Question Controlling maximum processor frequency (underclock)

May 16, 2019
Hello all. I’m writing from my Alienware 15 R4 (Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz). As you all know, Alienware often has trouble controlling temperature. I have changed some software settings (Intel XTU & power), but I am seeing something weird. Whenever I start certain games, core frequency jumps dramatically, thus increasing temp.

What I am thinking to do is to set a max frequency, then slowly decrease it until I find a good balance between temp and gaming performance. From researching, I have found posts suggesting altering “maximum processor state” in power options. When I change this value, the maximum frequency does get capped when I have no program running, as it will not go above that value (confirmed by setting extremely low value). Although true, as soon as I start a game the frequency shoots sky high.

This led me to looking at BIOS options. As my BIOS does not include any options relating to core frequency, I next tried enabling/disabling SpeedStep and Speed Shift options in BIOS. Disabling SpeedStep locked by frequency at 2.20GHz when starting a game, but allowed it to decrease when not active. Disabling Speed Shift locked my frequency at 2.20GHz constantly.

So the question is, what do I do? Gaming performance with SpeedStep disabled (max frequency 2.20GHz) was mediocre, so there has to be a way to find a happy medium. How can I set a max frequency at say 3GHz?

Thanks in advanced!

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
What you're asking to do is to lower the max turbo frequency to 3Ghz from 4.1Ghz. You're stuck with either leaving it on or off. If it's on you're not going to see consistent clock speeds of 4.1Ghz, but most likely closer to your 3Ghz target once the chip heats up. If the idea is to increase the longevity of the laptop just leave Turbo Boost off. With laptops you can't have your cake and eat it too when it comes to all out processor performance.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
Hello all. I’m writing from my Alienware 15 R4 (Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz). As you all know, Alienware often has trouble controlling temperature. I have changed some software settings (Intel XTU & power), but I am seeing something weird. Whenever I start certain games, core frequency jumps dramatically, thus increasing temp.

What I am thinking to do is to set a max frequency, then slowly decrease it until I find a good balance between temp and gaming performance. From researching, I have found posts suggesting altering “maximum processor state” in power options. When I change this value, the maximum frequency does get capped when I have no program running, as it will not go above that value (confirmed by setting extremely low value). Although true, as soon as I start a game the frequency shoots sky high.

This led me to looking at BIOS options. As my BIOS does not include any options relating to core frequency, I next tried enabling/disabling SpeedStep and Speed Shift options in BIOS. Disabling SpeedStep locked by frequency at 2.20GHz when starting a game, but allowed it to decrease when not active. Disabling Speed Shift locked my frequency at 2.20GHz constantly.

So the question is, what do I do? Gaming performance with SpeedStep disabled (max frequency 2.20GHz) was mediocre, so there has to be a way to find a happy medium. How can I set a max frequency at say 3GHz?

Thanks in advanced!
The frequency is going to jump in games because their lightly-threaded workloads allow for you to see those high max frequencies for a few cores, if you download HWMonitor you can see what the cores are running at exactly as well as individual temperatures.

Setting maximum CPU frequency to 99% in Windows Power Settings should effectively disable turbo.... that's odd.

You should have a fair amount of adjustability within XTU also. Sounds odd that you can't tame this thing.

What temps are you getting? 80-90C is pretty normal for laptops.

Last edited: