Question Connecting Kanto YU2 Speakers to Samsung TV/Optical Output ?

Dec 21, 2022
I bought Kanto Yu2 speakers and used them with my laptop for a while. Now, I simply want to connect and leave them connected to a Samsung smart TV. I bought an Optical cable to AUX cable and tried connecting them to the speakers but it does not work. There is no sound. There is no option for AUX to AUX and obviously no bluetooth available on the speakers.

What are my options for connecting Kanto YU2 speakers to a Samsung TV. Can I purchase a device that will allow me to have bluetooth on the speakers?

So far, I've read that it might be possible to connect the speakers to FX Audio DAC-x6 MK2, which would add bluetooth to Kanto Yu2 speakers. Is that correct? Can I also connect it wired as well for even higher quality sound?

Could you please confirm my options for this? Thanks!

Dec 21, 2022
I just looked those speakers up and I don't see any TOSLINK port on the back, it's looks like regular bananna plugs or 3.5mm stereo. What is the model of the Samsung TV so I can lookup it's connectors? There should be a selection of output options.

Thanks for the help. Yep, they are these speakers Kanto Yu2, they also list the specs there, in case that helps or can give some better ideas. It doesn't have any special ports, only USB and regular AUX.

The TV is Samsung UA55MU7000, but there is nothing to connect directly to the TV - it has a connected hub that can connect USB, HDMI, Optical (digital audio output), AV in/Component In, and Ant in. I've tried to connect via Optical (I think my speakers do not support it), AUX and USB. Nothing works.

Is it true though I might be able to connect a DAC (example FX Audio DAC-x6 MK2) to the speakers to get Optical support + bluetooth support?

Thanks again

Ok "Aux" is not a port type, it's just the name of that connector, which is 3.5mm stereo. TOSLink is the name of the Optical connection and the protocol is SPDIF, that is used almost exclusively between a receiver and a device like a HDTV. The USB port on your TV is not for speakers, it's so you an insert a thumbdrive with media files and the TV will play them. The Samsung has composite RCA stereo out, which is the exact same signal as a 3.5mm stereo plug so you can use an adapter cable, they are cheap and I'm surprised you don't have one lying around somehwere.

Samsung TV Manual
https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/...123105453356/ENG_KTMDVBARL-3.1.2_171206.0.pdf

3.5mm to RCA adapter cable
https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-3-5mm-2-Male-Adapter-Stereo/dp/B01D5H8JW0?th=1

Actually getting conflicting info, could you take a clear well lit picture of what the back of the TV looks like, the spot with all the connectors and most importantly what the text near them says? Apparently some models of that TV have the RCA stereo out while others only have the Optical Out.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022
Okay, I've uploaded the photos here:
https://ibb.co/fF6ZzzN
https://ibb.co/ykWM41B

Appreciate the information. Doing my best to understand it all. The TV doesn't seem to have any ports except to connect to power and to the "smart hub" (attached in the photos). I am unclear though why the cable I also shared in the photos doesn't simply work (TOSLink/optical out from TV to 3.5mm stereo speakers). That would be the easiest solution.

To clarify, the 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable is different from the one I shared with you and am trying to use right? I don't see any place where the RCA would fit though.

The TV is mounted on the wall (in a long term rental) and it looks really insecure if I try to pop it out more. I can't see what the exact outputs directly to the TV unless I took it completely down which I don't feel comfortable to do. It would also be better and easier anyways if I can connect it to the Hub so that I can also easily control it from the settings.

Sorry but once again, I tried to watch videos and read up but I still don't entirely understand what a DAC is, and therefore whether it is possible to connect the Kanto Yu2 speakers to another DAC, which could give additional support such as bluetooth and optical?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2022
Alternatively, it looks like I need to purchase a "digital to analog converter" like this or this. Then I need an Optical to Optical (TOSLink to TOSLink) cable to connect the TV to the converter. And then I can use my regular AUX (3.5mm stereo) cable from the converter to my speakers. Is that correct?

Is there any other option? If this will work then I can give it a try too. It would be a lot of extra space and cables which is not ideal, but fine if it's the only option.

EDIT:
As I'm reading more, it looks like the "digital to analog converter" is in fact a DAC itself. So then I wonder, should I just upgrade to the FX-Audio DAC-X6 MKII , connect it to my speakers and then I can also get Bluetooth access? Is this in fact true and possible?

Last edited:
Okay, I've uploaded the photos here:
https://ibb.co/fF6ZzzN
https://ibb.co/ykWM41B

Appreciate the information. Doing my best to understand it all. The TV doesn't seem to have any ports except to connect to power and to the "smart hub" (attached in the photos). I am unclear though why the cable I also shared in the photos doesn't simply work (TOSLink/optical out from TV to 3.5mm stereo speakers). That would be the easiest solution.

To clarify, the 3.5mm to RCA adapter cable is different from the one I shared with you and am trying to use right? I don't see any place where the RCA would fit though.

The TV is mounted on the wall (in a long term rental) and it looks really insecure if I try to pop it out more. I can't see what the exact outputs directly to the TV unless I took it completely down which I don't feel comfortable to do. It would also be better and easier anyways if I can connect it to the Hub so that I can also easily control it from the settings.

Sorry but once again, I tried to watch videos and read up but I still don't entirely understand what a DAC is, and therefore whether it is possible to connect the Kanto Yu2 speakers to another DAC, which could give additional support such as bluetooth and optical?

So the TV doesn't have any ports on the back, just a link to that hub device? In that case it doesn't have any analogue out and you'll need to either skip it entirely or buy a converter.

Just so you understand, TOSLink is the port standard and use's Fiber Optics and a digital signal, as in light not electricity. 3.5mm stereo is an electrical standard and use's analogue electrical signals to communication, they are not only completely different protocols but different mediums. Calling them "incompatible" would be an understatement. If you really want to use those external speakers then you'll need to get a media converter from TOSLink SPDIF to 3.5mm stereo.

You will need something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Digital-Converter-Toslink-Coaxial/dp/B07C5VZVKD

TOSLink from TV to Converter then 3.5mm from Converter to Speakers.

I normally don't like this kind of janky setup, but it's your choice.

Dec 21, 2022
So the TV doesn't have any ports on the back, just a link to that hub device? In that case it doesn't have any analogue out and you'll need to either skip it entirely or buy a converted.

Just so you understand, TOSLink is the port standard and use's Fiber Optics and a digital signal, as in light not electricity. 3.5mm stereo is an electrical standard and use's analogue electrical signals to communication, they are not only completely different protocols but different mediums. Calling them "incompatible" would be an understatement. If you really want to use those external speakers then you'll need to get a media converter from TOSLink SPDIF to 3.5mm stereo.

You will need something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Easycel-Digital-Converter-Toslink-Coaxial/dp/B07C5VZVKD

TOSLink from TV to Converter then 3.5mm from Converter to Speakers.

I normally don't like this kind of janky setup, but it's your choice.

Ah got it, so it sounds like the converter might be one of the only options. I would prefer not having a setup like this either, so I'm curious if there is any other alternative as well? Also, would it significantly reduce the quality of audio - to the point where it's hardly even worth using the speakers?

Also, would the setup be compatible with this device to allow digital to analog conversion while simultaneously allowing bluetooth support for the speakers?
https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Bluetooth-Digital-Headphone-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B08HQFNX1V

Regardless, if I prefer not having a janky setup like this either, is there any other alternative?

Ah got it, so it sounds like the converter might be one of the only options. I would prefer not having a setup like this either, so I'm curious if there is any other alternative as well? Also, would it significantly reduce the quality of audio - to the point where it's hardly even worth using the speakers?

Also, would the setup be compatible with this device to allow digital to analog conversion while simultaneously allowing bluetooth support for the speakers?
https://www.amazon.com/FX-Audio-Bluetooth-Digital-Headphone-Pre-Amplifier/dp/B08HQFNX1V

Regardless, if I prefer not having a janky setup like this either, is there any other alternative?

Yes, the "proper" way to do Home Theater setups is to have a central receiver that receives all the audio data then conditions / amplifies / formats that audio and outputs it to the speakers. That is what that optical output on the TV's box is for, it would go to the receiver and the receiver would then format / condition it for a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

They aren't cheap, the lower end models will cost a few hundred USD with the better ones going for a few thousand. Though a good quality receiver will last years and only need changed if there is a new feature you want. My Yamaha RX-V3800 is still in use and doing great, though it cost me something like $2500 over a decade ago (bought around 2009 I think).

Also that blue tooth device is even more janky then just a direct signal converter. When doing crazy stuff like this, it's always best to keep it as simple and direct as possible.

Dec 21, 2022
Yes, the "proper" way to do Home Theater setups is to have a central receiver that receives all the audio data then conditions / amplifies / formats that audio and outputs it to the speakers. That is what that optical output on the TV's box is for, it would go to the receiver and the receiver would then format / condition it for a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

They aren't cheap, the lower end models will cost a few hundred USD with the better ones going for a few thousand. Though a good quality receiver will last years and only need changed if there is a new feature you want. My Yamaha RX-V3800 is still in use and doing great, though it cost me something like $2500 over a decade ago (bought around 2009 I think).

Also that blue tooth device is even more janky then just a direct signal converter. When doing crazy stuff like this, it's always best to keep it as simple and direct as possible.

Could you clarify what you mean by it being a "janky" setup? It would work and provide everything I need at decent audio quality - just not look the best on the shelf?

Could you clarify what you mean by it being a "janky" setup? It would work and provide everything I need at decent audio quality - just not look the best on the shelf?

The more complexity you add to a configuration the higher likelihood something isn't going to work right or some future change will break it. You have a set of spears that you want your audio to come from, the TV is what the source of that audio is, they use different protocols. The simplest and easiest solution is to get a direct inline adapter, plug them in and call it a day. Trying to over complicate thing with a wireless signal on a device that doesn't need wireless signals is just asking for a headache.