacts. There must be some reason why they can’t interface these two together. HDMI is however backward compatible with DVI.
From what I read, HDMI will probably end up being the future’s universal interface of choice because it can handle everything and anything from simple 2-channel digital sound to the very demanding 720p, 1080i, and even 1080p HD signals and still have plenty of headroom for future technologies.
Youre only chance to interface you camera to your TV would be if you had some other kind of attached unit such as a DVD player, cable box or an exotic stereo amp that excepted a Firewire plug. Otherwise you would be regulated to S-video or Component video connections."

As for the video cameras other outputs, I have already (part) answered USB, and to my knowledge the other outputs are analog only.

I hope that this helps clear this up for the OP 👍

Please re-read my first two paragraphs that you quoted, thanks 👍

Also, feel free to suggest something that the OP can use that will work rather than trying to pick holes in me trying to help the OP, this 👆 isn't helping anyone.

Yes I did give the solution a few times, a converter is needed for the video out on the camera to HDMI, whatever that cable it comes with has. Probably composite or component.

It was also listed what is being used that needs HDMI: "Blackmagic ATEM Mini Pro Switcher Video HDMI". That is not a computer but a video switcher, such a high end one is usually used for video production like streaming video, TV, corporate display, etc... so basically would be same as a monitor or TV connection for the signal it needs. That "HDMI Port" is not on a computer or an actual screen.

Last edited:

EmmaDobozi

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2013
I was away for about a month, but now I can / must deal with the question, and apply the solution that you provided.
I am very thankful for your insight and guidance.

I now understand that would be impossible to find such an adaptor (the one that I was hoping for).
After repeated and more determined search I found (the missing) proprietary audio-video cable that allows to connect the camera (without having to include a PC with a special card). I understand that the signal is "only" analogue, but nevertheless this seems to be the only way to use the old camera. I will buy an AV to HDMI converter.

I am very grateful for your kindness and true help !