Question Consistently getting BSODs

Oct 21, 2022
Hi all,

I am lately relatively consistently getting the followng stop codes:

KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION (most common)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE

...and am seriously looking for advice.

My machine is Lenovo IdeaPad S410p 4th Gen Core i5-4200U, NVIDIA GT720M (full specs at https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/...w-ideapad-s410p-s410p-touch-s510p-s510p-touch)
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19044 Build 19044
16GB RAM
(more info can be given upon request)

My machine used to be very stable. I could go without shutting down and simply hibernating and waking up for extended period of time. But then all of a sudden, without any obvious reason it started to give BSODs. There doesn't seem to be any specific pattern as to what triggers the crash apart from the fact that the BSODs usually occur after a number of hibernate-wakeup cycles.

Recently, I decided to do a clean fresh re-install of Windows 10 on my machine hoping that it might resolve the issue. However, as soon as I installed a few apps and started to make a moderately heavy use of the laptop, the problem reappears.

I use my machine mainly for development and apps installed so far:

MS Office 2019
MS Visual Studio 2019
MS SQL Server 2019
Android Studio
Eclipse

• No 3rd party Antivirus software installed (I'm just using MS default antivirus).
  • I have not added any new hardware recently prior to the BSODs occurring.
  • I have checked and all my devices under Device Manager seem to be properly installed.
  • I have run 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth' followed by 'DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth' successfully.
  • I have run 'SFC /SCANNOW' successfully, fixed found errors and re-run until it showed no more error.
  • I have run several rounds of memory test using MemTest86 but all turned out ok.
  • Harddisk scan was conducted using CrystalDiskInfo but no errors were detected.
  • My machine is having two RAM modules, I have tested with each module and each RAM slots separately but it made no difference, the crash still occurred.

I have also tried to disable the following installed devices in order to isolate them in the hope to rule them out from being possible culprits.

Bluetooth
Camera
2nd SATA HDD
Display adapter - rolled back to Ms Basic Display Adapter
external USB devices

Here is the link to the folder with the BSOD debugging log file as well as my most recent minidumps. Note that apart from the first three minidumps, the rest were obtained while having the Windows driver verifier running.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1sIDxtBaIFVcBxXoE0xx7-NX1fjRkJoJg?usp=sharing

I really want to get to the bottom of this so thank you for any assistance!

Ralston18

Titan
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

Reliability History is very user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to work with and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Reactions: rarahim
Oct 21, 2022
Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer for error codes, warnings, and even informational events that occur just before or at the time of the crashes.

Reliability History is very user friendly and the time line format can be very revealing.

Event Viewer requires more time and effort to work with and understand.

FYI:

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3128616/windows-event-viewer.html

Thanks for your reply.

I had gone through the Event Viewer a couple of times but I could not see anything obvious that could be the reason for the BSODs but maybe I will give another more thorough go at it.

I've never used Reliability History though and will give it a try.

Ralston18

Titan
I like Reliability History because the timeline format can be quite revealing.

For example, a problem that appears after some update, some problem update (check Update History), a new install, or configuration change certainly makes the "predecessor" suspect.

Unfortunately, related error codes, warnings, etc. may or may not be completely revealing and that forces the use of other tools and tests such as Event Viewer.

And what Event Viewer provides may not be obvious. Sometimes not more informational than the infamous "Check Engine" light. :)

Overall, your troubleshooting appears to be methodical and thorough.

All I can suggest is to determine or otherwise find some stable configuration. "Stable" meaning no BSODs.

Then add back apps, change configurations, etc. (one at a time allowing time between additions) to ensure that the laptop remains stable.

Objective being to discover what app, when installed, starts causing BSODs or other problems.

No need to rush. Continue to be methodical and observant. Keep notes.

Post as you feel applicable, express concerns, ask questions.

DavidM012

Distinguished
The KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION is an error that results in a BSOD due to its critical nature. There are multiple reasons behind the error, such as outdated or malfunctioning drivers, memory leaks, and hardware faults.

IRQL_not_less_or_equal

This error means that something may be wrong with a device driver, your device's memory, or antivirus software on your device. Here are some things to try:

The “Kernel Security Check failure” in Windows 10 can appear for different kinds of reasons like memory issues, virus infections of the Windows 10 but the most common is that...

If you highlight each error msg you can right click and search it. The problem is almost certainly a hardware fault. Your laptop could be nearly 14 years old.

The IdeaPad S Series is a series of notebook computers launched by Lenovo in October 2008.

Working one day not the next: Could be mobo, gpu, memory or hard drive. Possibly: Dried out thermal paste. Flat cmos battery.

Not simple to troubleshoot. You can find one or two disassembly vids on youtube (not in english though!) seems to teardown easily enough.

You'd need to tear it down simply to access the cr2032 cmos coin battery to install a new one. Could re-paste while you're at it. Time and effort involved but thermal paste and cr2032's are thankfully cheap.

If that doesn't solve it:

You could try running memtest86 to test for errors - you can make a bootable usb with Rufus. Run the ram benchmark. Not a nice test since it stresses the cpu as well so the cooling system needs to be in order.

If Memtest crashes the CPU is suspect: It's a program designed to detect and therefore withstand memory errors.

No point in running a stress test using prime 95 or other benching software (see overclocking section of forum for info of stress test - (not overclocking but the stress test is the same for default speeds) since it's fairly predictable that it will fail: You've already reported bsods and hardware faults are suspected. Time and effort involved in that.

however while cheap (ish) the dimms for it could still be $30 apiece to simply test if that's the problem. You could try to buy one new (second hand) memory module to test-both memory modules could have a problem.

Can also try GPU-z- download, install. Click on the ? next to the Bus Interface box and run the render test. If it crashes immediately it could be the gpu, which is soldered on to the mobo. Can't be unplugged and switched for a new one. New (secondhand poss. unreliable) mobo.

Course you'll need to be able to install gpu-z without it crashing.

What can you do? Not much - if you fritter $ to buy some different Ram to try it with, the problem could still be the mobo.

Same is true of the Drives: A different disk drive is cheap but costs enough to be 'frittering'. How could it be suspect? Windows virtual memory resides on the disk - could cause 'memory' type bsods maybe - though I think windows page file errors have distinct bsods of their own. It might tell you if it was the page file.

Also have you opened a microsoft account with this laptop and install of windows and have your license key written down? It appears that you have upgraded from windows 8.1. You already ran a fresh intall of windows - activated or not? Usually one should use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve the activation key before reformatting- if you don't have it written down, or a microsoft account, idk maybe it's gone.

So basically the device could be EOL (end of life) from several causes. Were it simple as new (secondhand) mem.. were it simple as new drive... were it simple as new mobo... all that is frittering $ whilst being unsure of the exact cause of the problem.

To have it fixed in a shop: frittering $ more than it's worth, parts and labor. Might be 'possible' but probably more than it's worth.

Thus the conclusion - it makes more sense to buy a new modern laptop, unless you can trace the fault exactly to one component & are willing and able to tear it down, & renew thermal paste and cmos battery.

It could be only that - but it could be more than that. It's time and effort to simply find out.

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
You appear to have Driver Verifier enabled? Is there a particular reason for having that enabled? Have you been advise to enable it by someone? Driver Verifier is a troubleshooting tool designed to highlight flaky drivers by causing BSODs. It would be useful to know why it's enabled?

The dumps all seems to indicate a problem with hibernation. Some are likely USB 3.0 device and ACPI related (there are UsbHub3 and ACPI [Advanced Configuration and Power Interface] function calls on the stack), which might suggest a USB attached device driver misbehaving at hibernate or resume time.

Other dumps reference Run-Time Library function calls (nt!RtlpLogHeapFailure for example). Heaps are memory allocation pools, this might be a device driver misbehaving in its memory allocations at hibernate/resume time. It's probably the USB device above.

I would first suggest that you disable hibernation (powercfg -h off command), delete the hibernate file (a hidden file called C:\hiberfil.sys) and then enable hibernation (powercfg -h on command). Next time you hibernate the hiberfil.sys file will be recreated.

If that doesn't help, then try unplugging your USB 3.0 device(s) and then try hibernating and resuming a few times. I know you've disabled them, but physically unplugging them is a better test.

Let me know whether either of those stops the BSODs.

Once we have stopped the BSODs I'll tell you how to turn Driver Verifier off, you don't want that running except in a troubleshooting environment.

Oct 21, 2022
First of all, thanks for your inputs..

You'd need to tear it down simply to access the cr2032 cmos coin battery to install a new one. Could re-paste while you're at it. Time and effort involved but thermal paste and cr2032's are thankfully cheap.

I agree that in the absence of any obvious reasons, anything could be suspect. However from my observation, the clock on the machine is still showing accurate timing and the machine does not experience overheating problem.. but yes it's still well possible that either of these could be causing the BSODs. Having said that, since taking apart the machine can be quite tedious, i think i will keep it as a last resort..

You could try running memtest86 to test for errors - you can make a bootable usb with Rufus. Run the ram benchmark. Not a nice test since it stresses the cpu as well so the cooling system needs to be in order.

As mentioned in my post, i did run memtest but the results were showing no error with the RAM.

however while cheap (ish) the dimms for it could still be $30 apiece to simply test if that's the problem. You could try to buy one new (second hand) memory module to test-both memory modules could have a problem.

And i have also tested each of my memory modules separately with different memory slots in an attempt to rule out memory module issue.. and i think i'm quite satisfied to say that they are not likely to be blamed for the BSODs.

Can also try GPU-z- download, install. Click on the ? next to the Bus Interface box and run the render test. If it crashes immediately it could be the gpu, which is soldered on to the mobo. Can't be unplugged and switched for a new one. New (secondhand poss. unreliable) mobo.

I haven't tested using GPU-z so i will do it and report back..

Same is true of the Drives: A different disk drive is cheap but costs enough to be 'frittering'. How could it be suspect? Windows virtual memory resides on the disk - could cause 'memory' type bsods maybe - though I think windows page file errors have distinct bsods of their own. It might tell you if it was the page file.

Well, i'm using two drives, one SSD for my system partition and another regular SATA for my apps and files. I did try to disable the second drive and the BSOD still occurred. I haven't tried to test whether the SSD was the problem though because it's running the OS but again, just my hunches, i doubt my SSD could be the cause because it is rather new.. but no, the BSODs didn't start occurring right after i installed that disk, the machine used to work fine with the SSD in for a long period before the BSOD started.

Also have you opened a microsoft account with this laptop and install of windows and have your license key written down? It appears that you have upgraded from windows 8.1. You already ran a fresh intall of windows - activated or not? Usually one should use Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve the activation key before reformatting- if you don't have it written down, or a microsoft account, idk maybe it's gone.

The laptop came with Windows 7 Pro. Then i upgraded to Windows 10 Pro via Windows Update.. for the fresh re-install what i did was i created the Windows image using the media creation tool and used it to re-install Windows on which the machine is currently running.

So basically the device could be EOL (end of life) from several causes. Were it simple as new (secondhand) mem.. were it simple as new drive... were it simple as new mobo... all that is frittering $ whilst being unsure of the exact cause of the problem.

I have to agree with you on this..

To have it fixed in a shop: frittering $ more than it's worth, parts and labor. Might be 'possible' but probably more than it's worth.

Thus the conclusion - it makes more sense to buy a new modern laptop, unless you can trace the fault exactly to one component & are willing and able to tear it down, & renew thermal paste and cmos battery.

I think i might have to agree with you on this as well, however i just want to be sure that i have tried with all possible ways to save the machine if i can before deciding to fork out cash to buy a new one..

Oct 21, 2022
Thanks for your inputs..

You appear to have Driver Verifier enabled? Is there a particular reason for having that enabled? Have you been advise to enable it by someone? Driver Verifier is a troubleshooting tool designed to highlight flaky drivers by causing BSODs. It would be useful to know why it's enabled?

Yes, you are right.. i turned it on as a way to diagnose the BSOD issues as suggested in another forum.

The dumps all seems to indicate a problem with hibernation. Some are likely USB 3.0 device and ACPI related (there are UsbHub3 and ACPI [Advanced Configuration and Power Interface] function calls on the stack), which might suggest a USB attached device driver misbehaving at hibernate or resume time.

I am aware that USB error was suggested to be the cause of the crash in one of the earlier dumps but since then i had always made sure no external USB devices were connected to the machine when i was using it.. but the BSOD still occurred.. btw, USB devices are always connected on the external right? is there such thing as internal USB device??

I would first suggest that you disable hibernation (powercfg -h off command), delete the hibernate file (a hidden file called C:\hiberfil.sys) and then enable hibernation (powercfg -h on command). Next time you hibernate the hiberfil.sys file will be recreated.

Ok i will try this..

Let me know whether either of those stops the BSODs.

Will do.. Thanks.

DavidM012

Distinguished
Upgrading from windows 7 shouldn't be the source of a problem. I did that too and registered it with a MS account. Anyway a new laptop will ship with an OS - I thought they are very reasonably priced nowadays.

If you read the key you can make the install process a bit easier anyway just by using a windows 10 setup stub. So you don't have to keep reinstalling windows 7 and upgrading it.

Only other thing I could think of is the battery.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Conversion of dumps

report - Click run as fiddle to see report

File: 101022-8250-01.dmp (Oct 10 2022 - 21:57:07)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION (13A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: SynTPEnh.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 23 Hour(s), 43 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File: 100922-8625-01.dmp (Oct 9 2022 - 21:46:23)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File: 100722-8656-01.dmp (Oct 7 2022 - 15:43:34)
Uptime: 2 Day(s), 17 Hour(s), 24 Min(s), and 37 Sec(s)

File: 100422-14406-01.dmp (Oct 4 2022 - 22:18:44)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Uptime: 5 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 56 Min(s), and 23 Sec(s)

File: 101322-9859-01-after_waking_up.dmp (Oct 14 2022 - 01:26:17)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 17 Min(s), and 06 Sec(s)

File: 101522-9828-01-after_waking_up.dmp (Oct 15 2022 - 11:46:12)
BugCheck: [KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)]
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 10 Hour(s), 19 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)

File: 101722-9546-01-idling.dmp (Oct 17 2022 - 10:33:55)
Uptime: 1 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 47 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

Verifier is on by default isn't it?

could be lan drivers since there isn't much else running

I just thought I convert dumps but they don't really show a lot.

DavidM012

Distinguished
It may be possible to disable the network adaptor in the bios - you'd be a bit stuck without the network though. You can get usb network adaptors, wifi or ethernet - so unless you've got an alternative one to try, since it's soldered on to the mobo not a lot you can do there either.

They're only about $10 ... but $10 for a network card $30 for memory (or x2), $4-50 for a battery, only to test things - is frittering.

Oct 21, 2022
I have run the render test with GPU-z. I'm sot sure how the program works.. is the test supposed to complete? because i waited for over 10 mins but it did not complete, so i terminated it.. anyways my machine survived the test.

Only other thing I could think of is the battery.

You mean the laptop battery, and not CMOS ?

Oct 21, 2022

Yes, the driver verified has been enabled for diagnostic purposes..

could be lan drivers since there isn't much else running

Could be.. i'm doing some testing now.. if another BSOD occurs, for the next round i will test with wireless LAN driver disabled. The wired LAN driver is currently already disabled.

It may be possible to disable the network adaptor in the bios - you'd be a bit stuck without the network though. You can get usb network adaptors, wifi or ethernet - so unless you've got an alternative one to try, since it's soldered on to the mobo not a lot you can do there either.

I will try to disable it from the BIOS if the option is there..

Thanks..

DavidM012

Distinguished
Yes the laptop battery. Old & plausible - but so is p'raps a mobo problem. You run memtest & gpu-z render test - loaded it a bit and it held up so probably not that.

Could also try cleaning the Dimms (memory module) contacts (and the sockets) with acetone or 90% isopropyl alcohol - power off and take out the battery - because oxidation on the contacts can cause a bug. It's old. Another 'plausible'.

Using a cotton pad rather than a fluffy cotton wool ball that can shed fragments. And make sure it's dry and all solvent has evaporated.

Also can try running it off the mains without a battery installed.

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
Is there such thing as internal USB device??
Some WiFi/Bluetooth cards have an internal USB connection (for the Bluetooth I think). What WiFi card do you have? Have a look and see whether it has a cable coming off the WiFi card and going to a USB port (my AX200 does - though it's on a USB 2.0 header). You might even try removing the WiFi card completely, that would definitively show whether it's the problem.

No, it's not. It has to be enabled manually.

Oct 21, 2022
Here are the latest updates..

I took out the battery and let the machine run off the mains... BSOD still occurred.

I disabled WLAN from the BIOS... BSOD still occurred.

I have tested my RAM numerous times (using MemTest, Windows Memory Diagnostic and Lenovo Diagnostic Tool) and the results always come out fine without any error.

I have also updated my device drivers to the latest from Windows Update, BSOD still occurred. Only very recently I downloaded and re-installed all available latest official drivers from Lenovo website, and currently still monitoring my machine for any crash.

Additionally, Lenovo has an official diagnostic tool which does thorough tests on all hardware components. I did run the test which took 4 hours and the result showed that no error occurred. There was only one warning having to do with the Bluetooth adapter with the message saying "Warning No device was found". I doubt this was the cause of the BSODs though because I did test the machine while disabling the Bluetooth adapter before and it still crashed.

Here are the three latest dump files...

Dump File 1
Dump File 2
Dump File 3

DavidM012

Distinguished
If it isn't hardware then all you should need to do is a clean install of Windows?

It was working one day and not the next - this suggests to me an electronic fault like maybe a mobo component doesn't work any more, a resistor or capacitor or something. It runs on Volts.

So clean install of windows - update to 22h2 using windows update - then download the 22h2 iso with the media creation tool and do another clean install with that. Should work? Unless it's a windows update causing the problem.

Well if it simply does not work any more with windows updates? I'm not entirely sure how you can trace which update might be causing the problem - or what to do without windows updates. It looks broken to me.

Could be anything, could be the screen, could be the mobo, Memtest86+ is back - a newly refurbed version of memtest before it turned into passmark memtest86. Article. Try that, try anything, tried everything, don't know.

Checking that you are 'disabling' stuff in the bios rather than device manager? This will turn off the power to any faulty devices on the mobo rather than disable the driver.

The mostly optional devices you can install on it are the drives or the memory - there isn't anything else modular on it? So.. different drive / different memory / different battery are pretty much all you can do anyway.

If it's the mobo then theoretically nothing you do will change the situation.

Oct 21, 2022
Just a quick update...

Only very recently I downloaded and re-installed all available latest official drivers from Lenovo website, and currently still monitoring my machine for any crash.

It crashed again.

It looks like it's definitely not software/OS issue because I did do a clean install of Windows 10 hoping that it would resolve the issue but that didn't work.

The BSODs occur quite randomly.. something like once every other day during heavy use.. or could be everyday although there is no pattern that triggers them.

I did run memory test using MemTest 86+ (more than once) but not errors were detected.

The only device I could disable from BIOS is the WLAN adapter.. there is no option to disable other devices.

Different memory... checked!

Different battery... (I did test the machine off mains with battery removed)... checked!

Different drive.. I did disable the second drive but it didn't help. I haven't tried to swap the main system drive though because running various tests on the drive returned no errors and also because the drive is considerably new.. but I think I might do that after all since I'm running out of options now...