[SOLVED] Continuous, random ntoskrnl.exe BSOD "Critical Process Died" Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help on this forum because I usually am able to fix my own technical issues but this one has been driving me crazy. Recently my old hard drive that had windows on it started to fail after 5 years of continuous use so I decided to buy a new hard drive (Seagate 1TB) and do a fresh install of windows on that. Everything seemed to go fine as Windows 10 Home installed seemingly fine and I used Iobit Driver Booster to install the latest drivers for my hardware. But just recently I have come up with many random BSOD all pointing to a problem with ntoskrnl.exe as noted with WhoCrashed. I will provide my crash reports down below. I have tried many different methods from reinstalling some drivers, trying to command prompt codes that I found on YouTube, and most recently I just uninstalled the latest windows 10 update (hopefully that fixes it). But honestly, I am stumped, I do not know how to fix this re-occurring problem. If anyone has any methods of helpings me that would be most greatly appreciated. Other information that might be useful is that I do use MSI afterburner but I am using the same overclocking speeds I used on my old hard drive and back then it did not give me problems. I recently did lower the clocking speeds for the possibility that that might be an issue but I do not know. I also have noticed code 56 WAN Miniport IP driver had a little hazard sign next to it when I went to go check on my drivers, I do not know if that has anything to do with this BSOD though. Also, I have tested my ram and there were no issues with my ram.

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-5E91EEE
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 25695698944 bytes (23.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

On Thu 11/19/2020 2:47:25 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-29968-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x3F5210)
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF8C07316E2080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a critical system process died.
There is a possibility this problem was caused by a virus or other malware.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!RtlLookupFunctionEntry+0x82)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

On Thu 11/19/2020 1:29:05 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-32781-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFCB05C7FBF240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Thu 11/19/2020 12:24:04 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-26500-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF8F06A8C9D080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 11/18/2020 11:10:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111820-23859-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFD28390D06080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-23593-01.dmp

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 5 are included in this report. If dump files are found and they could not be analuzed, it means they are corrupted. Because crash dumps are an emergency measure it is not uncommon for this to happen, however often it points to a problem in the storage stack. It is suggested that you run CHKDSK on your system drive to check your drive for errors.
A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ntdll.sys

Last edited:
Solution
This issue has been solved! It was caused by a faulty PSU! I changed my old 7 year plus psu for a new one and after reinstalling windows there has been no crashes for almost a week of heavy use! Hopefully this thread can help others solve this annoying BSOD that can be caused by the PSU! Thanks again for all the help!

Colif

Win 11 Master
A) driver booster has a tendency to install wrong drivers, I wish you hadn't used it.
B) can you go to c:/windows/minidump
copy the files here to another folder
upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website.
show links here.

critical process died is a BSOD caused by a critical windows file crashing. it isn't necessarily a driver error. Problem is there are many files that can cause this error, some are to do with boot, some are to with logon and some are just necessary for win 10 to operate.
Does it happen at a particular time? logon? or while PC is running?

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. If ntoskrnl was the cause, windows wouldn't work at all.

C) can you remove the overclock while we look for problems

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
A) driver booster has a tendency to install wrong drivers, I wish you hadn't used it.
B) can you go to c:/windows/minidump
copy the files here to another folder
upload copies from new folder to a file sharing website.
show links here.

critical process died is a BSOD caused by a critical windows file crashing. it isn't necessarily a driver error. Problem is there are many files that can cause this error, some are to do with boot, some are to with logon and some are just necessary for win 10 to operate.
Does it happen at a particular time? logon? or while PC is running?

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. If ntoskrnl was the cause, windows wouldn't work at all.

C) can you remove the overclock while we look for problems

For some reason, my computer decided to become even more annoying and for the last 2 hours, I have been battling it with a new problem, BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO. It got stuck in an infinite loop and was even worse than before, I couldn't even get into my own windows desktop. I tried every method there was out on the internet and nothing worked so I decided to do a fresh reinstall of windows 10 on the same drive. This should also hopefully help me with my current BSOD of critical process died, I hope. What do you suggest I use to have my drivers up to date if I don't use driver booster? This time around I won't use driver booster but I would still like to have my drivers up to date. Any suggestions?

Colif

Win 11 Master
BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.
not a fun error, reinstall seems to be best fix for it.
hopefully critical process is fixed with reinstall.

ideally you download latest drivers from Asus website - https://rog.asus.com/au/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/
windows likely has newer versions of the intel lan driver and realtek Audio, but i would use Asus for everything else given it still has drivers from 2020.

I use Driverview - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html - to check what drivers I have installed
All it does is looks at drivers installed; it won't install any

When you run it, go into view tab and set it to hide all Microsoft drivers, will make list shorter.
if you lucky drivers have a creation date, otherwise you use the version number to see when it was released.

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
Hello everyone,

Hope someone is able to help me resolve these unknown BSOD. I recently changed my OS onto a new hard drive since my old one was dying (fresh install of windows 10) but all I have been getting recently are random BSOD. I did not use Iobit Booster for any driver updates, I just used my motherboards manufacturer program (Asus Grid Beta) to update my drivers and GeForce Experience for my graphics driver. But I still get random BSOD and I have no idea from where this could be coming from. Below are the crash reports of why my computer crashed the last few times. Here is the link to my crash dump files (if you don't see MEMORY.DMP wait 30 min, I'm currently uploading it):
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nNG7APAasE-oQzINs270gUgeJ1515WFP?usp=sharing
If anyone is able to help me solve this issue it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

On Fri 11/27/2020 2:07:00 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112720-29359-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000006, 0xFFFFF8065F451112, 0xFFFFA901D06A6570, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 11/27/2020 2:07:00 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x8209)
Bugcheck code: 0x3B (0xC0000006, 0xFFFFF8065F451112, 0xFFFFA901D06A6570, 0x0)
Error: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug check description: This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.

On Fri 11/27/2020 12:57:46 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112720-28203-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFE6831299A240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

Hi everyone, I hope I can get some help on this forum because I usually am able to fix my own technical issues but this one has been driving me crazy. Recently my old hard drive that had windows on it started to fail after 5 years of continuous use so I decided to buy a new hard drive (Seagate 1TB) and do a fresh install of windows on that. Everything seemed to go fine as Windows 10 Home installed seemingly fine and I used Iobit Driver Booster to install the latest drivers for my hardware. But just recently I have come up with many random BSOD all pointing to a problem with ntoskrnl.exe as noted with WhoCrashed. I will provide my crash reports down below. I have tried many different methods from reinstalling some drivers, trying to command prompt codes that I found on YouTube, and most recently I just uninstalled the latest windows 10 update (hopefully that fixes it). But honestly, I am stumped, I do not know how to fix this re-occurring problem. If anyone has any methods of helpings me that would be most greatly appreciated. Other information that might be useful is that I do use MSI afterburner but I am using the same overclocking speeds I used on my old hard drive and back then it did not give me problems. I recently did lower the clocking speeds for the possibility that that might be an issue but I do not know. I also have noticed code 56 WAN Miniport IP driver had a little hazard sign next to it when I went to go check on my drivers, I do not know if that has anything to do with this BSOD though. Also, I have tested my ram and there were no issues with my ram.

System Information (local)

Computer name: DESKTOP-5E91EEE
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2009, build: 19042
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor 8664, level: 23
12 logical processors, active mask: 4095
RAM: 25695698944 bytes (23.9GB)

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

Crash dump directories:
C:\Windows
C:\Windows\Minidump

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-29968-01.dmp

This was probably caused by the following module: ntdll.sys (ntdll!RtlLookupFunctionEntry+0x82)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntdll.sys .
Google query: ntdll.sys CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED

On Thu 11/19/2020 1:29:05 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-32781-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFCB05C7FBF240, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

On Thu 11/19/2020 12:24:04 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-26500-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFF8F06A8C9D080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

On Wed 11/18/2020 11:10:44 PM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111820-23859-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0xEF (0xFFFFD28390D06080, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)

The following dump files were found but could not be read. These files may be corrupted:
C:\Windows\Minidump\111920-23593-01.dmp

Conclusion

6 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 5 are included in this report. If dump files are found and they could not be analuzed, it means they are corrupted. Because crash dumps are an emergency measure it is not uncommon for this to happen, however often it points to a problem in the storage stack. It is suggested that you run CHKDSK on your system drive to check your drive for errors.
A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ntdll.sys
You are getting a in page error indicating that the system is unable to copy data from storage to the memory. Will take a look at the memory dump when I get to my desktop system

You are getting a in page error indicating that the system is unable to copy data from storage to the memory. Will take a look at the memory dump when I get to my desktop system
edit: start by disabling the iobit software. the fact that you were able to save a memory dump means that the drive was able to reconnect at some point.

looking at the memory dump. basically the system was trying to read from the registry and could not.
looks like you have one cpu core trying to access storage to read the registry, it got a inpage error and called the bugcheck.
2 other cpu cores were doing plug and play events. one was in the process of disconnecting the drive. (this explains the inpage error on the other core)

*** fix attempt, look in bios for your drive controller settings and look to see that you have how swap enabled. it will not fix the reason for a disconnect of a drive but will allow the drive to be reconnected if it becomes disconnected. you still need to figure out why it disconnected.

as to why it disconnected:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\drivers\win10_amd64\IUFileFilter.sys Mon May 18 03:49:42 2020 (5EC26846)
C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\drivers\win10_amd64\IUProcessFilter.sys Mon May 18 03:54:13 2020 (5EC26955)
C:\Program Files (x86)\IObit\IObit Uninstaller\drivers\win10_amd64\IURegistryFilter.sys Mon May 18 03:38:54 2020 (5EC265BE)

this 3rd program looks like a registry filter if it blocked access to the registry, then windows might think the drive is not responding and reset the connection to the drive. If your system does not have hot swap enabled in BIOS then the drive could not be reconnected. your system would run until something really needed to be paged in from storage. The length of time would depend on how much RAM is installed in your machine and what windows had already preloaded into RAM . It could be 5 minutes or even a few hours before the system would bugcheck.

other problems:

• Windows Defender definition updates pending (minor issue )
  • razor drivers might corrupt memory (not in this case, generally takes much longer than a hour)
  • mhyprot2.sys running. this is a game anti cheat software that can corrupt memory.
you can run cmd.exe as an admin then run
sc.exe stop mhyprot2.sys
this will stop the service until you reboot or run the command
sc.exe start mhyprot2.sys

I would leave the service off until i needed it for your then I would start the service again.

Note: this service did not cause this problem. it is just fyi.
look for other causes that could make a drive disconnect.
maybe update bios, and motherboard sata driver from the motherboard vendors website.
change the sata port to another port. sometimes sata ports have special connection properties. (generally the first port or the last port number can be special ports)
make sure you use a good sata connector and that the power connection is good.

note: you also have mixed memory modules running at
Speed 2133MHz
part number:
F4-3200C16-8GVKB
and
TL48G32S8RRGB16

you might want to look up the recommend setting for you cpu and these modules.

plug and play was trying to remove and eject some storage at the time of crash.

also, the debugger described your storage connection as
RaidPort0
are you running your storage in a raid configuration? which could require bios updates and special motherboard supplied storage drivers.
machine info:
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Product ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
Version Rev 1.xx
BIOS Version 0504
BIOS Starting Address Segment f000
BIOS Release Date 07/09/2018

looks like microsoft generic storage driver running.

Last edited:

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
Thanks for the response! Sorry but I'm not as educated as you in this subject so understanding what to do to fix my PC is somewhat unclear. So first off I should uninstall iobit uninstaller? (I will uninstall it after this post). Also how do I go about enabling hot swap in my BIOS? (I'll look it up for the time being to see if I can get this step done myself). I'll open up my computer and make sure that my OS hard drive is connected to the first port and make sure all wires are properly connected. I have no clue if I'm running a raid configuration, how do I figure that out? Is this a good or bad thing I should change? I will check if I need to update my BIOS through the manufacturers website as well. I'm almost certain my mixed RAM is good, I never had issues with it for the year that it was installed before I switched hard drives. If I missed anything I should do please let me know, otherwise explaining the questions I brought up would really help. Thanks again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have no clue if I'm running a raid configuration, how do I figure that out?
see page 3-15 - https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...ING/E14401_ROG_STRIX_B450-F_GAMING_UM_WEB.pdf - i tried to find answer to
how do I go about enabling hot swap in my BIOS?
but i didn't see it in manual. I just happened to find answer to second question instead.

3103 is latest safe bios, you are 16 versions behind... - https://rog.asus.com/nz/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b450-f-gaming-model/helpdesk_bios/ - You need to update chipset drivers before installing latest bios. At least none of the newer bios remove support for CPU, unlike some AMD board makers.

Manual has an entire section on how to update bios.

John wasn't who I was expecting to answer but I won't complain :)

Thanks for the response! Sorry but I'm not as educated as you in this subject so understanding what to do to fix my PC is somewhat unclear. So first off I should uninstall iobit uninstaller? (I will uninstall it after this post). Also how do I go about enabling hot swap in my BIOS? (I'll look it up for the time being to see if I can get this step done myself). I'll open up my computer and make sure that my OS hard drive is connected to the first port and make sure all wires are properly connected. I have no clue if I'm running a raid configuration, how do I figure that out? Is this a good or bad thing I should change? I will check if I need to update my BIOS through the manufacturers website as well. I'm almost certain my mixed RAM is good, I never had issues with it for the year that it was installed before I switched hard drives. If I missed anything I should do please let me know, otherwise explaining the questions I brought up would really help. Thanks again!

removing the iobit software is a good start. it could have caused a unexpected delay accessing the registry.
do that, then see if you still get a bugcheck. most of the other problems would take a long time to cause the system to bugcheck.
generally people only run raid when they have multiple drives and want to get extra speed. most likely you don't have one set up, just check the motherboard manual and make sure you have not plugged your sata drive into a special raid port. Raid might have special drivers and special hardware chips that would introduce other potential bugs.

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
I still had a recent crash as of yesterday but the amount of crashes has gone down after removing any iobit software. But I feel like I still have an issue with my setup as I still am crashing ever so often. What else can I do to fix this? What might still be the problem?

I still had a recent crash as of yesterday but the amount of crashes has gone down after removing any iobit software. But I feel like I still have an issue with my setup as I still am crashing ever so often. What else can I do to fix this? What might still be the problem?
kernel memory dump might help, i can take a look at internal error logs and the debugger can do a lot more automatic error checking than you can do with a minidump.

kernel memory dump might help, i can take a look at internal error logs and the debugger can do a lot more automatic error checking than you can do with a minidump.
even posting the minidump next minidump might help. minidumps only show what is going on with one cpu core. you might get lucky and catch the cause of a problem.

the kernel dump will show all of the cores and a lot more info on your hardware.

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
Just tonight it crashed 4 times in a row very quickly, rather spontaneously. I recently updated that google drive link with the latest minidumps and memory dumps. I changed my settings so that it will capture a kernel dump the next time it crashes. I will upload that once it does so. I also downloaded the windows Dbg application and ran the latest memory dump and will upload a text file with the following information from that memory dump onto the google drive link. Hopefully, you can take a look at that and see what might be causing these random crashes.

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
One last thing I would like to mention before heading to bed is that I have had the same PSU since I first built my PC which has been over 5 years ago. The PSU I have is the coolmax zx series zx-700. When I first built my computer I was building it on a budget and this PSU seems to have lots of bad/negative reviews. Coincidentally this ntoskrnl.exe BSOD has some correlation with bad power supplies (I have been doing some research and these two go hand in hand apparently). I am considering buying a new power supply for my rig what do you think? Also, I have uploaded the kernel dump under the folder 12-1-20 and inside the KERNELDUMP folder. If you can take a look at those minidump files and my memory dump files it might help to solve this issue. I have updated my BIOS as well to the latest stable version that you recommended. I am currently leaning towards it being a power supply issue but I would like to hear your input. Thanks again for all your help.

Identifier = REG_SZ AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2
ProcessorNameString = REG_SZ AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor
cpu speed ~MHz = REG_DWORD 3693 <-- i don't like this clock speed, generally I would expect speeds of multiples of 100. strange speeds can indicate overclocking, or bogus bios lookup tables, or wrong voltages applied.
this tends to happen when new cpus that use a lower voltage are put into a motherboard that does not have the bios update for that exact CPU . basically a voltage value gets converted to a clock rate or the clock rate gets converted to a voltage to be applied

system was trying to get a registry key and got an IO error
10: kd> !error 00000000c0000006
Error code: (NTSTATUS) 0xc0000006 (3221225478) - The instruction at 0x%p referenced memory at 0x%p. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0x%x.

looking at the stack it looks like the error code was 00000004
which would be:
10: kd> !error 4
Error code: (Win32) 0x4 (4) - The system cannot open the file.

might be related to this
fffff8017fe00000 fffff8017fe0c000 IURegistryFi
(sorry the name got cut off in the debugger listing)

it could be a part of a filter driver that was not removed from your system when you removed the iobit software.
you can search your drive for iuRegistryFi. to see if you can find the file.
you can start cmd.exe as an admin then run
cd:\
dir /s iuregistryfi.

it should search your drive for the file. i am not sure it will look in the hidden directories you you might run
attrib /s iuregistryfi.

if your first search does not find anything.

you can start cmd.exe as an admin then run
fltmc.exe
it will dump out a list of the filter drivers installed.
here is the list on my windows 10 machine:

C:\Windows\system32>fltmc

Filter Name Num Instances Altitude Frame
------------------------------ ------------- ------------ -----
bindflt 1 409800 0
WdFilter 7 328010 0
storqosflt 0 244000 0
wcifs 0 189900 0
CldFlt 4 180451 0
FileCrypt 0 141100 0
luafv 1 135000 0
npsvctrig 1 46000 0
Wof 5 40700 0
FileInfo 7 40500 0

if you find one you need to remove you could use
fltmc.exe unload (with the filtername)
fltmc.exe /? shows the options.

Last edited:

Pozole1745

Honorable
Mar 3, 2015
This issue has been solved! It was caused by a faulty PSU! I changed my old 7 year plus psu for a new one and after reinstalling windows there has been no crashes for almost a week of heavy use! Hopefully this thread can help others solve this annoying BSOD that can be caused by the PSU! Thanks again for all the help!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS