[SOLVED] Consistent micro stutter every second in most games

Jun 6, 2019
Hi,

I have recently started getting this micro stutter in a lot of games bar 2 so far, Minecraft and Heroes of the storm. I have tried a multitude of things:

Move game from HDD to SSD
-Enable vsync.
-Disable vsync.
-Change monitor refresh from 144 to 60 in windows.
-Select different refresh rates in game.
-Disable freesync.
-Monitor temps:
-CPU max - 60
-GPU max - 71
-Stress tested CPU with no problems.
-Reset bios to defaults to remove CPU and ram overclock.
-Reinstalled windowed.
-I have disabled game bar and most other apps in win10.
-Set game settings to lowest micro stutter in still present but less noticeable.
-Ran driver booster to make sure all drivers are up to date.
-Checked RAM with Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.
-Antyvirus check with malware bytes.
-Display Driver Uninstaller- to make sure it was not a driver problem, also stooped window's from installing drivers.
-Different power cables.

I have recorded an example most easily seen in the first link:
SpellForce 3
View: https://youtu.be/u_ISfa3DGn4

Rage 2
View: https://youtu.be/jfh-hHKl2mo

let me know if you want any other info, also happy to try any of the above again. Not sure what else to try other than new parts

CPU - Intel i5 3570k @4.3
GPU- AMD RX480 8GB
Ram - 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 G.SKILL RipjawsX 1866MHz
Soundcard - ASUS Xonar DG 5.1 PCI
SSD - Kingston 120GB HyperX 3K
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Socket 1155
Power Supply - Corsair Builder Series 600CX 80PLUS Bronze Power Supply

Have checked to see if CPU is throttling, and would appear it is not. used Intel® Extreme Tuning Utility
W3KNA10.png

GPU on the other hand seems to be throttling despite temperatures are fine. as the usage is at 100% but the clock is all over the place -checked using Heaven Benchmark 4.0 with MSI Afterburner to see GPU temp and clock.

----------------------------------------
!!!!!Solution..... sort of!!!!!
----------------------------------------
So tested another card in the system, nvidia gtx 1060 and it works fine. so time to RMA.

Underclocking to 1250 and undervolting has managed to get me ruining at a stable clock.

Last edited:
Solution
Card not in warranty anymore :( so i plan on re-doing the thermal paste and pads in hope that magically fixes it but was playing around in watman and managed to get a stable clock by undervolting and under clocking to 1250, not stres tested this for long 5min and ok so far.
Jun 6, 2019
The CPU is hitting max about 80%
VRAM usage is probably low as its on medium settings... might need to look in to this a bit more.
Ram usage is at about 5GB
SSD - have tried the game on 2 different drives with no difference.
111GB - Capacity
39GB - used
71GB - free

Beginning it think its my GPU or something related, like the PSU or motherboard as the GPU clock is all over the place at 100% like its throttling.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019
Tested another card in the system nvidia gtx 1060 and it works fine. no all i need to do is try and RMA my card.... wish me luck, i have also updated the fist post with other things i have tried, and things to check for.

Jun 6, 2019
Card not in warranty anymore :( so i plan on re-doing the thermal paste and pads in hope that magically fixes it but was playing around in watman and managed to get a stable clock by undervolting and under clocking to 1250, not stres tested this for long 5min and ok so far.

Solution