[SOLVED] Connecting router to modem wirelessly?

Apr 12, 2020
Hi,

I have a netgear D7800 modem/router which is placed upstairs and I connect my pc to it via ethernet and we connect our iphones etc as well via wifi.

I also have a netgear R8000 router and wanted to place it downstairs in a room where the ps4 is, since the room only gets ~60% wifi signal and the wifi connection is very poor to the ps4.

Can I connect the D7800 to the R8000 without using an ethernet cable? Then I could run an ethernet from the R8000 to the ps4.

When I look at AP it seems it has to be a wired connection between the modem and router?

Thanks

Solution
In general 2.4g gets better coverage in most houses. 5g tends to be faster but does not penetrate walls and floors as easily. All you can do is try it there is no way to predict.

You will find people that say every single wifi device is crap. This is mostly anecdotal because it is greatly affected by the house much more than the devices especially when it is exactly the same brand and model of wifi. When you look at scientific tests with a very controlled environment most modern wifi device perform almost identical. In the real world they are affected by many things so it is almost pure luck to try to find something that works well in your particular house.

Your best option likely would be to buy powerline network devices...
This may not help you. If you intend to say run a long ethernet cable to another room it might help. If you place it right next to the PS4 the device will get the same crappy wifi signals as the PS4 does and it will send the results over the ethernet cable. It pretty much is just a different wifi nic you put in your PS4. It does not solve the problem that the signal is being absorbed in the path between the router and this room

The wifi nic card in most game console is pretty good. They transmit at the legal maximum power level just like a router. The only difference would be if for example the signal is stronger say near the ceiling it is kinda hard to place the game console there where you could place something like your router.

Be very very careful to read the instructions for dd-wrt. You can easily mess the router up and recovering these can be tedious so you want to do it correctly the first time.

Apr 12, 2020
This may not help you. If you intend to say run a long ethernet cable to another room it might help. If you place it right next to the PS4 the device will get the same crappy wifi signals as the PS4 does and it will send the results over the ethernet cable. It pretty much is just a different wifi nic you put in your PS4. It does not solve the problem that the signal is being absorbed in the path between the router and this room

The wifi nic card in most game console is pretty good. They transmit at the legal maximum power level just like a router. The only difference would be if for example the signal is stronger say near the ceiling it is kinda hard to place the game console there where you could place something like your router.

Be very very careful to read the instructions for dd-wrt. You can easily mess the router up and recovering these can be tedious so you want to do it correctly the first time.

The original ps4's wifi is not good at all. Quite unstable as well. I was thinking it would be good to have a wired connection. I also have a Netgear WN2000 rpt v2 extender, I guess that acts similar to a bridge? But that only supports 2.4ghz not 5g. Also the ps4 wifi only supports 2.4ghz as well..

In general 2.4g gets better coverage in most houses. 5g tends to be faster but does not penetrate walls and floors as easily. All you can do is try it there is no way to predict.

You will find people that say every single wifi device is crap. This is mostly anecdotal because it is greatly affected by the house much more than the devices especially when it is exactly the same brand and model of wifi. When you look at scientific tests with a very controlled environment most modern wifi device perform almost identical. In the real world they are affected by many things so it is almost pure luck to try to find something that works well in your particular house.

Your best option likely would be to buy powerline network devices so you could avoid the wifi completely.

What likely will help is if you can use a long ethernet cable it will give you more options as to where you place the repeater. It is trial and errror. You never really know how the signals get to you. They could go direct through the floor but they also can do stuff like go out windows and bounce back into another window.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Apr 12, 2020

Your best option likely would be to buy powerline network devices so you could avoid the wifi completely.

What likely will help is if you can use a long ethernet cable it will give you more options as to where you place the repeater. It is trial and errror. You never really know how the signals get to you. They could go direct through the floor but they also can do stuff like go out windows and bounce back into another window.

I mean, everywhere you read you will see the ps4's wifi chip is **. My iphone 7 gets 80mbps in the same room downstairs where the ps4 gets like 10-15mbps. I just ran an ethernet cable all the way from upstairs to down in that room and now the ps4 gets 80mbps lol. The powerline things can be good.. In newer houses, this is a slightly older rental and using those the speed isn't good but even worse the stability is horrendous, permanent drop outs (I'd say due to old/bad wiring in the walls.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Powerline or moca can really be great in situations like this. Then you don't even need to use your r8000.

Another option is to swap the r7000 and r8000 if the 7000 was the ability to be a wifi client, but honestly wired is always better than wireless, even if powerline or moca, so that would be my solution.

Apr 12, 2020
Powerline or moca can really be great in situations like this. Then you don't even need to use your r8000.

Another option is to swap the r7000 and r8000 if the 7000 was the ability to be a wifi client, but honestly wired is always better than wireless, even if powerline or moca, so that would be my solution.
Sorry but you have misread my post. I have a D7800 (modem/router) and a R8000 (router.) The D7800 has to be used upstairs as the modem. As I have eluded to, powerlines aren't an option due to old/poor wiring, the connection drops out all the time and is a lot slower.

Sorry but you have misread my post. I have a D7800 (modem/router) and a R8000 (router.) The D7800 has to be used upstairs as the modem. As I have eluded to, powerlines aren't an option due to old/poor wiring, the connection drops out all the time and is a lot slower.
Ah, I missed the combo part. If you've already tried the newest and latest powerline, then that's out. Only thing left is moca or an ethernet wire.