Connecting routers and modems.

ZlordHUN

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016
Okay so what Im trying to do is connect either my router or my other modem to my main modem via LAN cable. My goal is to make the second modem/router basically stream the internet from my main modem. Is this possible?

You can only have one modem, and typically one router, anything else you are trying something non-standard and you will find people here don't want to touch it.

What you posted, well lets say it's not on precise tech language so I really have no idea what you want to do.

Standard Hookup:

Modem ---> Router ----> Switch ----> Multiple Clients.

Why does this won't work for you?

Pooneil

Honorable
Apr 15, 2013
It sounds like what you are wanting to do is set up an extra router (or gateway) as a wireless access point. That can easily be done with most routers.

The pages linked below provide general guidance on how to convert a router to an access point.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/basics/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/36406-43-convert-wireless-router-wireless-access-point

Terms for future use. These are not exhaustive definitions but people here will understand.

Modem. Bridges the incoming wide area network (WAN) line to ethernet.
Router. Connects to a modern and distributes (routes) the WAN to a LAN and usually wifi.
Access Point. Connects to a LAN by ethernet and provides wifi.
Gateway. Usually provided by the ISP and combines modem and router functions in one box and often provides video and phone service too. Often just called a "modem" or a "router" by the ISP because in marketing, the terms are rather loosely used.

ZlordHUN

Commendable
Jul 29, 2016

Sorry if my description is a bit foggy. I'll try again. I have a modem and a router. What Im trying to do is somehow set them up with the same lan and wlan connection. I hope I've made things a bit more clear.