[SOLVED] Connecting Microsoft Account to Win10

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Hey all!

I just activated my Windows 10 with a digital licence.

If I connect my Microsoft account to my activated PC now will the digital licence connect to it?

So in the event my pc fails or I move onto another new pc will all I have to do is sign in with my Microsoft account and windows will be activated?

Was just looking for some clarity on that and how it works exactly, as well as any other features of connecting your Microsoft account.

Thank you :)

Solution
You can configure that to your liking, but it will be a bare install every time.
I have mine set to sync some basic settings (like themes), but no programs are associated with the MS account.

Vellaura

Reputable
Nov 30, 2020
Yes, and yes.
Your account will associate with the product key you entered and will be used for re-activation from here on out (you just click "I dont have a key" then sign in later).
This is the method I have been using for years across multiple reinstalls of windows.

More reading: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/activate-windows-10-c39005d4-95ee-b91e-b399-2820fda32227

Awesome thank you very much. I had the unfortunate event of my pc failing on me with windows 10 on it. I couldn't get back into it and I hadn't signed in with a Microsoft account, also wasn't sure if it was a retail key or oem.

I was not really inclined to sign in at the time because I didn't want crap to come back every time I did a format, wanted that "clean" install feel. Does it bring anything else with it other then activating windows?