[SOLVED] Connecting motherboard or GPU to monitor - what's the difference?

Sep 10, 2020
I heard if you connected the monitor to GPU instead of the monitor, you would get better frames. I play Fortnite, currently connected to motherboard, running at 120fps creative and 80fps solos, I have a Intel i3-6100 (i think) and a GTX 950. Would connecting it to the GPU really make a difference? And can anyone explain to me how it generally works?

(With my previous post i wanted to consider buying a VGA-DVI adapter to connect to the GPU instead (I don't have any VGA ports in GPU, but since I have not bought it yet i'm just asking to find out how and if it would impact frames.) thanks!

Solution
But while playing even though i'm connected to motherboard it still says in the task manager that its using the GTX 950. So is it actually using GPU even in this case? Or am i dumb and don't understand something and its how it's meant to be?

You can download GPU-Z to verify whether you are indeed using your 950. However, as I no longer have a desktop, I can't really verify the new technology. Only thing I can tell you is that on a laptop, the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) is filtered through the integrated (Intel HD) via something called Optimus driver. In such cases, laptops only have 1 output for both GPUs and you will be using both when you use the dedicated.

Since desktops do not use optimus, it reasons whichever GPU port you are...
Sep 10, 2020
GTX950 is about 4x stronger than integrated HD630 graphics.
Connect your monitor to the GTX950 for best performance
But while playing even though i'm connected to motherboard it still says in the task manager that its using the GTX 950. So is it actually using GPU even in this case? Or am i dumb and don't understand something and its how it's meant to be?

dimtodim

Reputable
I heard if you connected the monitor to GPU instead of the monitor, you would get better frames. I play Fortnite, currently connected to motherboard, running at 120fps creative and 80fps solos, I have a Intel i3-6100 (i think) and a GTX 950. Would connecting it to the GPU really make a difference? And can anyone explain to me how it generally works?

(With my previous post i wanted to consider buying a VGA-DVI adapter to connect to the GPU instead (I don't have any VGA ports in GPU, but since I have not bought it yet i'm just asking to find out how and if it would impact frames.) thanks!
u will get best result if use display port for monitor

If the cable from the monitor is plugged into the motherboard, you will be using integrated graphics.
If your cable is plugged into the graphics card, you will be using the graphics card.

Nitromon

Honorable
Feb 14, 2015

You can download GPU-Z to verify whether you are indeed using your 950. However, as I no longer have a desktop, I can't really verify the new technology. Only thing I can tell you is that on a laptop, the dedicated GPU (Nvidia) is filtered through the integrated (Intel HD) via something called Optimus driver. In such cases, laptops only have 1 output for both GPUs and you will be using both when you use the dedicated.

Since desktops do not use optimus, it reasons whichever GPU port you are using, that is the GPU you are using. However, I cannot be sure as I do not know your desktop, perhaps the vendor installed optimus on your system and your dedicated GPU is filtered through the integrated. In such cases, I don't think it really matters.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS