[SOLVED] Connection issues only with Windows

Mar 25, 2021
For a while now I've had problems related to my internet connection speed and stability, I tried checking up with the provider and modem but already had a red flag since for my housemate it was working just fine. I then tried port forwarding and ethernet but the problem persisted so i went and checked if it was a hardware or software problem on my end.

Got ubuntu on my usb and started the pc through it and lo and behold I was suddenly getting the exact same test results as my housemate, so I'd say it's definitely a software problem related to windows.

Now I know it could be a miriad of things and formatting is probably the fastest way to solve but I'm currently an architecture student and have multiple single download licenses programs (plus some projects that have lots of temporary files related to them) so i would really prefer trying everything I can before getting to that.

My test results were as follows (did them through testmy.net with multithread off and throughout the day):

- On Windows 10: download speed around 17 mbps, latency around 60ms with frequent spikes to 110 and sometimes even more

- On Ubuntu: download speed around 200 mbps, latency around 30ms at most going to 50 (which are the same my housemates got)

I spend most of my time playing on online multiplayer and since this problem the spikes have made them close to unplayable since it's most fighting games and fps.

Thanks in advance anyone willing to help

Solution
It' a known problem about the software for Killer NIC's.

I've seen in other forum threads, the solution have being either of:
  • Uninstalling Killer software <forum>
  • Reinstall windows <forum>
  • Also reported (back in 2014) that "AMD Quick Stream" have being the culprit <forum>
So - try those and see what works.
Mar 25, 2021
First of all i should specify that I mostly use Wi-Fi since my room is very far from the modem, doe as I said in the main post I did check with ethernet and nothing changed

@Grobe :
The motherboard is Micro Star International MS-16J4
The ethernet adapter Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
The wifi adapter Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3165

By disabling the wifi adapter you mean trying to use the ethernet with it disabled or something else?

@SamirD I tried searching around for this ethernet optimizer setting but I can't find anything or any article asking about it, do you have any source that could help? I did generally think it could be some hidden weird setting messing up stuff

@eXPedient Demise I have AVG and Windows Defender but I've tried a few times including yesterday to run tests turning everything off (both the AV and their firewall) but the results are the same

Some other general information I'm on a laptop GE62 6QF Apache Pro from MSI, also regarding the singlethread download speed it almost feels as if it's capped cause it never surpasses the 18mbps during tests

It' a known problem about the software for Killer NIC's.

I've seen in other forum threads, the solution have being either of:
  • Uninstalling Killer software <forum>
  • Reinstall windows <forum>
  • Also reported (back in 2014) that "AMD Quick Stream" have being the culprit <forum>
So - try those and see what works.

Solution