Connecting the power supply to video cards question

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
I need a refresher course in connecting power to video cards. I'm working with a Corsair RM750X. There are two 8 pin cables supplied. One of the cables has an 8-pin connector with another piggybacked off the first. I'm going to assume that I can use this to connect two video cards with one cable? I just want to be sure as I seem to recall running separate power cables to each card in the past. Can one cable handle the power for two cards? If it matters, I'm installing one 1080ti and one 1060. Thanks.

johnstac

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
Having heard nothing here, I contacted Corsair. I have mixed thoughts here. I did read in several other forums with some people stating that it's fine to run two cards on one cable and that was why the cable is made this way. Others believe that if you have the additional 8 pin cable available and some place to plug it in on the PSU, it's a much better idea to run them separately. Aesthetically, I think it looks horrible! Realizing now that Corsair supplied both PciE cables with that piggyback connector on it, I hate it. But anyway, Corsair did write back and in my opinion, they are contradicting themselves by stating the following:

"You'll want to use to separate cables, generally it would be much safer your gpu's."

Then why include that ugly second connector on it? Sheesh