[SOLVED] Connecting to a central Cat 6 run

tfulmer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
I have read through the forum and couldn't find what I needed and thought I would ask for advice.
I am in a new house where all Cat 6 runs lead to an attic (just wires hanging there, not labeled, no connectors) that get too hot to place any elect equip in.
Would like to connect to the Cat 6 in the attic and run them to a closet a few feet away where I can place elect equip.
I don't know much about networking and would appreciate advice from the group on how to best accomplish this.
Should I install a patch panel in the attic, pinning out the wires and then crimp and connect Cat 6 to the patch panel and run it to the closet to my switch, modem, etc?
Or, is there another simpler way to connect to the Cat 6 runs and extend them into the closet?
Or, something else?

Sorry for such a basic question, but that is where I am at.

Thanks
Tom

Solution
I suspect you are going to be stuck putting some device in the attic unless you want to extend a lot of cables.

They make switches that will tolerate the heat. I know microtik has a number of them that can go to 70C and they are only slightly more costly than more common name brands. There likely are other brands that also have model but you will have to read the specs.

As long as your internet comes in some place else you should be able to connect the router at that location and then use a cable between a lan port and the wall jack to connect to the switch in the attic. All your other jacks would then use the switch to get to the router via the attic.

kanewolf

Titan
I have read through the forum and couldn't find what I needed and thought I would ask for advice.
I am in a new house where all Cat 6 runs lead to an attic (just wires hanging there, not labeled, no connectors) that get too hot to place any elect equip in.
Would like to connect to the Cat 6 in the attic and run them to a closet a few feet away where I can place elect equip.
I don't know much about networking and would appreciate advice from the group on how to best accomplish this.
Should I install a patch panel in the attic, pinning out the wires and then crimp and connect Cat 6 to the patch panel and run it to the closet to my switch, modem, etc?
Or, is there another simpler way to connect to the Cat 6 runs and extend them into the closet?
Or, something else?

Sorry for such a basic question, but that is where I am at.

Thanks
Tom
You need to get all ethernet cables to a location where you can have electronics. That would mean either pulling you existing cables or by creating a patch panel in the attic and running new cables to the closet. You can't have one cable from the closet to the attic and then split to multiple locations

I suspect you are going to be stuck putting some device in the attic unless you want to extend a lot of cables.

They make switches that will tolerate the heat. I know microtik has a number of them that can go to 70C and they are only slightly more costly than more common name brands. There likely are other brands that also have model but you will have to read the specs.

As long as your internet comes in some place else you should be able to connect the router at that location and then use a cable between a lan port and the wall jack to connect to the switch in the attic. All your other jacks would then use the switch to get to the router via the attic.

Solution

tfulmer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
You need to get all ethernet cables to a location where you can have electronics. That would mean either pulling you existing cables or by creating a patch panel in the attic and running new cables to the closet. You can't have one cable from the closet to the attic and then split to multiple locations
Thanks for the advice.

tfulmer

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I was not aware that high temp tolerant switches were out there...thank you.