[SOLVED] Constant FPS drops on new system when playing games.

Sep 6, 2019
Hello, I’ve had this pc built for a week now and over the past few days have had the chance to play on it and have been thoroughly enjoying it... for the most part. Everything started off fine and coming from console I was ecstatic about getting 240 FPS. Then a couple days ago I started noticing I was getting random FPS drops. I was very confused at first and did some research and changed some optimizations within windows 10 and double checked all my drivers and then the problem seemed to be fixed only to have the same issue later on the very next day. Eventually I got frustrated and couldn’t find any issues and just got off and went to bed. Here we are today. Initially I got on and was immediately having the same FPS issues on one game, and then switched to another where everything was working fine for a few hours, and then the same issue occurred on that game. I’ve been trying to find out the issue for the past few hours and have ran multiple tests and tried multiple solutions for nothing to turn up, bringing me here in hopes that someone may have a solution for me.

The two games I referred to were Minecraft and Fortnite. I also play R6 Siege but haven’t noticed any issues on there yet, although I have played since the FPS issues started occurring. I do run shaders on Minecraft and generally get 60-90 FPS and with the shaders off I get 250+. Ever since the FPS issues started occurring though I average 20-30 with shaders with random FPS drops from 3-9. Without shaders it drops to around 30. For Fortnite I hardly ever go below 200. FPS (lowest settings) and now I’m averaging 170 with random FPS drops to 30 making the game unplayable in some circumstances. I’m just at a loss as to what could be causing this and don’t know what to do anymore. As far as temps go I average 30-40c idle and 45-60c under load. I’ve ensured all my drivers are up to date multiple times, ran a windows memory diagnostics test and cinebench 20. If anymore information is needed I would be happy to provide it but I could really use some help. Thanks in advance!

Scores: Cinebench 20- 2952
Unigine Heaven- 5493 (Direct3D11 - 1920x1080 - High)

Parts:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/gNMZxr

Last edited:
Solution
This may sound odd, but try setting your memory to the default DDR4 default speed of 2133 (or setting your memory speed to AUTO) and trying again. See if your performance changes.
About this point I'd be looking at what you have running in the background. I ran into a problem on Doom where my hardware was capable of 100+fps and I was getting 40. Turned out that Razer's software was interfering with stuff, I'm not even sure what stuff because my system's resource usage was still fairly low on CPU and RAM. I uninstalled Razer's software and I was back in business. So, try disabling programs that launch at start up and see if that has any effect.

Sep 6, 2019
About this point I'd be looking at what you have running in the background. I ran into a problem on Doom where my hardware was capable of 100+fps and I was getting 40. Turned out that Razer's software was interfering with stuff, I'm not even sure what stuff because my system's resource usage was still fairly low on CPU and RAM. I uninstalled Razer's software and I was back in business. So, try disabling programs that launch at start up and see if that has any effect.
Thank you for the suggestion. I disabled nearly all start up apps that were not necessary and restarted my computer, however, I am still getting FPS drops in game.

Sep 6, 2019
Currently im only using ccleaner on my computer but I temporarily downloaded Adware cleaner, Rougue Killer, and MalwareBytes. All three of which came up clean. Initially when installing the chipset drivers I downloaded them from my motherboards site and then later reinstalled the most up to date from AMD.

Currently im using AMD Ryzen Balanced, however, I have cycled through all of them to see if any of them solved the FPS drops.

Sep 6, 2019
No. I deleted all three anti-malware apps after i was done using them. And no, I have not overclocked anything. The only adjustment I made in the bios was setting my ram to its rated speed of 3200.

Sep 6, 2019
Okay, so over this last week when I wasnt working, I was able to test your proposed solution and it seems to have worked. Initially I went into the BIOS and manually decreased the memory speed by disabling DOCP which set the memory speed back to 2133. Played my games for a day and noticed no major FPS drops. The next day I increased the speed back up to 3200 to confirm as to if that was the issue and sure enough the FPS drops came back. However, once I set it back again, the FPS drops did not go away. Looking back its possible I manually reset them to 2133 instead of turning off DOCP but I cant be certain. Once that didnt work I ended up just resetting the BIOS to factory settings in case I had adjusted something else and forgotten about it and here we are now with no major FPS drops. I do still occasionally get them but they are few and far and generally only near heavier loads. At the very least my games are playable and enjoyable. Im going to continue to monitor the situation of the next week to make sure the problem is solved for good, however, im curious as to why increasing ram speeds (especially to what they are rated for) would cause the FPS drops. Is it compatablity issues with the Mobo and Ram? Perhaps the auto adjustments the Mobo makes when enabling DOCP and increasing the speed? From my understanding Ryzen systems are supposed to benefit from faster Ram, so is there a possible way to increase the speeds without causing the FPS drops?

Regardless of whether or not there is thank you so much for helping find a solution!