[SOLVED] Constantly resetting CMOS to power on

May 13, 2019
I have a really vexing problem with a new PC that I built, and I don't understand what might be the issue.

At times my computer won't power on, and the only solution is to pull out the motherboard CMOS battery, wait, and then put it back in. I've tested my PSU, and it works in other setups.

The first time it wouldn't power on I don't know why it happened.

The second time I was trying to add a third drive to the new system, and then today it happened after powering down, pulling out the peripheral attachments (keyboard, mouse, and display), using them on another PC and then putting them back.

My system has a Ryzen 5 2600, MSI RX 580 ARMOR OC, 16GB RAM, WD Black 1TB HDD, and the primary drive is an M.2 500GB NVMe. It has a Corsair RM 550X delivering power, and the mobo is a B450 Aorus Elite. These are all new components. The case is an NZXT h500 if that matters, and the power is coming from a standard power bar that is plugged into a surge protector.

Overall, the system runs well and doesn't overheat when it's active, but this can't be normal.

Any suggestions?

Solution
Thanks for your help folks. I got another PSU and as soon as I powered up with the new PSU everything went back to normal. The faulty PSU had passed the paper clip test several times so I didn't think that was it, but once I swapped it out the problem disappeared. Relieved that it was such an "easy" fix.
May 13, 2019
Thanks for your help folks. I got another PSU and as soon as I powered up with the new PSU everything went back to normal. The faulty PSU had passed the paper clip test several times so I didn't think that was it, but once I swapped it out the problem disappeared. Relieved that it was such an "easy" fix.

Solution