Connecting to wireless on laptop and sharing with other devices

midgardsormr33

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Ok so here is the deal, My laptop is picking up my internet connection, I have it connected to a wireless router through ethernet, I want my wireless router to broadcast the signal so I can pick it up on ps3 and connect my desktop to it through ethernet. Before someone wants to get sassy and tell me to just use my router as the original point, this is because I am temporarily living in a hotel, and can only pick up the signal on my laptop. I tried searching the internet for how to do this and really just am getting confused. Please help, good people. Thanks.

Solution
If you are using Windows, you can do several things. One would be to bridge the Ethernet and wireless adapters in the network control panel, use change adapter settings, highlight both adapters and then right click and select bridge connection. Do not also select ICS, as it is incompatible with a network bridge and does not work well with routers.

If Windows 7, another option would be to use the Windows 7 virtual wifi miniport like THIS but that would only allow you to create a wireless AP to share the hotel wireless with your other wireless devices, not the Ethernet desktop.

RealBeast

Titan
If you are using Windows, you can do several things. One would be to bridge the Ethernet and wireless adapters in the network control panel, use change adapter settings, highlight both adapters and then right click and select bridge connection. Do not also select ICS, as it is incompatible with a network bridge and does not work well with routers.

If Windows 7, another option would be to use the Windows 7 virtual wifi miniport like THIS but that would only allow you to create a wireless AP to share the hotel wireless with your other wireless devices, not the Ethernet desktop.

Solution

midgardsormr33

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Thank you for the reply, I will try this and post back how it worked. I am using windows 7, a TrendNet wireless router and the other computer is XP, by the way.

RealBeast

Titan
Be sure that ICS is disabled on both computers.

I would restart the computer after disabling ICS in both, insure that both adapters are working correctly in the device manager, and then highlight both in the change adapter settings with a ctrl left click on each, then right click on one and select the option.

midgardsormr33

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
Made sure it is turned off on both and restarted both machines, still no option to bridge. Just read that some versions of win7 don't get the option to, weird. Is there any third party programs that you know of to make it happen? In the mean time I am trying the virtualwifi option.

midgardsormr33

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

I am going to put the desktop connection on the backburner for now, I succesfully setup virtualwifi and can connect to the signal on a phone, and the ps3 recognizes it but wont connect. It gets the ip, then tests the connection and fails so im just trying to figure that out now.