Connecting multiple computers for file sharing [OFFLINE]

Jan 12, 2019
Hello I need to create an offline network connecting 8 computers together so they can all share files between them and store them to a common storage area where they can all access it. Since this is offline I'll be using ethernet cables to connect them. Can anyone guide on how this can be done? Do I need a server or some sort of storage unit where all the computers will connect?

In windows you find instructions on how to do it. You can right click a folder and hit share and set a few things. Then on another windows you can add a drive/share and type //share or what ever it was.

A 24/7 share is typically called a NAS. You can buy 2 disk NAS for < $150(no disks) or so from Synology. These don't use much power and for 24/7 use it's going to use much less power over years of use. Synology has made their gui for ease of configuration. I recommend a large 2 disk mirror. If any part of it dies you can plug either drive into another pc and read files.

If you have multiple PC talking to the Internet, you already have a LAN (LAN=Local Area Network, ties your PC together so they can talk to each other as well as having a common door to the Internet). Now all you have to do is configure Windows for FILE SHARING. ^Failboat goes into more details.

USAFRet

Titan

A prebuilt NAS (Qnap, Synology, Theacus) is about as easy as it gets.

The PC's, a 2 bay NAS for ~$170 + drives, all connected to a common router....doesn't get much easier for "a common storage area".

USAFRet

Titan

Ah, OK.

"data recovery" should never be "plugging drives into different systems".
Actual backups are needed.

USAFRet

Titan
Just like this:
QGhRuU8.png

The router exists only to distribute IP addresses.