[SOLVED] Constant FPS Drops, Stutters and Screen Tearing

Sep 13, 2021
Hello everyone, I hope I am posting this correctly.
BENCHMARK HERE: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46244398
My build is:
Mob0: B550 Aourus Elite V.1
Processor: Ryzen 7 3700x 8-core, 16-Thread
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra
RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Intel XMP 2.0 Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C16D-16GVKC
I also play at 1440p
PC is driving me crazy. It is my first rig that I saved for four years to get. There should be absolutely no reasons it is struggling to play Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Hunt: Showdown, or even Minecraft smoothly. Everything is up to date when it comes to drivers and firmware. Tests come up fine yet I still get inconsistent frames, stutters and screen tear. Please, any advice is extremely welcomed - I'm at wit's end.

Solution
First - check your psu cables, ram stick should fit correctly. If you overclocked cpu, maybe it should be a problem.
Download DDU and uninstall gpu driver, and then download and install again (turn off windows update). Restart the computer.
Download Intel Burn test or aida and run it for 10 minutes. Follow the temps and power consuption.
Download and install MSI Afterburner and RTSS. Follow the temps and power consuption.

This is good rig and I have the same PSU (i7 10700k, 1080ti, 16Gb ddr4 3600MHz). Mine sttuters only on Forza Horizon 4 on some scenes. On other games - no problems.
Sep 13, 2021
Have you tried a fresh install of Windows? To try and rule a software issue Id do a fresh install and only install motherboard and gpu drivers and few games.

What are the gpu and cpu temperatures when gaming?
I can use MSI Afterburner to check that right? If so, I'll check temps after I get home from work. I'm new to PC gaming so I still don't know some terms and best softwares to use.

Sep 13, 2021
MSI Afterburner is a good tool for this
So I did a complete clean install. I even got rid of the Windows and Nvidia's driver bloatware. It seems to play Hunt: Showdown at it's highest settings more consistently than before, with a stutter happening every 2o mins or so, but I believe that may have been packet loss(Not sure if packet loss causes something like that). However, Mass Effect Legendary Edition plays much the same with constant choppiness and screen tearing. Also, the CPU stays between 75-80 degrees under load ( I think that's the term for it). Here is the latest benchmark I did:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46279583

vladakv

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2016
First - check your psu cables, ram stick should fit correctly. If you overclocked cpu, maybe it should be a problem.
Download DDU and uninstall gpu driver, and then download and install again (turn off windows update). Restart the computer.
Download Intel Burn test or aida and run it for 10 minutes. Follow the temps and power consuption.
Download and install MSI Afterburner and RTSS. Follow the temps and power consuption.

This is good rig and I have the same PSU (i7 10700k, 1080ti, 16Gb ddr4 3600MHz). Mine sttuters only on Forza Horizon 4 on some scenes. On other games - no problems.

Solution
Sep 13, 2021

So I did a complete clean install. I even got rid of the Windows and Nvidia's driver bloatware. It seems to play Hunt: Showdown at it's highest settings more consistently than before, with a stutter happening every 2o mins or so, but I believe that may have been packet loss(Not sure if packet loss causes something like that) - but still stutters nonetheless. However, Mass Effect Legendary Edition plays much the same with constant choppiness and screen tearing. Also, the CPU stays between 75-80 degrees under load ( I think that's the term for it). Here is the latest benchmark I did:https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/46279583

Reactions: vladakv