[SOLVED] Connection disappears for short periods without any pattern on 3 routers.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 14, 2020
Routers - Zyxel Keenetic Lite 2, Tenda AC8
Modem - BDCOM P1501DT

PC specs:
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite
PCU: Seasonic Prime GX-750
Windows 10 Pro
if something else is required - I can send it too.

ISP may not prove anything useful since I'm not in the US, I'm from Ukraine. Connection type - Optical, up to 100 Mbps. Only 3 devices connected to the router, and only 1 (PC) is using the connection non-stop. Absolutely no error messages from the ISP or Windows.

Now let's get to the problem. Was using my main router - Zyxel Keenetic Lite 2 for about 4 years now, and for the last couple of weeks, the connection was disappearing for short 30 second periods, without any logic. It could be once in two hours, and it could be every 5-10 minutes. Intervals were always different, and this is why it was quite hard to get all of the information about the problem. I've downloaded the StarTrinity CST software to track the exact connection times, but it didn't give me hardly any other information. Also, it is a must to mention that the connection disappears on the other devices like the TV, so the problem is most likely not in the PC but on the way from the ISP to the router.

After contacting my ISP, the technician came and changed my modem to the one mentioned above, but it didn't solve the problem. He suggested changing the router itself. After some time I've tried connecting my PC directly from the modem, without the router, and there were no problems with the internet connection for about 5 hours, so I've figured that the problem is in the router itself. After buying Tenda AC8 that my friend suggested, I've noticed that a similar issue appeared - the internet disappears without any reason, and now not for 30 seconds, but for an unlimited period unless I restart the router manually or Windows Diagnostics restarts it from the PC's end (I'm not sure how this works, but it seems like it).

I'm having really mixed feelings about this problem since it is really hard to trace the problem. I think that it may be the faulty router, and I wanted to try to return it and buy another one, but what if the problem is not with the router, but with the actual connection, and those routers simply react to connection drop differently (the first one resets itself after 30 seconds, the second one doesn't)?

Hope to get some useful info on how to trace the issue properly and what steps to take to fix everything. If you need any other bit of information - please, ask, I will be glad to send it.

Thank you, happy new year, and stay safe!

Last edited:
Solution
Just an update, on the 12th of January an official Realtek LAN Driver [1‎0.046.1231.2020] was released (can be downloaded on your MB official website) that supposedly fixed the problem, and for a week I haven't encountered it.

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who tried to help, even when the issue was this much not obvious lol.
Nov 14, 2020
Not something I would have expected but I have seen other threads talking about different issues with that nic/chip. I guess I never even looked at 2.5g would go to 10g if I really needed more than 1gbit. I guess I have to add this to my never by a mother board list, no killer and now no realtek 2.5g
Yes, it was kind of a hassle, to be honest, and such a rabbit hole of a problem. However, I don't think that those manufacturers should go to a never buy list, the problem is acknowledged by both of them and they are working on it.

As for me, the aforementioned fixes didn't help. However, 3 hours ago a beta driver was released that suppose to fix the issue. Will try it and close the thread if the problem is fixed.

Nov 14, 2020
Just an update, on the 12th of January an official Realtek LAN Driver [1‎0.046.1231.2020] was released (can be downloaded on your MB official website) that supposedly fixed the problem, and for a week I haven't encountered it.

Wanted to say thank you to everyone who tried to help, even when the issue was this much not obvious lol.

Solution