Question Control of CPU pump speed and taking measures when below certain value.

Jun 12, 2019
Hi :)

I recently built my own pc with a ROG STRIX Z390-F motherboard and an All-in-one liquid water cooler from Cooler Master (ML240l). The pumps 3-pin power connector is connected to the 4-pin AIO-pump header of the MoBo.

I wondered what would happen when the pump fails. Does the motherboard monitor those values and shutting down the system, or will the CPU overheat until the system crashes?

I would like to make sure that the PC shuts down when the AIO pump fails.

Best regards,
Pascal

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
CPU and motherboard will shutdown when the CPU reaches a maximum thermal limit. This is still below the thermal limit that will cause damage to a CPU and/or motherboard. In fact, nearly every component has a thermal limit value and will stop functioning before permanent damage occurs.

In a sense, the CPU temp will continue to rise until this value is met, and then the system will halt (crash). However, rebooting with a functional cooler it should startup and function just fine, assuming you didn't have any software errors due to the halt.

Reactions: Pascal92
Jun 12, 2019
CPU and motherboard will shutdown when the CPU reaches a maximum thermal limit. This is still below the thermal limit that will cause damage to a CPU and/or motherboard. In fact, nearly every component has a thermal limit value and will stop functioning before permanent damage occurs.

In a sense, the CPU temp will continue to rise until this value is met, and then the system will halt (crash). However, rebooting with a functional cooler it should startup and function just fine, assuming you didn't have any software errors due to the halt.

Ok, thanks for the reply!