[SOLVED] Connection Drops While Gaming

Oct 24, 2019
I keep running into an issue where streaming, social media, Google docs, whatever all works flawlessly. But as soon as I open a game, every 3 minutes my connection completely drops. (I'm assuming the drops continue when doing other online tasks, but those tasks don't rely on a rock-solid connection.)

My setup consists of an Arris ISP Router/Modem as the main wireless router in the house, along with a wireless bridge (Asus AC68U) to my desktop in the basement. I had powerline (AV2 1000) but we recently upgraded to 600mbps D/20mbps U internet and the powerline wouldnt exceed 90mbps. I've isolated the problem to the bridge as my parents haven't had problems connected to the Arris box in their office.

Any suggestions/solutions for either the bridge or increasing the speed of the powerline are much appreciated. Of course, I'm open to other ideas as well.

Solution
Maybe switch back and forth between the powerline and the wifi. Games do not need high bandwidth. All you would have to do is plug and unplug the ethernet cable going to the powerline. The default in most win10 machines is to use the ethernet over wifi.

Game traffic is a bit different than other applications which is why it has issues with wifi. It needs stable latency which does not happen but it also need a very steady upload rate also. Unlike most other applications games send a fairly constant stream of data. It is not much bandwidth well under 1mbps but it is constant. The router may not be able to hear you pc well enough and is dropping the session when you get lots of errors.
Maybe switch back and forth between the powerline and the wifi. Games do not need high bandwidth. All you would have to do is plug and unplug the ethernet cable going to the powerline. The default in most win10 machines is to use the ethernet over wifi.

Game traffic is a bit different than other applications which is why it has issues with wifi. It needs stable latency which does not happen but it also need a very steady upload rate also. Unlike most other applications games send a fairly constant stream of data. It is not much bandwidth well under 1mbps but it is constant. The router may not be able to hear you pc well enough and is dropping the session when you get lots of errors.

Solution