[SOLVED] Connecting to same server w/ different credentials

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello all,
I wanted to know if you could connect to the same server with two different credentials. Here is my situation. We have a server with folders shared on the network. We have a common log in ("staff") that everyone uses to connect to the folders on the network. We have one folder that is shared, exclusively, with 3 people (it has more sensitive documents) who log in with different credentials ("admins").

Is it possible for me to connect to server with one credentials, then connect to the same server with different credentials to access this folder?

In windows, when mapping to a network drive, you are given the option to connect with different credentials; I cannot find any equivalent in the OSX.

Thanks all in advance!!

Solution
Open Finder and click on the share name under "Server" At the top right of the right-hand window there should be a button "Connect as". This allows you to specify the user that you want to connect as. If you are already connected the button will read "Disconnect" - do so and then you can connect as a different user.

zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for the response!
I do not see an option to log in with different credentials. The first time I connected the "staff" computers to the network drives, a window appeared asking me for credentials. I used the "staff" credentials to connect. Now when I connect to the server that window does not appear and I do see an option on the Connect to Server window to switch log in credentials. As previously mentioned, I suppose I could just delete the stored passwords on key chain and then reenter the users credentials after I am finished, but I do not want to do it that way (just inconvenient).

In terms of logging on normally. All of our macs have generic usernames for the computer itself. The credentials we use to connect them to the network drive is "staff" and not the local account setup on the each computer. Right now we have it set where each computer's username (locally) is their name. We use a common password for everyone's computer under "staff"

On the "admin" computers as well, there is a generic local account and each admin has their own password. The admin computer's connect to the network via the "admin" credentials which gives them full access to all content on the server.

McHenryB

Admirable
Open Finder and click on the share name under "Server" At the top right of the right-hand window there should be a button "Connect as". This allows you to specify the user that you want to connect as. If you are already connected the button will read "Disconnect" - do so and then you can connect as a different user.

Solution

zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hmmm... I do not see server on the left side of Finder. There is shared, but not server. Otherwise there is a list of drives which I mounted from the server. They are the main (first) folders of the server, so technically they are the folders under the server.

zorak16

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for the help! While I still don't know how to do it on the first computer I tried (Tiger OSX), I was able to follow your instructions on Snow Leapord without any issues.

Figuring it out for Tiger would be nice, but I was able to complete my task with the Snow Leopard computer.

McHenryB

Admirable
I see what you mean about it being different on Tiger. Try this (works for me) in Finder:

1. Click the eject arrow to disconnect the share.

2. Select the Menu option "Go/Connect to Server".

3. Select the appropriate server and click "OK".

3. In the "Select the SMB..." window, having chosen the appropriate share, click the "Authenticate" button.

4. In the resulting dialog click "Authenticate again".

5. You should now be back at the authentication screen and can enter different credentials.

(It's easier with the newer versions of OS X, isn't it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.