Connecting the GPU

faraway

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013
Quick question. I've got the Sapphire R9 390 Nitro and Seasonic M12 750W for the power supply. I read somewhere that i better use 2 seperate 6+2 PCI-E cables from the PSU for a power hungry card like this, instead of a single one daisy-chain style. Is this gonna create any issue? Should i go back to a single cable?

Solution
Well, to be honest, if they're using a correct gauge wire and if Seasonic made the PSU and they provided two 8 pin connectors on the end of a single PEG wireset, they believe that the wiring can handle the wattage going through it. I would probably say they know what they're doing. You could try it and see if the wires get warm to the touch while the GPU is under load. If it gets warm, it's ok. If they get hot, well that is a certain problem.

Usually I would personally prefer separate PEG wiresets to keep the load low on any single set of wires to prevent things from burning up. But if Seasonic (definitely a reputable manufacturer) made it that way it would probably be ok.

Rookie_MIB

Distinguished
Well, to be honest, if they're using a correct gauge wire and if Seasonic made the PSU and they provided two 8 pin connectors on the end of a single PEG wireset, they believe that the wiring can handle the wattage going through it. I would probably say they know what they're doing. You could try it and see if the wires get warm to the touch while the GPU is under load. If it gets warm, it's ok. If they get hot, well that is a certain problem.

Usually I would personally prefer separate PEG wiresets to keep the load low on any single set of wires to prevent things from burning up. But if Seasonic (definitely a reputable manufacturer) made it that way it would probably be ok.

Solution

faraway

Honorable
Oct 22, 2013

That's what i thought, but i think i'm gonna stay on the safe side and keep the seperate cables connected, it's not like i'm in a shortage of cables:D