Connecting My Gaming Rig to a Monitor and a Big LED Smart TV in the Next Room with Home Cinema

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,
I have recently invested into a high quality home cinema, which includes:
Pioneer VSX-823-K Receiver
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-823-K
A 5.1 Speaker System: a Morel Solan (front) + Morel Primo SP1 (back) + Morel Sub8 (sub).
http://www.morelhifi.com/home-audio/solan
My TV is: 55" SAMSUNG LED SMART TV: UA55D6400
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/814260-REG/Samsung_UA_55D6400_UA55D6400_55_Series_6.html

My Gaming rig is:
Mobo: Asus Savertooth Z77
GPU: Asus 670 GTX DC2T ------> saving to upgrade to 880ti GTX (when/if it comes out).
CPU: Core i5-3570K @3.40 Ghz (OC @4.40 Ghz)
RAM: 2X8GB G.Skill Ripjaw-X DDR3 1600Mhz
SSD: Crucial Solid Series 256GB CT256M4SSD2 SSD
HD: Western Digital Black 2 TB.
Monitor: LG IPS 237 (23" LED IPS) ---> Plan on upgrading to Asus VG 248QE in the future.

Now here is the issue:
I want to be able to swap between gaming on my pc monitor in my bedroom, and gaming in the next room - which is the living room - with my home cinema surround and big screen.
I have a wireless Xbox360 controller, and will probably also buy a wireless mouse later - Logitech G700s.

My annoying, buggy, LG IPS237 pc monitor is only running on HDMI (yes... no DVI..). But to solve this I bought a *HDMI to DVI* cable, which sits in waiting. Not sure if this lowers quality or performance?!

My 670 GTX GPU has 1 HDMI port, and 2 DVI ports. Currently my single monitor is connected via hdmi, like I said.
The living room is right across the wall:
I have measured roughly 7-8 meters total between my PC to the Pioneer Receiver.
(The cable is planned to run from the GPU, through the wall, then at floor level - along the floor panel, all the way to the receiver).

My questions are:
A) is there any performance loss in having a monitor and a TV connected into my GPU?
B) I generally won't need to display the game/windows both in the monitor and TV at the same time (since I am not in my bedroom), unless I want to go back to my room and use the mouse and keyboard to access a game or menu in windows: How do I swap between the two port / displays?
(I might simply turn off the PC monitor with the power button - and let both displays run).
C) HOW LONG CAN MY HDMI CABLE BE WITHOUT LOSING AN SIGNAL QUALITY?
It is very important to me to find the best length and cable type, so that I won't lose any quality or performance. Can you guys help me find the right cable and length? I searched online and found no clear answers.
I don't want to use any extensions, boosters, etc..
So simply put: how long can my HDMI run before I start losing quality? and can you post links from ebay perhaps of the best cable for my settings? Like I said, distance is roughly 7-8 meters max.

Will appreciate any guidance and tips on how to establish this connection between my PC and my Home Cinema. It's a big project for me, and I have never done such a thing (nor have I ever connected my PC to a TV), thus I need help from serious gamers and experts!
Thank you!

Solution

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

How can I use the HDMI on the mobo? that will lose the performance and benefits of my GPU?
Is there any other workaround or solution? you sure it losses quality?

The HDMI only PC monitor issue, will be solved once I can buy the Asus VG 248QE from Amazon.com. For now, Amazon don't sell it, only Amazon licensed sellers, which don't ship to Israel, where I live.

About the HDMI cable, which length should I buy? and can you perhaps give me a few links of good quality cables for the job? (from ebay). I really want to avoid any loss of quality or delay/lag. (I think the distance is from 6.5-8 max actually..)
Still not sure how to run both properly, and how to swap - if I even need to swap?: is there even any quality or performance loss when displaying at the same time, in a heavy game for instance - the same picture...? I assume there is...

dashboy1998

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
No, you wont lose the performance of your GPU: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1709601/multiple-monitors-outputs-gpu-motherboard.html
The best thing to do for "B" is to copy your screen (If both your monitor and TV are 1920 x 1080p)
If you have windows 8 this is how you copy your screen: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Two-Monitors-with-Windows-8
HDMI: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SIIG-Flat-HDMI-Cable-10-meters-33-feet-/291075604724?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43c57540f4
oh your monitor will be fine till then

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

I have read the topic you gave me, but I still have some questions:
1. YES, it is possible to connect another screen to the HDMI port of your Mobo: but that will mean this screen is displayed through the weak, on-board GPU - and NOT through the dedicated powerful Nvidia GPU.
I don't want to have any performance loss when playing a game with my PC monitor in my bedroom.
So to put it simply:
I want to be able to play some games in my room, in front of the pc monitor, with mouse and keyboard: for example fps games, Thief, Dishonored etc.
While other games I will play using the PC, an Xbox 360 Wireless controller, but in front of the big screen, on a couch, in the living room: such as Skyrim and The Witcher 3.
So if I run a game, when I am in my room, with my 23" pc monitor, that's connected to the onboard gpu, I will lose a hell lot of performance if I can even play the game. right?

2. Can anybody else confirm that HDMI to DVI cable losses quality/performance over the HDMI cable?
My HDMI to DVI is similar to this:http://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-Speed-Adapter-Cable-Meters/dp/B004S4R5CK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392131498&sr=8-2&keywords=hdmi+to+dvi++cable1.4
gold plated, 1.4 3d capable, 3 meters, etc.

3. Thanks for the awesome guide on how to copy my display on two separate monitors: but won'tI lose performance if a game - Skyrim for instance - is running simultaneously on two different monitors, displaying the same thing. Won't it double the stress on my GPU?

My original idea was to be able to start a game in my room, and then take the 360controller, go to the living room and play in front of the TV.
I have no idea how to do that properly. And I didn't understand why you say I shouldn't connect my 2 monitors (or more) on the same GPU. I have 2 DVI slots and 1 HDMI...

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
So how can I play games on both my PC monitor and TV big screen without losing any quality, performance = frames per second, or have any lag at all on both systems?!

So I basically want to keep both TV and PC monitor connected, and be able to swap between them for different games and purposes, or duplicate display - without losing framerate or image quality.

btw, the cable you posted above is not an option for me, shipping to Israel costs too high. But I found this cable from an Israeli ebay seller - 30 ft. cable. What do you guys think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111218761522?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=410239440639&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

dashboy1998

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
You can connect both of your monitors to your GPU, I was just saying that using a DVU to HDMI cable loses a very little almond of quality, nothing big still great for gaming. as for your 2 other questions I will have to test it my self and let you what I get.

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

You might be right, but on the other hand, it is a well known fact today that there is no such thing as lower or higher quality when it comes to HDMI transmitting:
either you get a picture, or you don't. There is no in-between. There COULD be bugs: artefacts and pixels, but that's just when the cable is bad/broken.

Therefore I don't see how an HDMI cable with one side that's simply a DVI will have inferior quality/performance than HDMI to HDMI: since there is simply no way for it to be like that.

Also, it is well known that DVI = HDMI in terms of picture/video quality. Therefore HDMI to DVI should not have any bottlenecking.

My other alternative for such a cable is an HDMI to DVI adapter - now THAT's sounds like a bad idea.

I have also checked online, and I couldn't find any evidence that claims that HDMI to DVI has lesser quality or signal issues VS. the standard HDMI.
You can also check those newegg reviews:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270113
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270114
No cons, no quality complaints. Everyone are 5 egg happy.
My HDMI to DVI looks pretty much like this one. I bought it here in Israel, Israeli design as well. I think it is gold plated and 1.4 so I think there is no reason for concern.

Plus... what choice do I have? I have only 2 DVI ports and 1 HDMI, and my LG pc monitor is actually HDMI-only. I won't connect my monitor to the HDMI of the MoBo, since that won't be good for gaming.

------------------------------------------------
About the topic issue: I think I will need to connect both my PC monitor, and Receiver (which is connected to the TV) into the GPU: Pioneer Receiver to the HDMI port, PC Monitor to the DVI.
Then pick Extend or pick Second Screen Only, when I want to play a game on the TV (using Windows 8 or screen resolutions).
Finally, I will have to go to the receiver, and change it for HDMI1 for instance, to HDMI3 that is the PC connected cable. That should display the game. (since I also have 2 consoles connected to the receiver).
I might have to buy a wireless mouse, I am thinking of Logitech G700s.

Duplicating - a game might not work at all. And I think it might cost performance. But if it is on Extend: and it shows a game on the big screen, and the desktop on the PC monitor: I don't think I will lose any performance or quality.

(My friend tells me he has his PC monitor and TV connected to his GPU: and he says that when he run films at fullscreen, it automatically goes full screen on the BIG TV. Now he has no idea how the PC detects that the TV is the best place to display the film at).

But that's just a theory.....tell me what you think.
I think it will be simple in the end, I just never done such a thing...

Btw - waiting for your reply when you are done testing. Thanks a bunch man!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I am also very concerned about the maximum length of HDMI cable that I can buy, before I start losing quality.
Like I said I need 7-8 to be safe, but they come in Feet, so its about 25-30 feet I think....
I don't think I will have lower quality... but I dunno, and I really want to avoid any lag or performance issues as well.

EDIT: Furthermore, since I have a 5.1 Creative speaker setting connected to the on-board Realtek sound card: I don't want it to play, in the room behind the wall, when I sit in the living room, in front of the TV.
So, I want to have my surround sound play through the HDMI cable via the Receiver (amp) 5.1 Dolby-Digital. While disabling the PC speaker-setting.
How do I achieve this?
How do I make sure I hear the sound in my living room 5.1 Home Theater, and not from the bedroom's 5.1 setting?

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
I have succeded to connect My PC monitor to the DVI-D port with (DVI-HDMI cable), and my TV to the GPU (I will connect through the receiver later) HDMI Port.
Now for some reason, my pc thinks that my PC monitor is Monitor #2, and that my TV is "PC monitor" or Monitor #1.
How do I change monitor #2 to Monitor #1 and vice versa? I changed my PC monitor to "this is my main monitor" but it is still marked as monitor #2, and that causes some problems.

Also, I currently connected my HDMI PC monitor to the DVI-D slot in my GPU (the lower one). I also see that my GPU have a port called: VGA DVI-I. It looks almost identical to DVI-D, only that instead of -- etching it got a +.

Which port should I connect my pc monitor to ?

dashboy1998

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

The major lost would be a few dead pixels if you get a cheap cable, the one you have is fine and don't use the onboard HDMI like I said or duplicate the screen.

Your HDMI cable is fine, I used a 75 feet once for gaming and I didn't notice any lag.
What GPU do you have?

It shouldn't causes any problems. What problems are you getting?
GPUoutput_zps24cd1116.png

The DVI with a - is DVI-D duel link and the + is DVI-I duel link, both ports are fine for your cable.
More DVI info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface

Solution