Connecting to my WPA wireless network without inputting key

n00blet73

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015
As part of setting up my Anova Precision Cooker, I had to make sure that my wireless network was set as WPA. Previously it wasn't.

I have 3 wifi "transmitters", each protected with their own unique password; the main Verizon FiOS router and two other routers with wifi that are downstream from the Verizon FiOS router.

I created the WPA key, "forgot" my wifi connections on my phone, rebooted the phone and reconnected to those wifi points, including the Verizon router, using just the unique password. At not time was I asked to insert the WPA key and yet when I look at these wifi spots on my phone, they all list WPA PSK under security and I have full internet access.

Did I miss something or did I do it right?

Thanks.

Maybe I am confused, but when you connected to each WiFi network with a password, that password is your key. It sounds like you were expecting to have to input something else.

As a side note. If you access points and devices support it, WPA2 is more secure than WPA.

n00blet73

Honorable
Jun 4, 2015

Hi anotherdrew.

I'm confused because during my research I found this article which states:

Once you find the wireless security settings, select WPA2 security and AES encryption. Then enter a Pre-Shared Key or Passphrase of 8 to 63 alphanumeric characters. The longer and more complex the more secure. Try to upper and lower case letters and numbers. Write this down and keep it safe. Don’t forget to save/apply the changes.

Now you must enter the same passphrase on your Wi-Fi equipped computers and devices. In Windows, you should be prompted to enter it when connecting. However, if you were previously using WEP or WPA, Windows may not connect until you edit the saved security settings:
I'm confused by the bold line. It says that I need to enter the same passphrase in my wifi equipped devices but that's not what my experience has been. I've only had to enter the password for each wifi access point that I'm using. If that password isn't as secure as the PSK I created, does this still mean that my network is at risk?

Thanks

PS: I did update it to WPA2.