[SOLVED] Connecting to free wifi

captainking

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Hi I live just outside our village where we have free wifi (open source) I can sometimes get a really slow connection but very intermittent, I want to if possible pick up the signal and boost it to my location. Is there a way where I can get the signal to a wireless router via an aerial so that we can tether with our mobile smart phones tablet and laptop. if we walk into the village we can pick up wifi with phones.
We have a very bad 3g intermittent signal via our mobile phone broadband providers. I have looked on ebay but so much is available so a bit confused.
Thanks for any help all the best Steve....a little village in SW France.

Solution
Using a pair of devices, one outdoor and one indoor connected by ethernet cable is a better plan than an external antenna on a WIFI router. Get a directonal bridge, like a Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 (2.4Ghz) for outside. Put it as high as possible, pointed at the town. Then inside use either a router with WIFI or a WIFI access point.

kanewolf

Titan
Using a pair of devices, one outdoor and one indoor connected by ethernet cable is a better plan than an external antenna on a WIFI router. Get a directonal bridge, like a Ubiquiti NanoStation M2 (2.4Ghz) for outside. Put it as high as possible, pointed at the town. Then inside use either a router with WIFI or a WIFI access point.

Reactions: captainking
Solution

captainking

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Thanks very much for your quick reply, I will order one. Will post my how it goes

All the best Steve

need4speeds

Distinguished
He made a homemade one, and also a custom Rolls Royce SUV that you will see later in the video, towards the end of the video he mentions testing professional ones like the Ubiquiti NanoStation mentioned above.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-nj_BwoBE

Also he shows a way to make a adapter for a smartphone.

This guy tests and compares it with a different antenna type and comes up with a mod to improve it a bit too.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTMi99HtW_k

It seems like you can use cheaper and easier to find aluminum instead..
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5DskYocQRk

-Really cheap and easy, i seen some people just put the coax on the back of the wifi card and then the card's rubber antenna on the end of the coax cable. Then move it around until they got a good signal.

If there are some HDTV stations you might want to try this.
I made a HDTV antenna by baring the end of a coax wire. It's about the size around as a 1LB 454gram Margarine container lid the flatter styled one. It's 5inches across or about 15.5inches around so strip back about 16 inches of wire. (1inch=2.54cm.) I put a small clip on the end of the wire to adjust the loop size. I then faced the loop up higher on the wall in my Garage. It works well and i can get the local HDTV stations on my Garage 32" 720p Samsung lcdtv\monitor.
Those 2 wire 300 ohm to 75 ohm coax adaptors and the 75 to 300 one works in reverse, then just put a loop of wire that size between the screws or connectors. (if you use the 2nd one backwards the wire leads sticking out count as part of the loop length.) After people seen my garage tv working they wanted one.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Sometimes really simple stuff works too. I moved my wifi router close to my fridge. The metal on the fridge reflects the signal to my Garage. After that it's 4 or 5 bars in my Garage PC (2.4G) and my phone's wifi (5G) in the Garage is 3-4 bars.
The phone's 2.4G is also 4-5 bars.