[SOLVED] Consistent Game Freezing

May 2, 2020
So not sure if this is the best subforum but thought I would put it here..
I feel my son's box should be able to run the games he is playing fairly easily, but daily he is having games freeze (both video and audio) and the only way to reset is to do a hard power off. I'm no computer expert (obviously) so thought I would post something here to see if I could troubleshoot.

Processor - AMD FX-8150 Eight Core / 8gigs RAM / Radeon RX580 / 700W power supply

It was happening consistently when we had a Nvidia 950 graphics card, and like throwing darts at a wall I thought to upgrade the card to a Radeon 580... but issue is still happening.. I've tried pretty much everything and the games are generally run on the lowest settings. Pretty much all the games seem to freeze at some point or another.. TF2, Overwatch, Rainbow 6, heck even Minecraft..

Any help on things to troubleshoot would be appreciated! I have run malware scans, cleaned up the computer, tested the disk etc multiple times.. I'm not sure what my next troubleshooting step should be?

Many thanks in advance

Solution
Yes, this indeed sounds like a MOBO issue then, since you have already upgraded the PSU. Check for any loose connections as well on your system.
Well.. a bit of a hopeful update for those that are curious. As a last step before taking it into the shop i clean installed windows... probably should have done that first! It seems (fingers crossed) to be operating reliably now and no issues after a couple of hours of gaming. Hopefully that resolves it for good! Thanks for your time and help on this.
Power supply is
Rocketfish - RF700W pS

This is not a very high quality brand power supply unit. I would "avoid" using any Rocketfish PSU on my PC.

Rocketfish and Dynex power supplies are actually manufactured by Huntkey, which is not a very reputed PSU brand, and all these power supplies fall under the lowest tier list in the PSU hierarchy.

A lot of Rocketfish / Huntkey devices have also burned or exploded when load-tested in the past, if I'm not mistaken. Correct me If I'm wrong. Some 80+ models, however, have actually passed testing over at Hardware Secrets though.

Honestly speaking, I'm skeptical to trust this PSU brand and particular Model, regardless of what it says under the +12V rails. Can't you afford to buy and upgrade to some other high-quality power supply unit ?

s-l640.jpg

May 2, 2020
This is not a very high quality brand power supply unit. I would "avoid" using any Rocketfish PSU on my PC.

Rocketfish and Dynex power supplies are actually manufactured by Huntkey, which is not a very reputed PSU brand, and all these power supplies fall under the lowest tier list in the PSU hierarchy.

A lot of Rocketfish / Huntkey devices have also burned or exploded when load-tested in the past, if I'm not mistaken. Correct me If I'm wrong. Some 80+ models, however, have actually passed testing over at Hardware Secrets though.

Honestly speaking, I'm skeptical to trust this PSU brand and particular Model, regardless of what it says under the +12V rails. Can't you afford to buy and upgrade to some other high-quality power supply unit ?

s-l640.jpg
Yes I certainly can but like I say (and it is probably obvious.. ) I am not the swiftest when it comes to components.. is there a few you could recommend and should I be able to install one myself? Also is there a decent diagnostic tool to test the PSU?

thanks very much for the feedback to date..

Yeah, that CX Model from corsair is okay-ish. It's Not the very best from Corsair, though I would easily trust this CX model over any "RocketFish" PSU brand/model any time, any day.

What's your BUDGET for the power supply ? These are some high quality units. Look for similar SKUs if you can get these near your location. There are few more options as well though.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum series.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi series..

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W series.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W series.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold series.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.

May 2, 2020
Yeah, that CX Model from corsair is okay-ish. It's Not the very best from Corsair, though I would easily trust this CX model over any "RocketFish" PSU brand/model any time, any day.

What's your BUDGET for the power supply ? These are some high quality units. Look for similar SKUs if you can get these near your location. There are few more options as well though.

SEASONIC PRIME, and Prime Ultra, or FOCUS Plus GOLD, Focus Plus Platinum series.

CORSAIR AXi, RMi, RMx 550/650W, SF, HX 2017, HXi series..

FSP - Hydro PTM 550/650W series.

Cooler Master - MasterWatt Maker MiJ, V series 550/650W series.

Antec - High Current Pro, High Current Platinum, Earthwatts Pro Gold, HCG Gold series.

Super Flower - Leadex Gold II.

be Quiet! - Dark Power Pro 11, Straight Power 11, Dark Power Pro P10.

EVGA -Supernova G1+, GQ, P2, T2, G2, B2, BQ =>750.
Well.. seeing as I just dropped 280 bucks on the Radeon rx580 that it appears I didn’t really need i don’t want to spend too much.. I’d say 150-200 if I could get away with something that would rectify the problem?
Thanks again..

May 2, 2020
How much is the CX 550M in your place though ?
it is 109..

the RM650x is 159 and the RM750x is 179...

I am unsure of the improvements one over the other and am basically just looking to get something that works, and wont be obsolete in a year,... ha...

I suppose i could always see if i can return the RX580 and exchange for a decent power supply and reinstall the nvidia 950..

Okay.. Just get the RM650x PSU if you can afford this model. You won't be needing a very high wattage PSU, so 650 Watts should be plenty for most of the Gaming rigs, if not all.

The RMx is a good PSU. The AMD FX-8150 might sip a little bit of more power than current gen CPUs, but 650 watts should suffice imo.

AMD recommends a 500 Watts PSU for the RX 580.

May 2, 2020
Okay.. Just get the RM650x PSU if you can afford this model. You won't be needing a very high wattage PSU, so 650 Watts should be plenty for most of the Gaming rigs, if not all.

The RMx is a good PSU. The AMD FX-8150 might sip a little bit of more power than current gen CPUs, but 650 watts should suffice imo.

OK cheers. I will grab it tomorrow and fingers crossed! I did just do a CPU burner test using furmark while having HWMonitor up and after 2 minutes the computer just shut down.. I'm hoping that is an indicator that it is indeed a compromised PSU and again, thanks for your time and feedback.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
May 2, 2020
OK cheers. I will grab it tomorrow and fingers crossed! I did just do a CPU burner test using furmark while having HWMonitor up and after 2 minutes the computer just shut down.. I'm hoping that is an indicator that it is indeed a compromised PSU and again, thanks for your time and feedback.

So... I picked up that power supply and installed and ensured all cables were seated securely.. box turned on.. a small victory for me.. now after about the same amount of game time (10-12 minutes) the computer just shuts down. With the old PSU it would freeze and the only way to unfreeze was a hard reboot. Like I say now it just powers off.

is the next possibility that it is something wrong with the motherboard? Like a short or something? I am really at wits end here..

May 2, 2020
Yes, this indeed sounds like a MOBO issue then, since you have already upgraded the PSU. Check for any loose connections as well on your system.
Well.. a bit of a hopeful update for those that are curious. As a last step before taking it into the shop i clean installed windows... probably should have done that first! It seems (fingers crossed) to be operating reliably now and no issues after a couple of hours of gaming. Hopefully that resolves it for good! Thanks for your time and help on this.

Solution