[SOLVED] Constant ping spiking every night, ISP(Vyve) says there is nothing wrong.

Solution
Most ISP can only see packet loss...well the level 1 techs are not to bright. The last time I called the tech did not even know what a ping command was, they follow their script and click the testing buttons it tells them to. Luckily the packet loss was so high their system could see it.

Time of day is almost always other users...ie your neighbors. The ISP could have oversold the network and the load gets high and data is being held in buffers. Most ISP will not even admit this problem. It is not very common anymore because the new technology has so much bandwidth a single user can not use it all.

This could also be some automated software in your house, many times it is something like a cloud backup that is using...
Most ISP can only see packet loss...well the level 1 techs are not to bright. The last time I called the tech did not even know what a ping command was, they follow their script and click the testing buttons it tells them to. Luckily the packet loss was so high their system could see it.

Time of day is almost always other users...ie your neighbors. The ISP could have oversold the network and the load gets high and data is being held in buffers. Most ISP will not even admit this problem. It is not very common anymore because the new technology has so much bandwidth a single user can not use it all.

This could also be some automated software in your house, many times it is something like a cloud backup that is using upload bandwidth. Upload rates are pretty slow and it is fairly easy to over use them.

When this is happening I would turn off the wifi on the router and unplug all but 1 machine to see if it goes away. Of course check the network tab of the one remaining machine to be sure it is not using bandwidth.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution