Constant redirects and new tabs opening up in Chrome.

stellarbanshee

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
This is very annoying I have dsl to begin with because that is all that is offered here so my speed is slow to begin with now I have a problem with new tabs constantly opening up every time I click no matter which site I am on seemingly. I use Avast, Spybot and Malwarebytes. I have run full scans and removed threats but still this problem remains. Malwarebytes blocks most but not all mostly from 162.210.192. It has been a long time since I have had any issues like this. Any help would be appreciated thank you in advance.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
Try these two programs, they usually work for me in situations like this.

Rogue Killer
32-bit - http://www.adlice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rendu2.png
64-bit - http://www.adlice.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/rendu2x64.png
Homepage (it's in French) - http://www.adlice.com/softwares/roguekiller/

Just run this, it doesn't install. Wait on it to finish loading a click scan then review the results and press delete.
You can also quickly clear any non-standard Hosts file entries, DNS records and Proxy settings with the buttons down the side.

ADWCleaner
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

This is mainly targeted at add-ware and annoying toolbars etc but also good at removing browser hijacks.

If you are still having problems boot into safe mode and run a full Malwarebytes scan from there. Also remember to clear out temporary files (I normally use CCleaner) and delete any restore points.

DCreasey811

Honorable
Feb 2, 2014

Stellarbanshee,
I went thru it all too, just go in and uninstall Google chrome delete any and all remaining files, run any malware software (malware bytes for instance) and go in and reinstall Google chrome. Easy and done.

pixeldude

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
In my case I had the same thing happening. Mine was due to a malicious Google Chrome Theme. Once I reset my theme back to the default, I didn't have any further issues.

arun100

Reputable
Aug 3, 2014
I had the same problem, no amount of resetting the browser to default mode or even installing chrome again (3 times) seemed to work, it was some website I visited that was responsible.

Finally I went to uninstall programs and did a mass uninstallation of all programs that I had not installed (would have been installed alongwith some program like Ask Search I had installed).

Now no problems at all

In Windows 8 you click the gear at bottom left of screen, find programs and features button in the drop down menu and uninstall each unknown program one by one (tedious but worth it)

Obsessive Fan

Reputable
Nov 6, 2014
Go to google and click settings, there's an box that is checked that stats "open every new results in a new browser". just uncheck it and save. This video should tell you more. [video="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kci8IhfxroA"][/video]

RoryWatt

Reputable
Nov 21, 2014

Hello there stellar, I had/have the same problem, I say that because I have just found the source of the problem as I type this now.
Like you, I ran a full Microsoft security essentials scan. Found nothing. I listed all my programs via the control panel. Found no harmful or advertisement software. Now here is how I found it, it's quite simple really, if you go on to task manager(either press Ctrl + Alt + Delete and select it there or right click the time at the bottom right and select it there also[Windows 7]), click on to processes, you will find a list of things running on your system. Scrolling down I found something called LuckyTab.exe*32 running <---- That is causing the random pages to appear. You may have something similar by name running too. To get rid of it: right click it, press "Open File Location" then right click that again and choose delete.
Hopefully that should get rid of the sneaky little ad. If you are unsure if something in task manager looks suspicious or not, I would post a screenshot of all your processes so others can help, but generally it is fairly simple to spot something naughty.
Thank you, hope this helps as it did with me.

EDIT: Sorry I missed this; you will need to open the file location of the suspicious process first, then go back to task manager, right click it again, and this time choose "End Process". Then go back to your folder showing the program, and delete it as I mentioned above.

lukjed

Reputable
Dec 14, 2014
had the same problem ... after days of trying to resolve the problem ive come across this program . at first i tought that its praboly another virus but then i if i allredy had a problem on my mac i decided to try it and it worked. it tookj less than 10 seconds to find all files and get rid of them .. its called ADWAREMEDIC.

nirish

Reputable
Apr 16, 2015
Hello, Im struggling with the same issue for several past days (Chrome + Win 7). Tried everything - removal+reinstal Chrome, CCleaner run, Microsoft Essentials run (to vain), Spybot full scan (found one -imo- unrelated malware, removed), installed Adblock Plus extension into Chrome. The issue was gone for a day or two tho Adblock Plus was behaving rather weirdly; the moment I turned it off all the redirects and pop-ups were back. Tried Malwarebytes, scan found random stuff, removed it, Chrome still redirecting and opening bullshit pages (just malwarebytes now kidly spams me every 3 seconds that it block some shitpage -_-). Also watchted running processes in Task Manager carefully, havent found anything suspicious, checked for the "new tabs" thing too. Month or two ago I actually did big clean-up of all unused programs and old games and removed everything I dont use, so...
So I gave up, installed Opera and live in peace now.
Obviously it was affecting only Chrome, which I find rather interesting (Internet Explorer I used briefly to re-download Chrome gave me aids and took 10years of my life, but actually didnt do the pop-ups either).
Over and over my pc is now clean as crystal and everything runs smoothly, besides old cookies and one sleepy-head malware there was nothing... obviously just Chrome got ad-ebola with ad-aids.

Update: I think I actually found the source of aids, when I open this webpage in Opera now: http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Official_Sunless_Sea_Wiki in the left bottom corner I can briefly see Opera trying to load like 20 different "ad-sounding" tabs. Obviously, Opera just blocks em and nothing happens but I guess this might be the original source of my Chrome problem. So anyone daring, click the webpage but expect aids inc :D (Im not 100% sure its that page but that loading spree is definitely fishy + problems started round the date I began visiting this page).

Ganeshgns

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015

Man thanks for the solution.Even after uninstalling all the addons ,extensions,homepages luckysearches was not uninstalling and was constantly redirecting me to useless pages using adw cleaner solved this issue! :)

Dingle-dangle

Reputable
Jun 6, 2015
After hours of searching for the answer this easy-peasy solution has worked for me.

1. enter the following in your address bar https://www.google.com/preferences
2. scroll down to "Where results open"
3. uncheck "Open each selected result in a new browser window"
4. close your browser and reopen
5. do a search
6. click on a search link (and note that a new tab does not open)
7. shout “Voilà!” -- (vwah-lah) an inter­jec­tion that is “used to call atten­tion, to express sat­is­fac­tion or approval, or to sug­gest an appear­ance as if by magic.”

This worked for me. I hope it works for you.

CerebralZombie

Reputable
Sep 10, 2015
When you open chrome and are on the Chrome home page, click: "Customize and control Google Chrome", go down to, "More Tools", then, "Developer tools", and move the mouse down the words n' links. Most will show what part of the page they are part of, I found one that was an odd link that'd shown nothing on the actual page.

Right clicked, deleted, and don't seem to have the issue any more!

I will keep you all up to date in case I am wrong!

KamZ

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016

KamZ

Commendable
Mar 12, 2016
click on setting (3 lines in the right up corner of your chrome window)...in the bottom click on "Show advanced settings" click "Reset Settings"....done

Eideanne

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

Man, I love you!! ;)

H2zone

Commendable
Oct 8, 2016
nice article after further more research
it is because your pc has any backdoor services installed so just identify unknown services and delete them and this malware set chrome default search engine with any unknown search engine so delete this search engine from chrome and change your desire search engine for that purpose follow this tutorial <br>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuM1tjncumE
<br>which has step by step guide to Manually remove any google chrome malware virus related to search engine without using any software.<br>
search engine default redirect virus examples are<br>
safefinder.com<br>
safesearch.ch<br>
Hoho Search virus<br>
mystartsearch.com<br>
web search <br>
feed sonic search <br>
etc