[SOLVED] Connection limited on Windows 10 / Dell

Apr 4, 2021
Hello all - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to solve this issue.

I'm running an older Windows 10 laptop (Dell Inspiron 5559, purchased in 2015). The on-board ethernet is 10/100, but I have it connected to a TrendNet TU3-DS2 docking station via USB3.

I just upgraded to gigabit ethernet, yet the Dell will only show a maximum of 120 mbps. The same speed results if I plug the network cable directly into the laptop's ethernet port, or the docking station into any of the laptop's three USB ports (1 USB3, 2 USB2), or the WiFi connection. Always 120 mbps or less (but the connection is generally good - not hitting 120 is a surprise). I plugged the docking station into another Windows 10 laptop, and it showed gigabit speeds (960 mbps), so the actual internet connection is working fine (also confirmed with a Macbook Pro - purchased in 2014. Yup - it's time for some gear updates).

I booted the laptop into Safe Mode - 120 mbps.

I download LAN Speed Test, and connected to a LinuxMint box I run as a local file share, mapped as drive "X" in Windows 10. It shows a copy transfer speed of 335 mbps.

So....now what? Is there a master setting limiting the internet speed on this machine? The network properties indicate the USB connection is running at gigabit speeds: Link speed (Receive/Transmit 1000/1000). The modem (Hitron from Cogeco) is also showing the connection to the laptop as 1000M. I've switched cables (both ethernet and USB) - no difference.

Suggestions would be appreciated!

Solution
Sorry - I don't understand this. The dock shows gigabit speeds (~980mbps on fast.com) when plugged into another Windows 10 laptop via USB3, but only 120 on the one in question.
That means it is a USB or software limitation. The dock is working as intended. It has a gigabit ethernet link.
I would boot a portable linux and test. See if it is a software problem.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all - hopefully someone can point me in the right direction to solve this issue.

I'm running an older Windows 10 laptop (Dell Inspiron 5559, purchased in 2015). The on-board ethernet is 10/100, but I have it connected to a TrendNet TU3-DS2 docking station via USB3.

I just upgraded to gigabit ethernet, yet the Dell will only show a maximum of 120 mbps. The same speed results if I plug the network cable directly into the laptop's ethernet port, or the docking station into any of the laptop's three USB ports (1 USB3, 2 USB2), or the WiFi connection. Always 120 mbps or less (but the connection is generally good - not hitting 120 is a surprise). I plugged the docking station into another Windows 10 laptop, and it showed gigabit speeds (960 mbps), so the actual internet connection is working fine (also confirmed with a Macbook Pro - purchased in 2014. Yup - it's time for some gear updates).

I booted the laptop into Safe Mode - 120 mbps.

I download LAN Speed Test, and connected to a LinuxMint box I run as a local file share, mapped as drive "X" in Windows 10. It shows a copy transfer speed of 335 mbps.

So....now what? Is there a master setting limiting the internet speed on this machine? The network properties indicate the USB connection is running at gigabit speeds: Link speed (Receive/Transmit 1000/1000). The modem (Hitron from Cogeco) is also showing the connection to the laptop as 1000M. I've switched cables (both ethernet and USB) - no difference.

Suggestions would be appreciated!
You won't get "120Mbps" with a 10/100 adapter. So either your statistics are wrong or the built-in adapter is NOT 10/100. Max performance on a 100Mbit adapter is 90-95Mbit.

Apr 4, 2021
You won't get "120Mbps" with a 10/100 adapter. So either your statistics are wrong or the built-in adapter is NOT 10/100. Max performance on a 100Mbit adapter is 90-95Mbit.
You're absolutely right - my mistake! I just rechecked it, and it's 93 mbps for the straight ethernet connection, and 120 mbps through the USB connection, tested using fast.com.

kanewolf

Titan
Sorry - I don't understand this. The dock shows gigabit speeds (~980mbps on fast.com) when plugged into another Windows 10 laptop via USB3, but only 120 on the one in question.
That means it is a USB or software limitation. The dock is working as intended. It has a gigabit ethernet link.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution
Apr 4, 2021
I used a Ubuntu stick, and the port is still only working at USB2 speeds. The port on the laptop is being identified as a USB3 port, but is only communicating at USB2 speeds. I'll stop messing with it now until replacement time!