Connection instability problem

Eluron10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
So I'm not a different laptop that's my ftienda that he's letting me borrow, on my own laptop if I look at my router status it's usually 117-144ms and my laptop is bad! This gaming laptop I'm borrow looks amazing and runs great but the wifi is from 5-50mbps and it's very unstable! The graph on windows 8 it's a rollercoasters it hits 50 Mbps for exactly 4 seconds then goes to 5, this is AWFUL for games. In league my ping is normally 70ms, ok this gaming laptop it's 90ms then it goes to 180-300 ms. I wanted to try Ethernet but the killer E2200 just says the Ethernet is unplugged even though it isn't, and I have tried 2 different wires that work, I use them for my Xbox.... The sad part is I just bought $200 worth of games expecting to play, mostly online so I'm really sad at this point... I'm not at the laptop right now since I'm at school but I can answer any questions and I can team view later If anyone wants to see...

Solution
The driver issue is the more likely scenario if no other devices have the problem.

If all devices have the problem it is the centralized device, in this case the router. If just one device out of many has a problem, it is that device.

Updated drivers for your wifi card may help. You will have to go to the laptop oem's website (so dell.com or asus.com, etc, etc) and find the support page for your laptop and it will have the newest drivers. You may have to figure out which wifi card you have if there is multiple drivers listed for wifi.

Many OEMs put subpar wifi cards in their laptop, either out of just being cheap or just because that particular card sounded great but turned out to be a dud. Sometimes the only fix to the problem...

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
Is it your router or a shared one? If it's yours, then try cycling it to another channel in case you are getting interference on the current one. Also, check for any firmware update for the router and driver updates for the computer.

Eluron10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Not sure what you mean by a shared one...? I mean it's oke router for my whole house we have phones and iPads connected but we normally have 2 computers at all times, one of my computers is getting fixed so the laptop should be fine, I also don't know what you mean by channels I don't really know much about connection... I'll try the driver update thing but how what driver am I looking for? Or do I overall look for any updates at all?

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
You mentioned school, wasn't sure if it was a dorm situation, since it's yours, no worries. Wireless routers have several broadcast channels with slightly difference frequency ranges so you can use several without them interfering with one another, or other devices in the area. Here's an article explaining it-

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/21132/change-your-wi-fi-router-channel-to-optimize-your-wireless-signal/

Eluron10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015
Okay I'll try that when I get home, but why would that be the case when usually I jave 2 computers connected to my router at high speeds and all of a sudden I'm trying this laptop and it's so slow in comparison... Is it because they are both laptops this time opposed to one wireless and one wired? However even so we have 4 phones that use wifi and 3 iPads and a printer also with no issues

The driver issue is the more likely scenario if no other devices have the problem.

If all devices have the problem it is the centralized device, in this case the router. If just one device out of many has a problem, it is that device.

Updated drivers for your wifi card may help. You will have to go to the laptop oem's website (so dell.com or asus.com, etc, etc) and find the support page for your laptop and it will have the newest drivers. You may have to figure out which wifi card you have if there is multiple drivers listed for wifi.

Many OEMs put subpar wifi cards in their laptop, either out of just being cheap or just because that particular card sounded great but turned out to be a dud. Sometimes the only fix to the problem is to replace the wifi card.

Solution

Eluron10

Reputable
Feb 4, 2015

How do I update my wifi drivers?

Grimwinder

Reputable
Jul 2, 2014
3 ways.

One, go into Device Manager under Windows Control Panel and click on the Network Adapters entry and select the network adapter listed there, double click or right click to bring up Properties, there will be a Driver tab and an Update Driver button under that, click it and select to search for driver automatically then install whatever it may find. If it doesn't find a new driver then go to option 2 or 3.

Two, go to the product/support page for your laptop on the manufacturer's website and search for updates there, if there are none see if you can find out which adapter your laptop has installed and go to option 3.

Three, go to the website for the manufacturer of the adapter itself and search for newer drivers there.