Question Continued Issues

May 22, 2019
CPU: Intel i7
PSU: Main 550w Dynex/350w Unknown brand
Motherboard:Asus P8H61-M Pro
Storage: 1Tb Hard Drive
Ram: 2 4Gb Sticks of a unknown brand
Running Windows 10

A run down of my problem is my both my PSU are acting weird or something other than them is. I had a 550 wattage PSU start up my computer for a split second (CPU Fan spins) then immediately cut off. So I use a 350 PSU to see if the problem continues and it does the same thing. Although I have gotten it to successfully to turn on and get to my Desktop. For the past 2 or so weeks I’ve been running with the lower wattage PSU no issues other than my GPU not being able to be used since it doesn’t have the right pins. Now I rolled the dice and switched back to the normal 550 and like I expected it didn’t work and going back to the 350 it went back to doing the same as the 550. I’m just confused on what’s the issue. Have no idea what I need to replace and hopefully somebody can help.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you got to the desktop a couple times, I guess we can assume the wiring is correct. I still think it is PSU-related. But to help verify, you should really breadboard it...

Disassemble the system. Set the motherboard on an insulated surface (like the box it came in). Connect just the CPU/cooler, RAM*, monitor to integrated video, and 550W PSU. Start the system by momentarily shorting the two FP pins that the case's power button wires would connect to. See if you get a display and all looks good up to that point. If not, swap PSUs.

While the board is out of the case, check to see that you didn't add an extra un-needed standoff where one doesn't belong. It may have been shorting out the back of the board. Same goes for any foreign matter that could have rolled under the board during assembly.

If you get the PC working, what gfx card were you planning on using?

* see if your motherboard manual requires one of the memory slots to be populated first. Some do, most don't anymore.