[SOLVED] Connecting to sound bar (speaker) using hdmi port on motherboard

Aug 18, 2019
Hello,

I have a sound bar (Yamaha YAS-107) which has two hdmi ports, described in the manual as follows.
  • HDMI IN jack
    • For connecting an HDMI-compatible playback device such as a BD/DVD player, a satellite and cable TV tuner, and a game console (p. 22).
  • HDMI OUT (ARC) jack
    • For connecting to an HDMI-compatible TV (p. 22).
I would like to listen to the music on my desktop computer through these speakers. I have tried connecting the hdmi port on my motherboard to the hdmi-in port on the speakers, but it doesn't work. Looking around online, there isn't much information regarding this. Is it possible to drive the speakers over hdmi?

Thanks for your help!

Solution
You get audio through the monitor speakers via hdmi yeah? I would assume by that Ubuntu is compatible. The motherboard wouldn't prevent audio from a graphics card.

Might still be something simple. Volume or a setting in Ubuntu, another device in audio settings overlooked.

Do you have a console to test the soundbar with?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
What's your specs?

Hdmi from the motherboard might work if you have an enabled igpu and this audio source (Intel or Amd) is set in Windows playback devices.

If you have a graphics card and has another free hdmi port try that and enable gpu audio in playback devices.

Aug 18, 2019
Thanks for the suggestion! My gpu had a spare hdmi port and when I switched to that one a fourth output device appeared (HDMI / DisplayPort 4 - HDA NVidia). Unfortunately, it didn't actually output any audio.

MSI B450 Tomahawk
Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660

Use optical audio connection with toslink cable.
BBD5175C343F4029A73A13D3655220A1_12075_735x735_f3560018825171c03817e90ccf05595e.jpg

55-500__32896.1475676478.1200.1200.jpg

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You get audio through the monitor speakers via hdmi yeah? I would assume by that Ubuntu is compatible. The motherboard wouldn't prevent audio from a graphics card.

Might still be something simple. Volume or a setting in Ubuntu, another device in audio settings overlooked.

Do you have a console to test the soundbar with?

Solution

TRENDING THREADS