Connecting two hard drives via enclosure to TPLink Router (It can only detect one)

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
I got a Mediasonic ProBox Hard Drive Enclosure that can carry up to 4 hard drives, right now I have 2 3TB hard drives inside the thing. When I plug it directly into any computer, the hard drives are detected quite easily.

I tried plugging this Enclosure into my Archer C9 TPlink Router to work as wirelessly accessible hard drives on the network, and so far, it can only detect the first hard drive and not the second.

//tplinklogin.net/volume1 is just fine, but there is no seeing //tplinklogin.net/volume2. Going into the router login settings, it seems when the router is scanning for a drive, it only lists volume 1 as it exists.

I tried calling up Tech Support, and they confirmed with me that TPLink can detect multiple hard drives via a usb hub through a single port. But the Tech Support was a bit confused on the concept of an Enclosure, and even I am not sure if an enclosure counts as its own "usb hub".

Any way to get this router to recognize the 2nd hard drive?

Solution
Not sure if this helps or not... but I read something about a similar product that said... if the multiple drives inside an enclosure are connected as a SINGLE VOLUME then it should be detected as one big Volume.... however, if the drives are separate then only the first one would be detected.

SBMfromLA

Distinguished
Not sure if this helps or not... but I read something about a similar product that said... if the multiple drives inside an enclosure are connected as a SINGLE VOLUME then it should be detected as one big Volume.... however, if the drives are separate then only the first one would be detected.

Solution

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
That seems like a good idea, I might try to turn these two hard drives into a spanned volume and see if that works. Although, it would mean I'd have to move the data from the first drive somewhere else first.

Is there any other method you would suggest for this?

SBMfromLA

Distinguished

I'm not an expert... All I know is you can convert a drive to become a Dynamic Disk in Windows and the data will move over... however, once you do that you can NOT revert back without a reformat. But that is something you might want to research first... But One Giant drive isn't bad if all you want it for is to backup your media files or data.

patach

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
Is it possible to tie a 2nd drive to the first into one volume without the need for reformatting? If not, that's fine... just means I'll need to find another drive just to transfer data over.