Question Consensus on upgrading my GPU

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
With this next generation of games coming up such as Modern Warfare, Dying Light 2, and CyberPunk 2077, I've been speculating on simply upgrading my GPU although, in all honesty, I've been meaning to create an all-new build directed towards streaming and video editing. The GPU upgrade is simply to help my current PC run these newer games coming up with are appearing to be fairly heavy. The only issue however, is that I believe my current 4790K (which I can't overclock btw because of my motherboard) will cause terrible performance in and of itself, these fears stemming from my experience with my CPU when dealing with game such as GTA 5 where map textures won't load simply because my CPU is being overloaded from not just the game but the system itself with programs such as "Diagnostic Policy" which uses 30% of the CPU alone. The GPU I plan on getting is the RTX 2080 which I'll move into the new build once I procure the money for it considering I don't even have the funds for the GPU itself, and before you state I should just wait until I have the money for the system altogether, keep in mind that would quite possibly take 1-2 years in order to get that money and I want to play these games once they release. I would also like to mention I can't just upgrade the CPU because of the motherboard being LGA1150, as well as the fact it would be an unnecessary amount of money being spent towards this build which I plan on rarely using once I acquire the new build.

Current Build:
CPU: I7-4790K
GPU: GTX 1060
RAM: 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz
Motherboard: ASRock h97m pro4
PSU: 550 Watt (EVGA I believe)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Storage: 3TB WD Black HD 7200 RPM
Samsung 860 EVO 500gb
Monitor: Asus mg28uq (4K Monitor 60 Hz)

Although my monitor is 4K I play my games downscaled to 1080-1440p unless we're talking about Counter-Strike btw, and I do plan on acquiring a 144hz 1440p monitor with my new build for gaming while dedicating my 4K IPS for photo editing and video work considering how crisp the images are.

The streaming build blueprints have changed hundreds of times by now thanks to the release of the new 3000 series Ryzen chips. What I do know however is that I plan on using at least a 2080 and if I go Intel I'm debating between the 9900K and the 9700K because of they're minimal drops in performance when simultaneously streaming while gaming. Also, before mentioning something like a 1660TI, 2060, or 2070, the reason why I want to purchase the 2080 so badly is because I KNOW this will be the GPU I'm going for the stream build, buying a lower end card will have me losing more money and spending unnecessary money for 2 GPUs.

A 4790k should play modern games fine at 60fps. A 2080 would cause your cpu to be the limit at 1080p, but at 1440p or 4k the 2080 should not cause a cpu limit.

An rtx 2080 requires a quality 650 watt power supply at minimum, so you are going to need a new psu aswell.

For streaming and playing the latest games, the 4790k isnt going to cut it. A switch to a whole new platform is required.

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
A 4790k should play modern games fine at 60fps. A 2080 would cause your cpu to be the limit at 1080p, but at 1440p or 4k the 2080 should not cause a cpu limit.

An rtx 2080 requires a quality 650 watt power supply at minimum, so you are going to need a new psu aswell.

For streaming and playing the latest games, the 4790k isnt going to cut it. A switch to a whole new platform is required.

Just another question, if I were to scale the game to say 1440p, would I be getting a reasonable gaming experience at a consistent 60fps with not many buffers or issues with things such as textures or structures not loading, or would my CPU be the culprit for that?

Sulerium

Honorable
Jan 1, 2017
If you arent streaming, 60 fps isnt an issue in most if not all titles.
Streaming performance depends on settings.

I wouldn't be streaming with this build EVER, this GPU is just to help render the new titles coming up for right now. The streaming build I'm gonna be doing will most likely use of the new Ryzen 3000 processors because of their price and high core count which should be sufficient.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX