constant Lag windows 7 64 bit

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Catalin Ivanciu

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013
about 4 days ago i started having constant lag while using chrome or simply doing stuff that require minimun processor speed as i have a core 2 duo 7300 on win 7 64 bit with 4 gigs of ram ...while clicking on a simple game and waiting to log in my pointer froze for about 10 seconds , that really made me freak out ...so i started cleaning the pc piece by piece ...fans ..dust and everything , until it was like new ...so windows booted and it was the same damn problem again , i reistaled windows ...a fresh new copy of win7 64 bits ...of course i formated the partition where windows was installed thinking it was a virus ...and for about 2 days now im struggling to understand why google chrome and other simple programs take up so much of my processor ..i mean when i scroll down on facebook my processor goes from 0 to 100% in a few seconds ...internet explorer does the same ...its a long story indeed but my computer dosent actualy run like it should ...my motherboard is a mini version with only 2 slots of ram ...and its chipset is at 40 celsius while idle ...goes around 45 when im playing or doing something that requires more power ...cpu same ...35 constant ...40-45 when playing ...and last ..my video board ...now this one is a big problem as it stays at 40 celsiul in idle with fan running at 40% ...and in games it goes as far as 80 celsius with the fan running at 100% speed ....using msi afterburner ...video board is nvidia gt 630 1 gb -128 ddr5 ...and my psu 550w for gaming ....all my computer parts are new ....the processor is the only part i had lying around the house ...and i did use it for about 1 year before i changed my computer parts ...oh and hdd seagate 1 tb 7200 ...forgot to mention that i changed the thermal paste on the cpu while i was cleaning my computer ...so yeah , my mind is blown and im already completly scared that im gonna be left without a computer ....can't understand what the problem is ...ive googled for like 2 days now and tried alot of combinations ...if anyone could care to help ....i would be deeply in dept ...sorry about my english ...! ...when playing games computer runs normal ..like it should ..windows is the actual problem ...chrome ...skype ..utorrent and other simple programs that should work just fine ....

Solution

Catalin Ivanciu

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

you seem to know what im talking about , i searched google all night long and i fount lots of svchost related issues ...some suggested a clean boot and i tried that ...3 or 4 svchost but i tested out the processor lag by holding left click on desktop and dragging it all along the background ....explorer.exe was still creating lag ....how can this be ? im playing league of legends and only half of my processor is being used ....before installing windows i played need for speed " the run " and it worked like it should ....if this is a processor issue why does it work with bigger programs and not with insignificant ones

Catalin Ivanciu

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

the problem existed before i started cleaning my computer ....i tought the ram might be full of negative energy and it would do some good to the computer if i left it unplugged for a while , but that was not the issue ....i can't aford a lega copy of windows ...even though that is not the problem here ....i have a low budget pc ...

Catalin Ivanciu

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

the sound is not the problem ....everything else does the same ...

We do not condone illegal activity, nor do we help those that are using pirated software - I will help you no further unless you're using a legal copy of windows... which Very Well Can Be the Issue

good luck

Catalin Ivanciu

Honorable
Apr 8, 2013

you dident help me at all to begin with , you barely have any ideea about computers from what i've seen and lastly ..i dont really care if you help me or not , take care now

"pease stop writing basic computer information and trying to help as any idiot can google search on how to properly format and instal a fresh copy of " legal " windows " ....my problem surpasses you

Oct 5, 2013

Oct 5, 2013
it happens no win 7 x64 sometimes after the auto hold mode.
try open yr power manager and check the settings
it usually donno why changes them into low power and auto save them angain donno why
but it happens so change them to full again and yll be allright!

YKY

Reputable
Jun 28, 2014

Thank you! I was working with my friends laptop for 2 days now, and was always having this issue.
I tried all antiviruses, nukeing hdd with dban, installing drivers over and over and over, but it was always the same.
And the solution was this... really Microsoft....

Whatever man thank you very much! You are the very bottom of the MAN!

Fred A

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

I am having the same lag issue. I am not that computer savvy. Where do I find the "power manager"?

Thanks.

rthamper

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

MegaXz

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
I recently windows rebooted my laptop to factory settings and it was fine. After I did a massive load of Windows Update and got to SP1, it was also fine. The next batch of 38 windows update however caused me to lag (even as I type this) on everything I do, this goes to browsing the internet, to working with graphics, to typing this for example there is a 1-2 second delay and playing any games. I already have an antivirus and I have a legit version of Windows 7 64-bit. What I suggest is not to download all of the windows update after SP1, or at least not the most recently released updates.

mahdi503

Reputable
Feb 14, 2015

--------
hey i start having the same problem 2 days ago , about every 1 or 2 min every thing lags from audio to video and mouse ,even youtube , mp3s , like the hole computer stops to half a second and then continue on.
my pc is a dell xps , i7 processor ,gtm540 , original win7 64bit
help please??????

Frankuss

Reputable
May 14, 2015

emm... where actualy it is, where can change low to full, where? u might higer and power save?

Hyperion_Unity

Reputable
May 27, 2015

Hi, your solution worked for me, except that I need to use the internet and your solution has me disable all the network adapters... Is there a deeper solution at play here?

AMilkisA

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

how did you do it?can you post here the exact thing you did?i am really confused.i too have this same problem.thanks :)

marikola

Commendable
Jun 1, 2016
hi!

i know it's a while, but i was very unhappy maself about the microstutters
after installing directx 9.0c on windows 7 the lag was gone! maybe it will work also for others.

regards