Connection Keeps Dropping Off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kick43vt

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I have the same issue. Comcast with a DLink wireless router, 2 PC's and a new iMac. I Pc is wired to the router, the other PC laptop is wireless and the iMac is wireless. The internet drops regularly on the iMac but not the PC's. The iMac is always searching and finding other networks to join. Is that contributing to the problem?

I also wonder if perhaps the comcast modem and the Apple don't like each other? We upgraded our cable modem a couple months ago and there was no problem until we hooked up our iMac last week.

I'll try to change the broadcast channel.

Any help is appreciated.

amdchuck

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I use to have similar issues to the majority described here and for the life of me I could not track it down...the modem, the NIC, the cable line itself, all passed diagnostics and no problem could be found. The internet would work great for a while then just drop. Usually I could get right back on-line by rebooting the modem or perhaps unplugging then replugging my network cable. Very frustrating especially if you were trying to download torrents overnight or something like that.

On a hunch, I decided to try using the USB connection, bypassing my NIC. The connection, while slower and not as system efficient as when using a NIC, was stable as a rock. Since the only difference was the absence of the NIC, I was pretty confident the NIC was the problem.

I have since replaced my NIC and the issues have not reoccured.

qqhuang99

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I have comcast cable services and using a Linksys router. One desktop is connect to router directly. and the other two labtops are connected wirelessly. It has been working with no problem for a long time until recently my labtops keep dropping off the internet. It can connect to neighber's wifi which is of weaker signal strenth. If I power off the router and modem, it usually let me get connected again. Can anyone help me what was the problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.