Connecting to two wireless networks in Windows simultaneously

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
Hey guys, I just bought myself a fancy new laptop, and while it's great for recreation, I would like to be able to use it at work as well.

At my office, there is a wi-fi network that allows me to connect to the work network. This allows me to access all the network drives/etc, but doesn't provide any sort of internet connection. It's totally local.

The second wi-fi network, is my home router which manages to stretch across the road (I live across the street from my office, lucky me!) which provides decent internet speeds, but obviously no network access to the work network.

Currently the fix is to simply swap between the two, but that's very annoying. Is there a way for me to connect to both networks at the same time, and have one designated for the LAN, while I have another designated to my own personal wi-fi for accessing the web?

I'm currently using Windows 10. There's a "Bridge networks" option, which may apply, but I'm not 100%.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. My boss gave me the all clear for this if I can get it working.

Solution
To access both networks you would need basically two wifi cards, if you aren't using a cable. And the setup details for both networks. If one or the other has a proxy setup that may make it difficult as your browser will be re-directed to the wrong place and you will either have to use one browser for internal and another for external sites.

As far as I know it isn't possible to bridge two different wifi networks with different security in place via a computer. (Maybe with some software I am unaware of) Takes an expensive multi-channel router to do it at an IT infrastructure level. Then we usually end up with one or the other as a virtual network.

If you can use a cable it is pretty straightforward. Plug the cable into the work...

g90814

Honorable
Apr 11, 2013
Apparently your boss doesn't recognize the security implications of what you're considering. You may want to talk to your IT support about this.

You'd be opening up a major security hole in the network.

I'd recommend you not do it.

There's a reason why the networks are separate. Opening your system to both systems defeats the purpose of having 2 systems. There's better solution. If you need to use a computer for work, why not have a computer in your office(provided by your company). Use your laptop for your internet stuff, and your desktop for work.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I question why you have a personal machine at work in the first place as well. If your company is relying on your personal laptop's security, that isn't exactly a good policy. So you connect this machine to the internet use if for all your personal activity, then turn around and plug this into the company network?

What happens when you bring a virus into the company?

Mind you this can happen with work systems hooked up to the internet, but general security policies will have Anti-virus, Windows Update standards, and other security settings to prevent or mitigate common threats.

I think the worst one we managed to get (via Brazil) was an adware program that replaces folders with shortcuts to websites. Didn't work too well since their redirectors didn't get through the firewall, but it did hide and replace every folder on several NAS shares.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
It's very difficult to get a straight answer from anyone on this website regarding anything related to my job.

Let me be very clear to avoid misunderstandings - internet and LAN are combined on the same network via ethernet. Security is NOT an issue. Half the computers are running Windows XP SP1 and don't have any anti-virus, and are connected to both the internet, and to the local network. They're also operated by people who don't know the difference between a megabyte and a terabyte.

My home connection is very secure. It's very well encrypted, has a very long and random pass-phrase that would not be brute forced.

The reason the connections are separate wirelessly is because they had to get a new router a couple years back, and they never bothered setting it up again. I have a work computer that is provided by my company. It is very slow, and while it 'works', it wastes a lot of my time.

So, to be as clear as I can, I want an answer on how to connect to two separate wireless connections, one for LAN and one for internet access. I do not want a security lecture. I'm not tech-illiterate, nor am I stupid. It's very frustrating to keep being told these things, and it's a little insulting.

Our IT department is busy, and I have other things that I actually need their help with which are backlogged.

I understand that you all have good intentions, but this is far from the first question that I've received these types of replies on, and I'm not looking for them. Can someone please answer my question? I'll be very grateful.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Your story sounds very iffy. It looks like you want to surf the internet during work hours when you aren't authorized to use the internet at work. We cannot help you bypass your work security.

1) What real company has a local network with no internet access?
2) What real company transfer files over Wi-Fi?

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

As iffy as it may sound to you, it's very true. You also forget that if I wanted to surf the web while at work, I wouldn't be having this problem. I can clearly connect my own laptop to my own wi-fi and surf to my heart's desire. I can also access the local network via my laptop. As I'm doing right now, I can do both with my ancient work PC.

I just want to do both at the same time so I don't have to keep switching back and forth. Can you tell me how to do that? (Note: I'm typing this from my work computer.)

USAFRet

Titan
Iffy or not...whatever.
Windows really, really does not want to use 2 network connections at once, with seamless moving between the two.

Possibly try a VirtualMachine, with its own OS. You could probably tie this VM to the WiFi device that talks to the office network.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
If you can prove increased productivity with improved hardware present such to your boss and see what happens. Don't just bring in personal solutions and expect to keep that up. I don't even want to go into lost/stolen issues...

It isn't really relevant what the security measures in place are or if your co-workers are a greater risk then you. It is about what you are personally liable for if something goes wrong and it is discovered you have been using personal equipment. You lose all corporate liability and it becomes your problem.

Now you have me even more concerned that at some point you had your home internet service hooked up to the company network more directly? And that a router change no longer has this happening?

Doesn't really make sense to me. Plug your laptop into the work ethernet and gain internet access that way? It doesn't have to be over WiFi. If you need that level of productivity that is something to raise with your IT people.

The only conceivable way to do what you are asking would require more access then you likely have (otherwise you would have done it already)

(As to what company uses WiFi for file transfer, most...) Ethernet infrastructure is a heck of a lot more expensive to implement then changing out routers and fibre lines every few years. But I suppose it depends on the age of the company.

Also the whole 'mobile workforce is a productive workforce' philosophy. BYOD is also catching on, but usually with VM level security. Or Mobile Iron and similar products for tablets and smartphones.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

I see. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. Windows has a built in "Bridge Connection" option. Is that just meant to allow two networks to access each other? If so, could I technically bridge the connection from my office and home networks, and then have my primary connection as my home network?

Just trying to brainstorm a bit to cover all options. Thank you for answering. I really appreciate it.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

Sorry, I wasn't clear on that. The company has a wireless network separate from the ethernet. In the past, it had both internet and local connections. Nobody ever used it though, so when they swapped the router, they didn't fully set it up again. My home network has never been connected directly to the work network.

The IT department (consists of two people) told me I can do what I want as long as I don't break anything on the network, since they said I knew enough not to get into trouble with it. My boss also approved me to try this. I appreciate the concern over liability. Believe me, I don't want to deal with anything regarding an issue being "my fault". I have enough confidence in my ability to avoid security issues though.

You said if I had access - what exactly could I do? I'm very experienced with computers in general, but networking isn't my strong point. I'll probably consult my boss on how I'm going to go about this prior to doing it, just to hear his opinion on it.

aylafan

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
If your IT department and boss approved that you can use your personal laptop for work then it would already be done or would be done soon. You wouldn't be trying to bypass work security or combining networks or anything of this sort. It takes less than 10 minutes to register your personal computer on the work network. If they require VPN, VM security, certificates or mobile device management then go through that. I work in IT; I know...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
To access both networks you would need basically two wifi cards, if you aren't using a cable. And the setup details for both networks. If one or the other has a proxy setup that may make it difficult as your browser will be re-directed to the wrong place and you will either have to use one browser for internal and another for external sites.

As far as I know it isn't possible to bridge two different wifi networks with different security in place via a computer. (Maybe with some software I am unaware of) Takes an expensive multi-channel router to do it at an IT infrastructure level. Then we usually end up with one or the other as a virtual network.

If you can use a cable it is pretty straightforward. Plug the cable into the work network and connect the WiFi card to the other network with internet access. If one or the other is using a proxy server, you will still have that problem to deal with.

Solution

shag00

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I would imagine you have a fairly standard laptop with one wireless network adapter which will mean that you cannot connect to both networks at the same time. In the unlikely event you have 2 adapters you need special drivers and software.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013

Thank you. I have a spare wi-fi adapter laying around somewhere, so I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll buy a couple feet of Cat6 and connect to the work network that way.

I appreciate your help. Your answers have been detailed and straightforward.

Jan 14, 2019

Thank you. I have a spare wi-fi adapter laying around somewhere, so I'll give it a shot. If not, I'll buy a couple feet of Cat6 and connect to the work network that way.

I appreciate your help. Your answers have been detailed and straightforward.
I'm sorry for the late response, but for anyone that wish know how to make this work. You only have to set the metric on your pc, In my case I use it to stream so I need two connections simultaneously on my pc, one for gaming and another for stream. You can have 5+ wifi connections and still manage to use every one of them, https://www.raymond.cc/blog/choosing-which-connection-to-use-with-windows-routing-table-editor-gui/.