[SOLVED] Constant bios beeping when changing the ram Gigabyte motherboard

TheDimiskov

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I bought a single 16gb 2400 mhz ram stick and when i install it the mobo beeps constantly(fast beeps). The stick is compatible with the mobo and i did reset the cmos. Previous sticks work fine. New stick is the same speed as the old ones 2400mhz
MB: Gigabyte x99 ud3
Edit: i did try putting the stick in all slots and i olnly installed the new ram sitck wich i intend to use

Last edited:
Solution
It sounds like you have tried most of the usual troubleshooting steps. The only things that comes to mind, are compability issues, or perhaps you could try resetting CMOS one more time, although you already tried.

Make sure the PC is completely disconnected from everyhing. Drain risidual power from the PSU by pressing the power button for 30 seconds, remove the battery and leave it out, maybe even longer than neccessary, before reconnecting everything. Before you boot again, make sure you use the corect DIMM for single stick use.

I realize it might not lead anywhere and feels like a waste of time. But the RAM stick is confirmed working on your freind's PC, if I understood you correctly

Have you consulted your manual to identify what...
Are you trying to use both your original RAM stick and the new one together, or have you replaced the original stick with the new one, and no longer using the first stick?

If you are trying to use both RAM sticks together, that could possibly be the cause of your problem.

Only complete RAM kits, with the total amount of capacity and number of modules you want, are guaranteed to work together.

Single RAM modules, bought seperately instead of in a matched kit, don't always work - even identical RAM sticks of same manufacturer and specifications, are not guaranteed to work together.

Sometimes it will work, other times it won't - lots of people are successfully using mixed RAM. But sometimes it just causes a lot of problems

Did you try using just the new module on its own, to see if it boots?

Try the new stick alone, in each DIMM channel at a time and see if it boots

Reactions: TheDimiskov

TheDimiskov

Reputable
May 5, 2015
Are you trying to use both your original RAM stick and the new one together, or have you replaced the original stick with the new one, and no longer using the first stick?

If you are trying to use both RAM sticks together, that could possibly be the cause of your problem.

Only complete RAM kits, with the total amount of capacity and number of modules you want, are guaranteed to work together.

Single RAM modules, bought seperately instead of in a matched kit, don't always work - even identical RAM sticks of same manufacturer and specifications, are not guaranteed to work together.

Did you try using just the new module on its own, to see if it boots?

Try the new stick alone, in each DIMM channel at a time and see if it boots
I forgot to mention that i tried only with the new stick, i didnt mix them togehter

That's one possible problem eliminated.

Have you tried the new RAM stick in all DIMMs? Try to see if it works in a different socket

EDIT: How did you clear CMOS? By a jumper or a switch on the motherboard, or by removing the CMOS battery and draning residual power from the system before putting the battery back in its place?

TheDimiskov

Reputable
May 5, 2015
I did try putting the ram in all 4 slots and it was the same, by removing the cmos battery.
The ram model is Kingston 16GB 2400MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL17 DIMM 2Rx8, KVR24N17D8/16

I hope you don't take it as if I'm suggesting you didn't do everything possible before posting, but sometimes it is not a bad idea going over it again, so everyone replying are up to speed, before suggesting new possible solutions.

It sounds like you've tried pretty much everything, so a faulty RAM stick doesn't seem completely out of the question.

But it would be nice if it is just a simple solution

Is it in any way possible for you to test the RAM stick in a different PC, perhaps with a friend or family member. This could be a quick way to eleminate several possible causes for the issues

It sounds like you have tried most of the usual troubleshooting steps. The only things that comes to mind, are compability issues, or perhaps you could try resetting CMOS one more time, although you already tried.

Make sure the PC is completely disconnected from everyhing. Drain risidual power from the PSU by pressing the power button for 30 seconds, remove the battery and leave it out, maybe even longer than neccessary, before reconnecting everything. Before you boot again, make sure you use the corect DIMM for single stick use.

I realize it might not lead anywhere and feels like a waste of time. But the RAM stick is confirmed working on your freind's PC, if I understood you correctly

Have you consulted your manual to identify what the beep codes from your motherboard are trying to indicate as the problem? I would suspect it indicates RAM, but you never know.

Hopefully someone else will see your thread soon, who has some better advice than what I'm able to suggest

Solution
When I look at the QVL for supported RAM for a Haswell-E CPU and your motherboard, I am not able to find your RAM stick anywhere under compatibility for 2400MHz

A slower model of the same RAM is listed in the 2133MHz section, though, but that doesn't guarentee compatibility for the 2400MHz model you have.

According to Kingston, the RAM you have are 2400 MHz only. Not 2133 MHz capable of 2400MHz

Since your CPU supports a maximum memory frequency of 2133MHz without memory overclocking, this could be the reason for your problems.

Sometimes RAM downclocks itself, but often the RAM has a lower base frequency of 2133MHz for example, with a higher XMP frequency. Your RAM is 2400MHz only, as a baseline at least - I would say that it should be able to run at slower speeds.

You have a Z-series chipset, which has more options and settings available for RAM, but I suspect that this RAM module you have bought, prevents you from actually getting into BIOS in the first place

This is the potential problem, as I see it. I might be wrong, but it could certainly also be the actual reason for you problems - it appears to be a compatibility issue.

Your friend probably has a different CPU with higher native support for memory frequency

Hopefully someone else is able to confirm or rule out my suspicion

Last edited: