[SOLVED] Controls on headphones stop working as they should in cold weather

bad361

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
I bought a google pixel (1st gen) this summer and been using it since then without any issues..But recently something strange started happening with my headphones since winter came (avrg temp is -15).. The controls thing (mic + button to switch tracks that i use very often) on my first relatively new headphones just broke down out of nowhere. Since i use it often (even tho i can get an app and remap the volume buttons) i bought a new pair or headphones, tested them at home and they were working fine. But as soon as i went out the controls started to behave weird... The button for switching tracks was working ONLY AS PAUSE. I couldnt resume playing or switch tracks. And as soon as i came back home, everything was working fine again...

Could my phone jack be the issue? Could the weather temp be the issue? Could my previous controls + mic die because of the cold temp? wtf is happening.. The controls and the mic on previous headphones don't work at all...The controls and mic on recent ones work but go insane when i go out in the cold..

Solution
Faulty unit makes sense.

Likely some contraction due to cold that results in a disconnect.

Could be a defective component or a defect in assembly.

Not widespread problem over the product line.

Just bad luck in your case.

Ralston18

Titan
How cold is "cold". Noted -15: C or F?

Check headphone's specifications. Likely to be rated for some temperature range.

If the headphones are being used outside of the rated temperature range the headphones, or any product for that matter, is subject to problems and even failure.

And it may well be that that temperature range is "generous" or "optimistic".

In reality performance could suffer within the temperature range while nearing the upper and/or lower limits.

bad361

Prominent
Jul 31, 2018
-15 C..I've never ever had such a problem before. Anyway i suspect it to be a faulty unit...Will try to replace with the same one but new in 3-4 days and test again since this temperature bug is just plain stupid. The reviews of these headphones are very good and no one reported about that temp bug Its not even that low tem like -40/-50 C where there actually can be problems with tech. Also i tested my headphones with other phones and can definately report that the problem is TEMPERATURE. It works fine as soon as you are somewhere where its warmer.

Ralston18

Titan
Faulty unit makes sense.

Likely some contraction due to cold that results in a disconnect.

Could be a defective component or a defect in assembly.

Not widespread problem over the product line.

Just bad luck in your case.

Solution