CONSOLE BENCHMARKS?????

AlexFF

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
My Opinion is that, with the new G80 chips, a high-end system can get scores from 10~15k in 3DMark2006.

But the question is: What scores would the newer consoles achieve?

I have a guess at this, (without the figures):

XBOX360 > PS3 > Wii

Please note that my opinion is not backed by any sort of tecnical article, it´s just based on pure "I thinkness"..... :lol: ....

Feel 100% free to agree, disagree, comment, and post your own conclusions :D .

G

WHY ALL THE CAPPS???????????

I think the PS3 has the more power in the hardware but it's irrelevant. The 3 console are incredibly different and cannot be benchmarked against each other. Plus they would need specially tweaked 3Dmark for their arch which would make it irrelevant!

With next gen console, the only thing you should look at is:
The games you wanna play, the experience of playing(thinking of the Wii) and the controller. Obviously the price is a big factor.

Other then that, we don't particularly care for console.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Side by side real world performance of the PS3 and 360 would be very very similar in performance. Like it was said earlier just look at what games and aspects u want and then go with that one. The Xbox 360 is my choice, but I have enjoyed my friends PS3 as well. Im not so much a Wii fan (just dont enjoy all of the motion sensorness, though older games on it are cool with the downloading and readiness of them.) Just remember that they dont make the games and then just send them out without testing frame rates with consoles. They have specific hardware and they test the graphical quality and frame rates before sending them out, so you can almost think of them as having fix framerates, but as we can see they do drop in frames ever so often. That is a vague way to look at it, but it should give u an idea it to why they cant benchmark them.

Though if I had to comment from a technical aspect, I like the Xbox 360 the most as far as GPU, Mem, and "CPU"! I like the architecture of the ati card in the xbox more than that of the nvidia one in the ps3, especially with 10mb of onboard cache...dont know why i just love it. lol, well the CPU's, offset each other alot from what i have heard from developers, and basically they are both ****, but thats alright...they will find a good way to use both of them. The memory usage is a bit better in the 360, but once again so very similar that even from PC standards it would make little difference. The only difference between the 2, is blueray and about 100 - 200 bucks! lol...just my 2 cents!

The actual reason for me getting the 360 is more because I like Forza, Halo Series, Sports games are the same, will play halo wars, and a few others. But i may get a Ps3 soon because i have enjoyed it at my friends and i want to play killzone 2. Still PC all the way though...lol

P.S. Ignore the people who will flame you for a console thread...the question was alittle repetitive, but still you did have a question you wanted answered and overall that is what forums are for, is it not?

Best,

3Ball

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
My post was in response to AlexFF and was not intended to offend anyone if it did, I was merely putting my insight into the original post that i felt necessary.

Best,

3Ball

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I just quoted what you said (automatically sets it as a reply) and I was just agreeing with you.....but I was talking to the op because I'm getting tired of all these worthless threads about console systems, shoez, cocaine addicts (someone got that topic deleted this mornin) etc etc etc.

AlexFF

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
I mean.... what do you think the score would be like.... I think that the 360 would score a 9k or so...

All I wanted to start here was the healthy discussion wheter the gaming industry will convert all their resources to producing console games instead of comp games.

Im doing a personal boycott over "Gear of War" since I remember that back in 2004 i saw a 600MB video showing the UNREAL 3 new graphic engine and I was so excited because I´ve been playing it since the 1st one came out in 1998 (i think...) and I have been thinking about building a high-end system for about 3 yrs so far. AND NOW UNREAL 3 HAS BECOME 'GEARS OF WAR' AND IT´S A XBOX EXCLUSIVE!!!! :cry:

aaaaaaaaaaaarggghhh i hate myself......

(i´m gonna throw my 7950 gx2 outta window) .... 8O

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Calm down man, first off...Unreal ENGINE 3 is what they used for Gears of War. lol it isnt Unreal 3, 2nd UT 2K7 is there next installment an it will be on PC so dont through it away. Also Gears of War is rumor'd that it will be ported to PC. Also, I bet that Unreal 3 will eventually come out, though it doesnt affect me that much, im much more of a UT guy. Im still sure it will...have faith. and as far as 3dmark score goes in 3Dmark05 if would probably score 9 k'ish and 3dmark06 it would score 6k'ish, and as far as a pc hardware spec goes i am pretty positive to that sense it is very very comparable to my current system when translated.

Best,

3Ball

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
That's what I thought, and I'm in agreement with you on these over done flame war topics. To 3ball: That wasn't in response to you.

To the OP: Let's not get started on a "future/death of PC gaming" discussion. The whole idea is absolute rubbish.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Chaos, i dont want to start a huge thing over this, but the Cell proc is an IBM power pc proc as well. It is one core with 7 PPE threads in it, not 8 cores. The IBM Power pc proc in the 360 is 3 cores with 2 threads each (6 total), and most dev's prefer that style of proc (both procs are deeply stages and have a very very narrow bus, similar to that of a pentium 4, but even a bit worse in the single thread area). The single thread performance is similar to that of a 2ghz'ish A64. so dont get taken in by all the hype that is the ps3 and xbox 360.

P.S. All is well Kaotao! :D

Best,

3Ball

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Geez. Please leave console posts in the console section. I wouldn't even respond, but there has been some stupid posts.

BTW, 3lfk1ng you don't have to click quote to quote someone. Check this out:

AND NOW UNREAL 3 HAS BECOME 'GEARS OF WAR' AND IT´S A XBOX EXCLUSIVE!!!!

Unreal 3 is not Gears of War. It's an Unreal Engine 3 game, and it's coming to the PC anyway.

since when did 3>8 cores?

PS3 does not have 8 cores! Do some research.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Wow, kinda deflated me there, 3Ball. Guess I should've clicked submit sooner. At least it's good to see I'm not the only one who knows. :wink:

AlexFF

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
MUST.........WAIT...........TO.........UT2K7 LAUNCH......... :eek: ......

I just hope they make a kik-as single player for Unreal 3

that way they´ll won me back...... a hard earned customer...... :D

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
ok i did do some research and yeah they arnt cores i thought the S meant secondary. but meh i find it useless to buy an xbox the first one sucked only 1 game halo..... and while the ps2 had at least 100 games. most games for xbox are for computer except halo (the good xbox games).

AlexFF

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Geez. Please leave console posts in the console section. I wouldn't even respond, but there has been some stupid posts.

BTW, 3lfk1ng you don't have to click quote to quote someone. Check this out:

AND NOW UNREAL 3 HAS BECOME 'GEARS OF WAR' AND IT´S A XBOX EXCLUSIVE!!!!

Unreal 3 is not Gears of War. It's an Unreal Engine 3 game, and it's coming to the PC anyway.

since when did 3>8 cores?

PS3 does not have 8 cores! Do some research.

i know man.... it´s just a small revolt cuz GoW as launched fisrt... that´s all. I know it´s a U3 engine.

TheViper

Distinguished
It's been proven time and again the PS3 does have more powerful processing than the X360.

In terms of benchmarking...you can't. The architectures are so radically different that you cannot compare them with similar tests and without similar tests, you cannot compare results.

Guessing potential benchmark results based on just the CPU and GPU alone is a fools game.

Beyond the incomparable benchmarking though lies something else that negates any guess work....the differences in the way the systems play (motion sensing vs Live) and the games programmed for them (exclusive titles).

As for Wii, what it lacks in brute force, it makes up for in gameplay and I don't know about you guys but if i wanted to stare at nothing but pretty pictures, I go to a museum. Play what gives you the most fun, not just what racks up the highest 3DMark score.

Blacken

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2004
Nothing to worry about. They compared each of the 7 PS3 cores to Pentium 1's (And 1 stays dedicated to the O/S). The equivalent 7800GTX the PS3 packs is now doubled by the 8800GTX. And you can't upgrade a console, flat out can't. Who has an advantage? Look at side by side pic's and compare quality. No contest. That's why consoles only run 250 to 500 bucks when they come out. The PS2 lasted what? 6-7 years before the next gens arrived? By the end of last year, comparing a PS2 to a new PC was like comparing a Pent. 1 to a Core 2 Q. I'll be buying a PS3 in 2 years... when they fall below 250. Otherwise, upgrade da' videocard for 250 and play games at twice the resolution and IQ. :p

Oh yeah, it was said that the combinations of 7 cores doesn't come close to equaling the preformance of an AMD 64 3200 (...single core). Hmm..