Question Constant "stutters" in most games

Jun 24, 2021
Hey!

I have lived with this problem for years. Sometimes i go back to it trying to fix it, then I get frustrated and just bear with it. Until next I get frustrated over the stutters.

Here is old video but what I also see
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3WvNxi-9fQ

My configuration

RTX 2080Ti 11G Windforce OC

Ryzen 7 3700x

Kingston Hyperx Fury 32GB DDR 3200Mhz CL16 1.35V

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk

Couple SSDs, windows for example running on m2. 1 Evo and 1 Chinese brand called GoldenFir (I did benchmarks for it and it was actually faster than evo at points). I have tried games on HDD, All the SSDs even m2. So games it fixes, like I think Cities skylines worked fine after moving it from HDD to SSD.

What I have tried? We swapped GPUs with friend for couple weeks. He said he doesn't get any stutters. I have changed whole motherboard, cpu and rams. Used to have I7-9700K with asus rog motherboard and a lot slower 2100 16gb ram. The only thing left is old PSU which is 750w. It was Seasonic Prime something. I have messed with windows settings. Like the power settings, game bar (which is disabled). Nvidia controlpanel settings. Game settings higher and lower. Vsync on/off, Gsync on/off. I have capped my fps to 60 and changed my monitor refresh rate to 60 as well just in case. Have tried HDMI and Display. And different ports for Display. Also I have tried Overclocks on and off.

I know some people might be guessing thermal throttling. So let me say this, I have X52 cooler on my CPU so it runs highest at 60c while full speed ahead. My GPU after thermal paste change has gone from 85c to 72c at highest.

My Ram usage usually doesn't get too high cuz well, 32gb.

I have heard about dropping voltages on ram, but I am too scared to do it. I am not even sure how much I should do it. Afraid to break something.

Could bad voltage from plug cause it? I live in a old house.

Thanks for everyone already, I hope to get this fixed. Been considering selling it cheap and buying gaming laptop because i could carry it around more easily. But rather fix it, I have spent tons of money on it :/

/weird note, some games work perfectly like Destiny 2 and World WarZ

Jun 24, 2021
ram is 1 stick or 2? running at 3200?
did you reinstall windows when you switch from i7 to 3700x?

it's 2 sticks, forgot to say. Looked from motherboard manual which slots are for dual channel.

And This time no, but i have done 4 fresh installs before. No change. Afraid to format my m2 again cuz i just see the size shrink slowly. But I always did fresh install by unplugging other SSDs, HDD etc.

Your 9700K single thread performance was about 10% better than the 3700X.
I doubt that you gained anything from adding the extra 8 threads.
I think you would go a long way to improving performance by replacing the 3700X with a 5000 series processor.
A 5600X would give you about a 20% boost in per core performance. 5800x would be better.

Jun 24, 2021
Your 9700K single thread performance was about 10% better than the 3700X.
I doubt that you gained anything from adding the extra 8 threads.
I think you would go a long way to improving performance by replacing the 3700X with a 5000 series processor.
A 5600X would give you about a 20% boost in per core performance. 5800x would be better.
It wasn't about performance anymore. I barely could afford what i bought now because of my currenct situation. I just with some logic thought i could get rid of the problem. Cuz GPU worked with friend.

D

Deleted member 14196

did you test the ram with memtest86

what speed is the ram running -- you never answered that. post a screenshot of the SPD tab from CPUz

did you install the approprate chipset drivers after clean windows installs?

Jun 24, 2021
did you test the ram with memtest86

what speed is the ram running -- you never answered that. post a screenshot of the SPD tab from CPUz

did you install the approprate chipset drivers after clean windows installs?
I have tried the other memtest, it was fine. But let me try the 86 if i know how to use it.

I forgot that, I assumed it's 3200 cuz that's what the speed is. But it shows it's running at 2400?

And yup I did, and used DDU for gpu.

Doesn't let me upload images...

Doing the Memtest for usb stick right now, I'll post stuff when i learn to use it and when it's ready.

D

Deleted member 14196

so we need to get your memory properly set.

in the BIOS did you enable XMP Profile?

The Memory Guru's will be responding I hope. They can properly get voltages set if the XMP doesn't work. I'm thinking you will get this to work.

Jun 24, 2021
so we need to get your memory properly set.

in the BIOS did you enable XMP Profile?

The Memory Guru's will be responding I hope. They can properly get voltages set if the XMP doesn't work. I'm thinking you will get this to work.

It was off but I enabled profile 1 from XMP. Now windows shows 3200.

Yeah seems like this fixed it. But still i have heard some rumors about setting timings etc manually can also revolve stutter.

D

Deleted member 14196

It was off but I enabled profile 1 from XMP. Now windows shows 3200.

Yeah seems like this fixed it. But still i have heard some rumors about setting timings etc manually can also revolve stutter.
since the XMP profile fixed it, it's there is NO NEED for manually adjusting memory. It doesn't stutter anymore in games? have you tested. if so, great.

you only need to manually overclock if XMP doesn't work

Jun 24, 2021
since the XMP profile fixed it, it's there is NO NEED for manually adjusting memory. It doesn't stutter anymore in games? have you tested. if so, great.

you only need to manually overclock if XMP doesn't work
Weirdly enough, I also changed the wallplug my pc is in. And now there are lesser stutters at least? I'll test more and come back if there are still problems. Thank you so far!

Jun 24, 2021
Sadly it wasn't that easy. Still consant stutters. Or idk if it's normal in system shock demo. Cuz in some games, they seem to work better. Like Deep rock galactic and SCP secret laboratory.

Edit: 16 minutes of man of medan and when kid appeared (Jump scare), there was a stutter.

Last edited: