Question Connection Issues with Dual Asus Router (1 Router Mode 1 AP Mode) Setup

Apr 24, 2023
Hi all,

I am running two AX11000s, with one set to router mode and one in AP mode. The AP router is connected to the main router's LAN port via ethernet cable. I have tried connecting the LAN cable to other LAN ports on the AP router to no avail. There is no internet when connected either via LAN cable or wifi to the AP router. There is internet when connected to the main router. The AP router has the IP address 192.168.50.1 and the computer connected to the AP router has IP address 192.168.50.178. The main router has IP address 192.168.2.1 and clients connected to the main computer have their IP addresses following 192.168.2.X. When logged into the main router's configuration page, I see that the AP router is some how assigned a static address 192.168.2.188 which is in conflict with the IP address used to connect to the AP router configuration (192.168.50.1). DHCP should be disabled in AP mode for ASUS routers, but somehow it seems that the 192.168.1.50 IP is assigned by default to the AP router for configuration purposes and some how a static IP is assigned to the AP router by the main router. Would anyone be able to help me with this problem please?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Shaun

If your AP has an IP address on the main routers subnet of 192.168.2.x, and your computers connected to the AP are using a different subnet, and you have disabled DHCP, then you need to manually assign IP addresses to the devices connected to the AP so that they are on the same subnet as your AP and main router.

Apr 24, 2023
Ok thanks for the tip, I should do this on the main router's configuration page? Or can it be done for the AP's configuration page? I understand this can be done in windows directly too? Isnt the fact that the AP configuration page is accessed via a diff subnet i.e. 192.168.50.1 an issue? It seems like somehow the DHCP server while disabled is still giving the AP a diff IP address and that affects the clients connected to the AP.

You can manually set those IP addresses in your Windows (or other) devices. However, if you don't want to do that, then simply enable DHCP. Where did you hear that you shouldn't enable DHCP when using AP mode? I believe they may have been referring to the AP router and not the main router.

Apr 24, 2023
DHCP is enabled on the main router, it is just disabled by default on the AP router when in AP mode. It just isn't really working because it seems like there is a conflict between the IP of the AP router (diff subnet than that of the main router, despite it being assigned a static IP on the main router).

I've been using an Asus Router in AP mode connected to a main router with DHCP on the main router only, and it works just fine and devices connected via the AP obtain the correct IP addresses automatically. I do configure my IP settings of the AP manually, although I wouldn't think it necessary if DHCP on the main router is enabled.