[SOLVED] Connecting to wifi with an older router?

Jan 18, 2021
Hi. I moved to a place where I'm downstairs and the owner of the house wifi is upstairs. I'm getting constant lag spikes and I'm assuming its because I'm downstairs.

I'm connected to his wifi via a network adapter.

I want to know if I could use my old router, Netgear Nighthawk X4S, and set that router up closer to his wifi upsairs, then connect to that router instead of his router so I get a better signal.

Is this possible?

Having access to the owners router might be an issues as he is rarely home.

Am I better of buying somelike like a wifi extender
Linksys AC750 RE6300
?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
A router and a extender are different function. It all depends if the old netgear has the function or if it only runs as a router.

The word "extender" is so vaugue it causes confusion. Most times people mean wifi repeater.

There are 3 way these devices can run.

You connect via ethernet cable to the main router and run as a AP
You connect via ethernet cable to the remote device and run as a client-bridge
You run wifi both the router and the end client..this is wifi repeater mode.

A wifi repeater should be a last option. It has 2 wifi signals that can be interfered with, one to the main router and a second to the end client. These 2 wifi signals actually to some extent interfere with themselves. With proper placement it...
A router and a extender are different function. It all depends if the old netgear has the function or if it only runs as a router.

The word "extender" is so vaugue it causes confusion. Most times people mean wifi repeater.

There are 3 way these devices can run.

You connect via ethernet cable to the main router and run as a AP
You connect via ethernet cable to the remote device and run as a client-bridge
You run wifi both the router and the end client..this is wifi repeater mode.

A wifi repeater should be a last option. It has 2 wifi signals that can be interfered with, one to the main router and a second to the end client. These 2 wifi signals actually to some extent interfere with themselves. With proper placement it might help.

You might as well try your current router if it has that feature. If you are going to spend money I would first look at MoCA if there is cable tv wire in both locations. Next consider AV2 powerline units. These use the electrical wires as a ethernet cable. Both these option will be far superior to a wifi repeater especially if you are playing online games.

Solution