Continuous crashing even after swapping components

Sep 6, 2018
Hi, I hope someone can help, and I hope this is in the correct place for this question.

Here are my specs:
AMD M5A78L-M PLUS/USB3
AMD FX-8350 8 core 4.0ghz
Corsair VS650
GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Boost (previously AMD Radeon HD7770)

My PC would randomly crash to black screen. When I reboot I receive the "ASUS anti-surge" message. I read some advice about disabling the anti-surge protection in bios, so I tried that but the crashes continue the same. At first I thought it could be overheating, but the crashes seem random: sometimes I can run the PC for 5 or 6 hours, sometimes just for 5 minutes, and other times it simply won't boot up at all. Powering off the PSU at the back for an extended time seems to bring the PC back to life for a little while, but then the crashes will return again.

At first I replaced the PSU but the crashes continue. (Is the "ASUS anti-surge" message a red herring?) I tried a new GPU, and still the same crashes. I replaced the RAM, still crashes. I replaced the Motherboard, and still crashes.

The most success I had was reinstalling Windows and the PC ran fine for 1-2 days. But then the crashes returned, and it wouldn't boot again until I leave everything unplugged for a while with the PSU switched off at the back. Reseating the parts also seems to bring it back to life for a while.

I could just keep buying new parts in the hope of finding the problem but I feel like I'm wasting money at this point. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Solution
This may be going out on a limb....but you've replaced most everything except the CPU.

I'd measure the AC voltage at the wall outlet.

From what I've seen regarding the ASUS Anti Surge.....it monitors the voltages of your PSU and if they get out of whack you get that error.

I'd also be checking the voltages with HWMonitor and a volt meter especially because you are getting that error.
This may be going out on a limb....but you've replaced most everything except the CPU.

I'd measure the AC voltage at the wall outlet.

From what I've seen regarding the ASUS Anti Surge.....it monitors the voltages of your PSU and if they get out of whack you get that error.

I'd also be checking the voltages with HWMonitor and a volt meter especially because you are getting that error.

Solution