[SOLVED] Connection problem between Windows-Computers in LAN

kaipirinha

Commendable
Dec 27, 2018
I have two Windows Computers and a smartphone. The windows computers have connection problems in the local network, only between each other.

Example 1: Ping
-my Notebook can NOT Ping my PC, even if I disable the firewall on both devices.
-but my smatphone can ping my PC, if I create or enable an appropriate firewall rule.

Example 2: A Service on my PC is providing a map to an internet browser via port 9000.
-It does NOT work if I type 192.168.xxx.xx:9000 on my Notebook in the same Network
-It works if I type localhost:9000 on the local PC
-It works if I type 192.168.xxx.xx:9000 on the local PC
-It works if I type 192.168.xxx.xx:9000 on my smartphone in the same network.

Example 3: I can NOT get any Windows folder sharing to work between my Windows PC and Notebook. But they can bot access the internet and the routers SMB share.

BUT SOMETIMES ping gets ONE reply (and 3 losses) or even works (4 replys). But in the next minute it is back to not working, without me doing anything. The router is a fritzbox 7390.
Additional information: Windows 10 Home Edition Notebook via Wifi and Windows 10 Professional PC via Ethernet-Cable, both fully updated. Android smartphone via Wifi. All devices can access the internet, ping the router and use services like steam and whatever. There are no known Network problems except Windows seems to be a bitxx! I have tried for hours using google and forums but can’t find the cause. On the PC I even reinstalled Windows but nothing changed.
Please help!

Solution
What network addresses are you actually using: i.e., 192.168.xxx.xxx?

Those are IP addresses provided for private networking inside a a router and are used by literally thousands of networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

Ironically it is your public IP address that you should not give out.

You can discover your public IP address by opening a browser and typing "What is my IP".

The results may be IPv4 and/or IPv6. Either way, that is the IP address that you should not give out or include in a post.

Fritz box router:

https://modemly.com/login-to-FRITZ--BOX

Did you change the default IP settings...

RealBeast

Titan
Since they are both W10, try sharing a folder or drive and set both the sharing and security tabs (I just added a group called Everyone in and gave it all access since I run all my machines).

You can right click on the folder or drive, sharing tab, advanced sharing click share this folder, then click permissions and add Everyone (or individuals as needed) and check the appropriate permissions.

Then in the security tab also add Everyone by clicking the edit button, then Add button, select object types as Groups and then type the object name in the white box (Everyone) click OK and apply their allowed privileges.

Of course, if you want reciprocal sharing you need to make the changes on both machines.

Everyone is a defined group that is all users on your LAN, and if that is too broad for your use then you need to add individuals with passwords.

THIS tutorial that I've come across.

Edit: just realized that you said one had Home, so you will need to enable SMB1 and insure that the automatic removal is unchecked.

Last edited:

kaipirinha

Commendable
Dec 27, 2018
Thank you for your reply.
I have set up two Windows Server VMs on the PC for a lab. Both can ping the Windows 10 Pro PC just fine (over the same external network, not an internal VM network), and vice versa. But they all cant Ping the Windows 10 Home PC (but strangely sometimes it works for one package or a short time).
The smartphone can also ping the PC and both VMs and vice versa. It can not ping the Windows 10 Home Laptop.
I have created a folder share on one Windows Server VM: The other Server VM and Windows 10 Pro PC can Access it, only Windows 10 home PC can not.
I have created a folder share on my main PC ("share with specific people") the Windows Server VMs: can Access it, only Windows 10 home PC can not.
I have created a shared folder on the Windows 10 Home Laptop. neither the servers or the Windows 10 Pro PC can access it.
SMB1.0 Server and Client ist activated on all machines.

I am getting the feeling Windows 10 Home is the Ploblem here and I am getting really angry at microsoft. shares and SMB Versions are one thing, but what exactly is preventing Ping and my web application on port 9000 from working correctly on windows 10 home?
It can access websites on the internet, so why not the one on my local network? And why Ping??? Of on the most basic functions in Networking! I am getting the feeling nobody should ever have to touch Windows 10 home at all!

kaipirinha

Commendable
Dec 27, 2018
I Updated the Laptop to windows 10 pro and completely reinstalled windows clean. I Also deleted it from my routers memory at the same time so it was seen as a new device and got a new IP Address, when it came back to the network. It didn't help.
Later I come home and ping just works in both directions, between the two Windows devices. Two minutes later it doesnt work any more (both directions)! I (almost) literaly didnt even touch anything. I read a wikipedia entry between the two trys. Now I can try again and again and ping will again consistantly not work between the two devices. Again both devices still have internet and can ping the router on the same network.

Can someone at least say if this looks more like a problem with Windows or the network?

Ralston18

Titan
What network addresses are you actually using: i.e., 192.168.xxx.xxx?

Those are IP addresses provided for private networking inside a a router and are used by literally thousands of networks.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-...vate IP address is,a home or business network.

Ironically it is your public IP address that you should not give out.

You can discover your public IP address by opening a browser and typing "What is my IP".

The results may be IPv4 and/or IPv6. Either way, that is the IP address that you should not give out or include in a post.

Fritz box router:

https://modemly.com/login-to-FRITZ--BOX

Did you change the default IP settings?

If so, you may have created a duplicate IP address within your network or perhaps there is a typo somewhere in the IP addresses and/or subnet masking being used.

Sketch out a simple diagram of your network to include all devices and make note of the IP addresses be they static or DHCP.

On each computer you can run "ipconfig /all" to learn more about each computer's network configuration settings.

See what you can discover and post accordingly.

Solution